DVDVR Message Board

A Rick & Morty Thread

RIPPA

I won’t go so far as to say Harmon is teflon, but his complete transparency about both his character flaws and his growth as a person in the last decade has kept him out in front of controversies like this. A lot of people can say they’ve grown since some transgression from their past, but few people have gone to such painful lengths to document it as he has. 

My impression of Harmon has long been that he's not cruel or possessed of vile beliefs, but that his filter and coping mechanisms are so fucking bad that I still feel sorry for anyone who chooses to be his friend, romantic partner or business partner.  That 101 bit that the counterfeit patriots are trying to use against him was unfunny and the bad kind of tasteless, but at the same time I can understand the thought process that led to it and the point he was trying to make, however ineptly. I think what the current shitstorm is going to end up proving, more than anything else, is how terrified Disney is of alienating a single human being on the planet rather than where THE LINE is or anything else people can learn from.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First episode of the new season was a definite hit for me. Nothing groundbreaking or hilarious, but consistently entertaining and funny. I got a big kick out of the Namor character and out of Morty inadvertently causing an entire community to devote its culture and history entirely to killing him.  I'll be interested to see if anything comes of this new twist on Jessica. I'm mostly just happy to have one more thing to look forward to every week for a while. 

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 3

So, I thought that first episode was maybe top 3 for me. It was also really weird watching it totally uncensored. I fell asleep last night and didn't watch it on Adult Swim and instead watched it on YouTube today.

For anyone who watched the version on cable, was it also uncensored?

Anyway, fucking hilarious. 

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

So, I thought that first episode was maybe top 3 for me. It was also really weird watching it totally uncensored. I fell asleep last night and didn't watch it on Adult Swim and instead watched it on YouTube today.

For anyone who watched the version on cable, was it also uncensored?

Anyway, fucking hilarious. 

Nope it was not it had beeping on Adult Swim. 

Learned something yesterday about the uncensored version on YouTube and censored version on Adult Swim/HBO Max/Google Play/Etc. Apparently it's Adult Swim's call and they want the show censored, which is...weird. It's also Adult Swim's call for every other outlet except for Apple to get the censored versions.

The whole thing is really, really dumb. And I would understand if it was a money thing, but even Google only sells the censored versions. At one point you could buy seasons 1-3 uncensored on Google, but not anymore.

It's funny that R&M's censoring/uncensoring has come up.  I had never really noticed how much they actually cuss in the show until a few days ago.  My son (4) and I were watching tv.  I put on The Bad Batch for him.  He lost interest and started playing so I figured I'd watch the last two episodes from last season on Hulu to get ready for the premier.  Hulu has the uncensored versions.  Of course, my son suddenly became VERY interested in what was on tv.  Luckily for me, he didn't pick up any new words.  He just asked, "Why is that grandpa always getting beat up so bad?"

So episode 2 of the new season is one of those "theme and variation" type shows, and also one of those "take a sci-fi concept to its most ludicrous extreme" shows. Rick and Morty is good at both of those and they combine well. Last seasons Snake Planet/Time Travel/Terminator episode was along the same lines, and I loved that one. This one didn't hit so hard for me on first viewing, probably because I think about The Terminator a lot but never really think about the implications of making duplicates copies of one's family. Unsurprisingly, Rick making duplicates of the Smith family leads to ever-escalating cycles of insane violence. I found it more interesting than funny on first go. Time will tell if repeat viewings elevate it to Mr. Meeseeks/Rattlestar Ricklactica territory. I think I'll let it sit and marinate for a few days before giving it my first re-watch. 

• Like 1

It also has the consequence of blowing any sense of continuity for the show right out of the water; it can always be attributed to a decoy you didn't know about.  Besides, remember Rick getting arrested in Ep 1?  Exactly.