DVDVR Message Board

A Rick & Morty Thread

RIPPA

It's quite possible that I was feeling manic from missing a dose of Xanax on Sunday so my emotions could have been all over the place, but episode 2 of this season had me cackling constantly for almost the whole thing. It did feel a little Mike Judge-y in a way in that they had a brilliant premise and a really good 1st and 2nd act of the episode, but then just kind of stumbled to find a way to end it. Even then, the stuff with Jerricky had me laughing pretty hard.

They're 2 for 2 this season, although the difference in Morty's voice was much more noticeable this time and he was again relegated to the background. Starting to get some Simpsons vibes though when that show basically became all about Homer and Bart got pushed more to the background. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing in the long run for Rick and Morty, but Morty has been through so much and had a lot of stuff wrapped up for him like the Evil Morty stuff that it might just make sense to put the majority of the focus on Rick.

• Like 2

I’m not a hardcore fan, but Morty’s new voice is close enough to the original that I’ll probably never give it any thought.  If I didn’t know they hired a new voice actor, I’d pay no attention to the differences.

Split Rick and Split Jerry switching hairstyles was my favorite gag in this week’s episode.

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Loved the second episode. Rick and Jerry episodes are always pretty fun to me since their combative nature holds a slight bit of envy hidden between the two.

Still not sure how people feel there is noticeable difference with Morty. He sounds damn near the same as before. Rick on the other hand was highly noticeable that first episode. Thought he was way better in this one which only made the episode better.

• Like 1

BTW, you'll be *astonished* to learn that 'fans' of Rick & Morty are brigading the Rotten Tomatoes fan reviews for Season 7.   It's currently at 35% but was in the teens at one point. 

So when you see clickbait articles saying R&M reviews are "horrible" for this season, that's why. (Professional reviewers have it in the mid 70s.)

I think the thing I liked best about this second episode was Chris Parnell clearly having the time of his life having Jerry speak in the "Rick voice".  The difference is subtle but very clear.... it's like how H. Jon Benjamin does Sterling Archer one way and Bob Belcher another using the exact same voice.

Plus the return of Memory Rick! 

• Like 1

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that I noticed the same thing about Parnell. Other than the drunkenness of Intergalactic TV, I don't think I've heard anyone have as much fun as Chris Parnell was having. It's probably the most un-Jerry he's been on the show. I wouldn't want to see them do that again so hopefully they keep it as a one off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The newest episode is probably the darkest, grossest one of the series. It’s more satire about the modern world’s inherent dilemmas regarding ethical consumption than it is laugh-out-loud funny. It’s also perhaps trying a bit too hard to achieve the balance of shock value and poignancy from the early seasons, but it’s definitely unique among the recent episodes, and I didn’t remember there were new voice actors until this very moment. 

Also considering the subject matter, I’m glad they 

Spoiler

Posted a graphic for a suicide hotline at the end of the episode. 

• Like 1