DVDVR Message Board

A Rick & Morty Thread

RIPPA

It's also been hinted that every episode is physically a different R&M. So, clones may have always been around - or not.  Rick is a prototype unreliable narrator. 

I'd say the last episode was more a commentary on the show in general than anything else. Literally nothing matters in the show. The entire family dies...  so what? Death is not an ending in this show's rules. 

The absolute absurdism of the episode was what made it great. 

• Like 3

The episode had my head spinning, but it also had me laughing pretty hard the further down the rabbit hole they went. I was like, ok, it can't get any more absurd, and then you have wooden robots and muppets.

I also thought it was something of notice to all of the websites that try to look for some kind of throughline for all of these R&M episodes or wonder when we'll get back to evil Morty, etc. To me, it looked like they were saying, "stop looking so deep into this stuff and just enjoy the ride."

• Like 1

I was relieved to google last night’s episode and learn that the blurred out things on Rick’s alien girlfriend’s elbows were 

Spoiler

breasts

I was guessing they were 

Spoiler

two large pairs of balls

which would have been so much worse.

Edited by Eoae

13 hours ago, Eoae said:

I was relieved to google last night’s episode and learn that the blurred out things on Rick’s alien girlfriend’s elbows were 

Reveal hidden contents

breasts

I was guessing they were 

Reveal hidden contents

two large pairs of balls

which would have been so much worse.

So, you are also a homophobe? OK, then. Frankly, that's not even a tiny bit surprising at this point.

42 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

That might have been the worst episode of the series. . . . 

I think I hated the "slut dragons" one more... but, yeah, I got a big laugh from the introduction of Planetina, and then didn't really laugh again for the rest of the episode. The attempts at pulling my heartstrings didn't really work, either. Weirdly, though, I feel like I wouldn't mind Planetina showing up again some time in the future. 

• Like 2

I didn't love this episode, either.  I did think it did a pretty decent job capturing the feeling of meeting someone, hitting it off things getting super-passionate and then realizing they're actually kind of horrible/very bad for you.  It was nice that Morty showed some maturity in knowing that he had to end things.  That said, they didn't do the most amazing job of portraying all of that in an entertaining or amusing way.

• Like 2

Edit: Nope, not worth getting into.  

For the record, my last post was a joke.  Gordy is reading subtext into it that never even occurred to me.  If I offended anyone, I apologize.  Certainly wasn't intentional.  

I'm not planning to get into a squabble with you, Gordy, so if I bother you that much, my advice would be to use the ignore feature.  I won't be offended.  

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

I actually fell asleep during the episode and didn't bother with going back to finish the last 10 minutes so that probably sums up my feelings on the episode.

• Like 3

What the fuck was that? Did they lose a bet or something? Has something happened to my sense of humour since episode 2 ended?

I really enjoyed the first two episodes of this season... then the last episode was, in my opinion, genuinely very bad... but this week... Yikes! It felt almost aggressively stupid at times. Most of the time, if I'm being honest. Like it was written by a couple of thirteen-year-olds trying too hard to be edgy? I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, but... nope. Apparently, "giant deadly sperm," "sex with badly-drawn horse people," and "incest space baby" were the actual ideas that were meant to sustain an episode of TV and make us laugh this week. Not clever takes or twists on those ideas, just those actual ideas, straight up, presented as entertainment.

"Hand Job Solo" was the only laugh (well, chuckle) I got this week, and Morty rehydrating with orange juice made me grin, at least... but almost every other attempt at humour in this one landed with a thud like some kind of warmed-over latter-day Simpsons gag. Damn, man. That was a really awful and genuinely stupid episode of TV. Maybe there's some extra level to the  sex jokes the last couple of weeks that I'm just not getting? 

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 2

I thought it was funny, but my impression was that they were probably all drinking, someone mentioned a giant incest space baby, and they just wrote around that gag.

• Like 3

I laughed at the joke about Robert Downey Jr's agent having to corral him with a butterfly net back in the 90's.  Other that that, I wasn't sure what to make of this week's episode.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I was sure that baby was going to get the Voltron Blazing Sword treatment.  

I'm wondering (and maybe hoping) if this season is actually all interconnected.  That would be a very interesting way to go. 

22 hours ago, Eoae said:

Dan Harmon apparently finds the idea of a giant incest space baby a lot funnier than I do.

I didn't either.

I've seen more Rick and Morty episodes from this season than any other because Harley Quinn Season 2 immediately follows it on a Monday. I liked the Mr Nimbus episode only. Planetina was rushed. I've only seen two episodes from earlier Rick and Morty seasons. Show hasn't hooked me despite it's popularity and the merchandise available in shops.

Edited by The Natural

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 5:19 AM, Eivion said:

That is my birthday. Hopefully its a fun way to end the night on.

Making a mental note now to wish you a Happy birthday in the Happy birthday thread.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...