DVDVR Message Board

El Brazo, Brazo Del Oro y Brazo Del Plata vs. Hombre Bala, Pirata Morgan y El Verdugo (11/10/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

While the last match had a more competitive bent, this was all about schtick and brawling.  The first fall was all about Brazos schtick, few can dish it out better than los Brazos and few receive better than Los Piratas.  Plata's athleticism was on full display again and it was a blast of a fall.  Second fall turns to the brawling as Los Piratas take it to the Brazos, El Brazo gushes blood and there's this great spot where all three have Plata down in the corner and they're trying to cave his head in with their boots.  Plata accidentally wipes out Brazo with a dive which is the holy shit moment of the match leaving Oro to get taken out by an awesome triple team headbutt followed by a big splash.

• 4 weeks later...

This was fucking awesome and is a contender for best trios match on the set. I know I've said that before and it's going to be hard ranking all of these great trios matches but I can't imagine this one not holding up on a second viewing. I love the way this goes from Brazos comedy with Bucaneros stooging to brutal fight. I've said it before but in addition to being a great bumper Morgan is one of the stiffest brawlers on this set. I loved his selling of Plata's onslaught in the first fall, especially when his teammates had to drag his lifeless carcass back to their corner. Hombre Bala wasn't one to be fucked with either. He really unleashed hell on Super Porky. I loved the story of El Brazo becoming the weak link after being busted open which forces Oro and Plata to fight for their lives and the finish brought that full circle. I really like in a match like this when they tie up every loose end for the finish. El Brazo gets taken out by a missed dive by Porky leaving Brazo de Oro to defend himself against a pack of wolves. Awesome awesome pro wrestling.

• 4 weeks later...

I dig the feeling of the tide turning in the second fall because los Bucaneros got clowned through the whole first. And what a clowning it was! They open with Porky splatting Morgan in the corner and I said out loud to myself "just end the fall now". He proceeds to die several more times, they repeat the Plata deadfall splash from the last match, Verdugo channels Johnny Valentine falling face first on the mat and all three of them scuttle like roaches to escape further abuse. Tremendous. After he falls to the fat of Porky again (with the great image of them dragging him off to the corner) they decide to bring the pain. Bala's all "you fucked with my brother" and he whoops the piss out of Porky. That is some stiff shit for lucha. Then they isolate Brazo and he's bleeding like a stuck pig. We get a repeat of all of the Brazos spots from the last match but Bucaneros add in their own that we didn't see yet to balance it out. Ending is kind of weak but goddamn, what a match this was. 

• 11 months later...

This was once again the Brazo de Plata show for me. I loved Porky splashing all 3 rudos to end a fall and then climbing the ropes again during the interim and the rudos scattering like roaches. The third fall in this was good and I loved the finish with Plata accidentally taking out Brazo on a dive and leaving Oro alone. This will finish pretty easily in my top half. I will be on youtube watching the hell out of some Super Porky once I finish this set.

This really brought the hate in the second fall and could end up in my top 10 overall.  This series is quickly reminding me in a strange way of the Midnight Rockers v. Rose/Somers series on the AWA set, where the first match was fairly innocuous but the second match really ratcheted up the violence in a shocking way.  Plata almost stole the show, but Bala and Morgan were quite intense throughout the second and third falls.  In fact, I'd almost say Morgan was the strongest performer throughout, especially during the first fall with his painful-looking missed senton on the apron and his skittering on his back across the ring to fall to the floor headfirst.  The finish of the second fall was so brutal with the kick-fest and then the triple dropkick to the head.  This set looks to be finishing strong.