Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION


Recommended Posts

Watched The Great Wall last night.  It was mostly uninvolving. Some decent set pieces, but the script and characters are paper thin.  The trailers hint that the Great Wall was built to keep out some malevolent supernatural menace (at least, that's what I got out of them), so the menace being a herd of mindless lizards was disappointing.  I was expecting some sort of evil Japanese god to be lurking out there.

Wife and I went to see mother with another couple a few days ago.  Not my thing at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kingsman 2 has some great fight scenes and some big laughs, and Julianne Moore is bloody amazing, but it commits basically every possible sequel fuck-up except one (subverting a catchphrase from tthe first film in the exact same way 3 or 4 times).

Bringing back dead mentors, villains or both in an unsatisfying way? Check. Killing major characters from the first film in an unsatisfying way? Check. Celebrity who could have been a great cameo elevated to Important? Check. Of these, I feel like killing off Roxy was by far the greatest sin; she would have been a great Merlin after the original gets a legitimately fun Heroic Death.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Kingsman 2 has some great fight scenes and some big laughs, and Julianne Moore is bloody amazing, but it commits basically every possible sequel fuck-up except one (subverting a catchphrase from tthe first film in the exact same way 3 or 4 times).

 

  Hide contents

Bringing back dead mentors, villains or both in an unsatisfying way? Check. Killing major characters from the first film in an unsatisfying way? Check. Celebrity who could have been a great cameo elevated to Important? Check. Of these, I feel like killing off Roxy was by far the greatest sin; she would have been a great Merlin after the original gets a legitimately fun Heroic Death.

 

 

Spoiler

Five bucks says if there's a Kingsman 3, they bring Roxy back there. We didn't actually SEE her die, y'know...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

El Topo and Jodorowsky's Dune came in the mail. I've been sitting on the latter for a couple days debating whether or not to watch it for the third time without my friend, and I'm thinking I'm just gonna watch Martyrs today and use it as a refreshing shower afterwards. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

El Topo and Jodorowsky's Dune came in the mail. I've been sitting on the latter for a couple days debating whether or not to watch it for the third time without my friend, and I'm thinking I'm just gonna watch Martyrs today and use it as a refreshing shower afterwards. 

Personally, I would find Martys to be the refreshing shower after watching El Topo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matt D said:

We saw Baby Driver the other night. It's very good at what it does. Whenever there's a chase scene it's great. I wish we had seen it in the theater.

The three red cars sequence was quite possibly the most exhilarating moment I've had in a theater this year (No Man's Land being the only other real contender)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to overhype it, but can't help myself: in my opinion, the last action sequence in The Villainess (which is a car chase followed by a fight) is better than anything in Mad Max Fury Road, The Raid, or The Raid II.  It's more because of the camerawork than anything - the camera does things it shouldn't be able to, and it comes close to making you feel like you're in the scene.  Funny that the opening sequence is Hardcore Henry style first person perspective; the closing sequence is not, but it's actually more immersive. 

I wouldn't rave about the movie as a whole, but that last 10 minutes is hall of fame level greatness.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching El Topo right now because my friend is flaking on me and who knows whoever else would have the patience to watch it with me besides her.

I just exclaimed out loud: "THERE'S A FUCKING LION!"

I don't know if I have anything more credible, important, or insightful to say about this film than that. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I don't want to overhype it, but can't help myself: in my opinion, the last action sequence in The Villainess (which is a car chase followed by a fight) is better than anything in Mad Max Fury Road, The Raid, or The Raid II.  It's more because of the camerawork than anything - the camera does things it shouldn't be able to, and it comes close to making you feel like you're in the scene.  Funny that the opening sequence is Hardcore Henry style first person perspective; the closing sequence is not, but it's actually more immersive. 

I wouldn't rave about the movie as a whole, but that last 10 minutes is hall of fame level greatness.

I've been waiting to see this after hearing about the standing ovation at the Cannes. I'm going to watch it within the next month or so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is something more to say: El Topo is one of the greatest films I've ever seen in my entire life. As I read it

Spoiler

it is a description of God in a mortal form that is fallible, society is evil and he deeply hopes to change it, but fails. After that you must move on from the Gods that society promotes, and society itself, to find peace, love, and understanding with other individuals. 

It may be incredibly depressing at times (yeah, I cried), incredibly violent, and borderline incoherent, but I think its message is finally of hope. 

And there's A FUCKING LION

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:09 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't think I'm going to watch a film sadder than Christine this year. I knew how it was going to end, but still pretty damn sad.

I watched that a few months ago, not knowing the story, and it's still sticking with me. The last fourty minutes or so are completely emotionally draining.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RIPPA unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...