DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 ANIMATED WRESTLING GIF THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I have no idea what Guevara is going for there.  If Lee doesn't counter it and bearhug him, what happens?  From his trajectory, he probably grazes Lee or lands in front of him.

This isn't an indy wrestling thing.  Wrestlers have always telegraphed reversal spots.  Bobby Eaton used to do a whip-the-guy-into-the-corner-turnbuckle-and-run-at-the guy-afterwards spot where he'd run to the corner and jump at his opponent with his legs spread.  The opponent would always move and Bobby would crotch himself against the turnbuckle.  If the opponent doesn't move, I have no clue what move Bobby could do from that position.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

See also: every attempt at a top-rope maneuver on an opponent prone laying on the mat that is countered by raising a boot.

The guy coming off the top is SUPPOSED to make it look like he's going for a fistdrop of something of that nature (elbow, axhandle, whatevs), and the guy on the mat is SUPPOSED to look like he surprised the jumper with the boot. Most people just go through the motions so it's just, "Hey I jumped into your raised boot."

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
Just now, Marty Sugar said:

You're not visualizing that move correctly. The victim, for one, has to be standing up for a Thesz Press. We're talking a victim flat on their back.

I was talking about Bobby Eaton's charge into the corner.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 minute ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I can go with that... if you can find me a clip where Bobby Eaton sucessfully did a Thesz press into the corner.

I was mostly joking, people (not necessarily Eaton) usually hit monkey flips out of the corner. I could kinda see that being what he's trying in terms of kayfabe. Of course, it's moot if he never actually hits it. :)

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

The guy coming off the top is SUPPOSED to make it look like he's going for a fistdrop of something of that nature (elbow, axhandle, whatevs), and the guy on the mat is SUPPOSED to look like he surprised the jumper with the boot. Most people just go through the motions so it's just, "Hey I jumped into your raised boot."

The most validating move in the history of wrestling!

OyYYDg.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I have no idea what Guevara is going for there.  If Lee doesn't counter it and bearhug him, what happens?  From his trajectory, he probably grazes Lee or lands in front of him.

This isn't an indy wrestling thing.  Wrestlers have always telegraphed reversal spots.  Bobby Eaton used to do a whip-the-guy-into-the-corner-turnbuckle-and-run-at-the guy-afterwards spot where he'd run to the corner and jump at his opponent with his legs spread.  The opponent would always move and Bobby would crotch himself against the turnbuckle.  If the opponent doesn't move, I have no clue what move Bobby could do from that position.  

As a kid I always assumed Bobby (or whoever did the bump) was going for a monkey flip. 

• Like 1

His toe may have slightly touched him on the attempted stomp thing! Alex Kozlov, I can't explain, maybe "Young Bucks were there, everyone fall."

14 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

No, I see the comment now. That is a weird thing Bobby did, but even that's not "Thesz-worthy" as you don't lead with your feet: you lead with your knees.

dc4241d3d3a9d236ec36862bdeee0bc0.213x120

Whenever Randy Orton would do a Thesz press he'd put his legs back and lead with his hips. So he was basically doing a flying dickface.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Whenever Randy Orton would do a Thesz press he'd put his legs back and lead with his hips. So he was basically doing a flying dickface.

In his book, Foley joked that Austin's Thesz Press was essentially a flying dick to the face.

• Like 1