DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

RIP Brad. Also, am I wrong in remembering Jerry Only having a cage match of some sort against Steve Williams? What a strange period of time.

I'd figured it was, but I was blacking out the memory and assumed Danzig and Zandig ran in and started yelling things just to make it more surreal in my mind.

• Haha 1

hqdefault.jpg

So, this isn't the *best* Halloween Havoc match of all-time: That distinction belongs entirely to Eddie vs. Rey from HH '97. [stephen a voice] HOWEVA [/stephen a voice] Goldberg vs. DDP is my *favorite* match ever from Halloween Havoc. 

Up until the Brock match at this past year's Mania, this was easily the best Goldberg match -- which is a low bar, since your other option is maybe the Scott Steiner match (also Halloween Havoc, I believe). But this was a genuinely kick-ass match. 

Everything about this, from build to execution, was so well done (aside from, yanno, WCW actually airing the fucking thing properly on PPV). I was absolutely geeked for this at the time, as I loved both guys but was slightly more of a DDP fan. I thought the build-up of his ability to hit the Diamond Cutter possibly making the difference was brilliant, and I didn't mind Goldberg kicking out. 

My one complaint: Six months later, Page finally won the championship and had that odd heel run that only lasted a month. If they were going to get the belt off Goldberg, turn Page heel and give him the title, I wish they'd run this rematch at Starrcade; have DDP win there, but only after cheating his ass off because he "knew what needed to be done;" then build to the conclusion of a trilogy with Goldberg winning it back after a chase. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

RIP Brad. Also, am I wrong in remembering Jerry Only having a cage match of some sort against Steve Williams? What a strange period of time.

Yep, and in true WCW fashion, the Misfits were supposed to lock the cage door to keep Steve Williams out so they could beat up "Oklahoma," except they forgot to, and Williams busted through the cage door and then just stood there like an idiot not knowing what to do.

Almost positive that was the same Nitro where Jim Duggan attacked Shane Douglas with a foam 2x4 and the 2x4 bent in half.

3 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

hqdefault.jpg

So, this isn't the *best* Halloween Havoc match of all-time: That distinction belongs entirely to Eddie vs. Rey from HH '97. [stephen a voice] HOWEVA [/stephen a voice] Goldberg vs. DDP is my *favorite* match ever from Halloween Havoc. 

Up until the Brock match at this past year's Mania, this was easily the best Goldberg match -- which is a low bar, since your other option is maybe the Scott Steiner match (also Halloween Havoc, I believe). But this was a genuinely kick-ass match. 

Everything about this, from build to execution, was so well done (aside from, yanno, WCW actually airing the fucking thing properly on PPV). I was absolutely geeked for this at the time, as I loved both guys but was slightly more of a DDP fan. I thought the build-up of his ability to hit the Diamond Cutter possibly making the difference was brilliant, and I didn't mind Goldberg kicking out. 

My most vivid memory of watching wrestling as a kid was seeing this match. I was 9 years old, and although me and my older brother were loyal viewers of Raw and Nitro, our parents didn't approve of wrestling so we never got to see PPVs. Being caught by surprise with the chance to see a PPV main event on TV was amazing.

Not only that, but I loved DDP, and absolutely hated Goldberg. When Goldberg kicked out of the Diamond Cutter, I was incensed. And when he won with the Jackhammer about a minute later, I was beyond disappointed.

To this day, I can't stand the finish to this match. DDP takes advantage of Goldberg injuring his shoulder by reversing a Jackhammer attempt into the Diamond Cutter. Goldberg kicks out. Then DDP, for no apparent reason, goes for a vertical suplex. Goldberg, who couldn't hit the Jackhammer BEFORE taking the Diamond Cutter, can now suddenly resist the suplex, deadlift DDP, hit the move, and win the match. It just feels pointlessly rushed, and it's so easy to think of cooler, more sensible ways to get to the finish. Great match up until then, though.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2017 at 9:39 PM, The Iron Yuppie said:

hqdefault.jpg

My one complaint: Six months later, Page finally won the championship and had that odd heel run that only lasted a month. If they were going to get the belt off Goldberg, turn Page heel and give him the title, I wish they'd run this rematch at Starrcade; have DDP win there, but only after cheating his ass off because he "knew what needed to be done;" then build to the conclusion of a trilogy with Goldberg winning it back after a chase. 

I rated Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page from WCW Halloween Havoc 1998 highly when I voted for the Greatest WCW of All Time at smarkschoice. I had it in the top 10, I believe. DDP working on the shoulder meant Goldberg hurt himself delivering the Spear and couldn't follow it up with the Jackhammer. DDP countered into the Diamond Cutter but he wasn't able to go for the pin straight away so it protected the move. Goldberg managed to get the Jackhammer at the second time of asking to retain the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. I do agree with @MapRef41N93W on the finish. Bill's best bout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I assume fans think he's going to show up without a shirt now.

Jacobs is trying to ride the unwashed-greasy-hair-wrestling-fan demographic into office.

(In all seriousness, they couldn't have found a worse photo of Danielson.)

2 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Jacobs is trying to ride the unwashed-greasy-hair-wrestling-fan demographic into office.

(In all seriousness, they couldn't have found a worse photo of Danielson.)

At least he's not wearing some of his shitty merchandise, like the flying goat shirt or the beard hat.

• Like 1