DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

21 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So aside from the 92 match what are the best War Games matches? It stopped being a thing by the time I really got into wrestling so I've never seen more than one or two when looking at past matches.

It's a must that you check out the first one. Road Warriors & Ellering /Dusty/Nikita vs. The Horsemen & JJ

I'd also recommend 1994. Dusty/Dustin/Nasty Boys vs. Col. Parker/Arn Anderson/Terry Funk/Bunkhouse Buck

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 8:46 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What Watts didn't know was his audience.

I've been waiting fifty years for someone to explain to me why Dutch Savage would insist on a "Coal Miner's Glove Match"  in either Washington or Oregon, where the joint production of coal is something like twelve pounds annually. "Lumberjack Match", oh, Hell yeah... "Slap Him with a Salmon Just for the Halibut Match", certainly. "Polish Barista on a Pole Match", but of course... "Coal Miner's Glove Match", eh, not so much...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

For a worked sport, people really cling to how guys are pushed by the company.  The story around Jinder's title run has been fine: 

-Wins a battle royal to become #1 contender: that's the most believable way for someone at his level to get to that spot.

-Announcers push during his build that he just has to get lucky to win/anyone can win one match: Anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation and all that, plus upsets do happen in real life.  They aren't pushing him as a legit threat, but someone who will have to get lucky to win.

-He pulls off the upset and retains through any means possible.  He's not going over guys cleanly, but he's needed lots of help.

The problem isn't the story or push, it's that in deciding to push someone new (as everyone had asked), they chose someone who was a crowd favorite, so the crowd is rejecting it.  As has been pointed out, the reactions have been similar to those during JBL's ascent.

The biggest problem for me is how lazy they are at booking these heel title runs and how frustrating it gets when nothing happens month to month but the same screwjob finish followed by the same heel celebration and the same rematch with the same ending multiple times over the same people.  A heel title run should be a great thing, but what they seem to be stuck in is the formula of the Rollins run over and over again and they just can't seem to find a way to keep it interesting.

If Jinder retained again on Sunday, it would essentially move him from a transitional reign to another one of those soul-killing slogs.

I wonder if this match announcement is going to prompt the release of a Wargames comp, because that's something that should exist.  Years ago I remember someone had made a comp of all the official Wargames matches plus a ton of indie and other knockoff matches with the similar gimmick.  I don't recall if it was on here or another board but it had some awesome content.

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

I've been waiting fifty years for someone to explain to me why Dutch Savage would insist on a "Coal Miner's Glove Match"  in either Washington or Oregon, where the joint production of coal is something like twelve pounds annually. "Lumberjack Match", oh, Hell yeah... "Slap Him with a Salmon Just for the Halibut Match", certainly. "Polish Barista on a Pole Match", but of course... "Coal Miner's Glove Match", eh, not so much...

That doc from late '70s PBS  on Dutch Savage really lays it out and is genius. DS was legit from Scranton PA so his hard-scrabble miner upbringing and accompanying glove technique was the perfect foil to those dastardly blowhard half-a-Frenchman lumberjacks running around the PNW with their pansy axes. In the doc, it shows the set-up for the blowoff CMG Match with the Iron Sheik and Mr. Savage just straight up lays down the psychology of this particular gimmick match - I LOVE IT WHEN A VET DOES THAT!!!! Good footage of Ventura, ABRamos and Wiskowski too. Go out of your way to see this - I am sure it is on the YouTubes.

- RAF

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I wonder if this match announcement is going to prompt the release of a Wargames comp, because that's something that should exist.  Years ago I remember someone had made a comp of all the official Wargames matches plus a ton of indie and other knockoff matches with the similar gimmick.  I don't recall if it was on here or another board but it had some awesome content.

I wonder how many of the war games have already been released on various DVD releases. Without checking, at least 4 or 5.

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

If Jinder retained again on Sunday, it would essentially move him from a transitional reign to another one of those soul-killing slogs.

With this India tour in December I don't think Nak goes over until Clash of Champions.

I do think the best course of action just to keep things from becoming more stagnant would be for Nak to go over on Sunday, have a Nak and Jinder on the same Survivor Series team and then at Starrcade have Jinder regain the title in the cage match. Defend the title on the India tour and then drop it to Nak at Clash and then let's start building to Nak vs AJ at Mania.

2 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

That doc from late '70s PBS  on Dutch Savage really lays it out and is genius. DS was legit from Scranton PA so his hard-scrabble miner upbringing and accompanying glove technique was the perfect foil to those dastardly blowhard half-a-Frenchman lumberjacks running around the PNW with their pansy axes. In the doc, it shows the set-up for the blowoff CMG Match with the Iron Sheik and Mr. Savage just straight up lays down the psychology of this particular gimmick match - I LOVE IT WHEN A VET DOES THAT!!!! Good footage of Ventura, ABRamos and Wiskowski too. Go out of your way to see this - I am sure it is on the YouTubes.

- RAF

Was Ventura a face at this time?

54 minutes ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

Was Ventura a face at this time?

Heel.

Was Ventura always a heel in the ring? Limited ringwork but not afraid to show ass, could be vicious and comedic, great on the mic, reworked lots of classic stuff but injected real world hip references into his promos that made him a true cool heel w/o trying to get himself over.

I can't think of him working face ever...

- RAF

3 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Heel.

Was Ventura always a heel in the ring? Limited ringwork but not afraid to show ass, could be vicious and comedic, great on the mic, reworked lots of classic stuff but injected real world hip references into his promos that made him a true cool heel w/o trying to get himself over.

I can't think of him working face ever...

- RAF

He did in Portland early on.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

So aside from the 92 match what are the best War Games matches? It stopped being a thing by the time I really got into wrestling so I've never seen more than one or two when looking at past matches.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The ending is botched badly by Sid, but 91 is really great.

91 also has a really, really great babyface performance by Pillman.  

43 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

91 also has a really, really great babyface performance by Pillman.  

The opening five minutes with Pillman and Barry is fucking incredible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

- RAF

Do not be dissin' on our lumberjacks! The PNW was home to the only wrestler who is also a member of the Rockabilly Hall of Fame, the mysterious Bob Beasley.  What, you didn't know that there was a Rockabilly Hall of Fame? Oddly enough, neither did I... And the question has to be asked,  if there's  room for Bob Beasley (and I'm not suggesting that there shouldn't be), but then, whither the Honky Tonk Man? 

FWIW: My favorite memory of Beasley was as part of the hastily-thrown-together Lumberjacks tag-team doing an interview. See, Bob was a big guy, maybe 6 '3 or thereabouts. Lumberjack Luke on a good day with lifts in his boots was maybe 5 '4. Watching Bob scrunch himself awkwardly behind the mic stand to avoid making his partner appear to be a roided-up dwarf (which he was), was all sorts of funny.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd recommend 1994. Dusty/Dustin/Nasty Boys vs. Col. Parker/Arn Anderson/Terry Funk/Bunkhouse Buck

8 hours ago, Infinit said:

Personally I liked 89. Road Warriors/MX/Dr Death vs The Freebird/SST had plenty of hate and violence.

Will definitely check these out.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The ending is botched badly by Sid, but 91 is really great.

There wasn't really a bad War Games until 95.

Was 91 released on any WWE DVDs? I feel like that might be one few the ones I've seen because I recall Sid knocking Pillman out with a botched powerbomb.