DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

It's the twentieth anniversary of my favorite match of all-time, as Natural mentioned. 

But it's also the twentieth anniversary of the death of Brian Fucking Pillman, and that always makes it bittersweet at best.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Today is the  20th anniversary of Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker's Hell in a Cell match at In Your House 18: Badd Blood. A classic ***** match. Shawn Michaels' best match ever, same goes for Undertaker. The match also marks Kane's first appearance.

That one also features one of the sickest blade jobs of the Attitude/near-Attitude era. Shawn got a little carried away.

• Like 1

So the WWE has hesitated to call the Hardys the Broken Hardys or have them go all out with the broken gimmick, because of legal issues with who owns the trademarks, them or TNA. It just occurred to me that the best imaginable thing WWE could have done to deal with that would be to go full TNA, and refer to them like “we know who they are!! It’s the Hardys, and THEY NEED FIXIN’!!!”

21 minutes ago, Ramsey said:

That one also features one of the sickest blade jobs of the Attitude/near-Attitude era. Shawn got a little carried away.

To be fair though, its gotta be pretty tough to gig yourself flying through the air and getting it done before your face hits the cage 

3 hours ago, Meltzing Pot said:

So the WWE has hesitated to call the Hardys the Broken Hardys or have them go all out with the broken gimmick, because of legal issues with who owns the trademarks, them or TNA. It just occurred to me that the best imaginable thing WWE could have done to deal with that would be to go full TNA, and refer to them like “we know who they are!! It’s the Hardys, and THEY NEED FIXIN’!!!”

I can't believe they haven't just bought the damn thing off TNAGFWAWEImpact already. That company is so hurting for money, I doubt it would take a lot. 

35 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

It was in such a weird spot. I know it was stitched, but I can’t imagine that thing staying shut if he made any facial expression since it was vertical above his nose. 

I'm *guessing* Shawn meant to go horizontal on the gig, but the movement of the slingshot made him slip and just completely gash his forehead vertically.

The timing was off on the slingshot. If you remember, he jumped and backbumped hard after Taker forgot to catch him. While doing second attempt, he might’ve lost his preferred grip on the blade and just thought, “Fuck it.” 

**edit** 

Well, I should’ve double-checked. It was just a crummy looking drop kick. I thought Taker had just forgotten to catch his legs. 

16 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

It just feels like SDL is a show for no one. Even the major talents they have arent featured. 

With Smackdown you have Vince's pet project on top. There's your first problem. If you think we're puzzled by the Jinder run, you should see how my casual friends view it.

Next you have AJ stuck in b-feuds. AJ is one of the biggest names in the whole company. The idea that he's not the main event when the SDL roster is this thin is baffling. 

The women's division is a mess. In the fan's eyes Becky/Charlotte are the jewels of the division. One should always be the focus in some way. Which is the reason why neither have been the focus for months and Nattie is champ. 

Performers like New Day and Dolph are stale and need to freshen up. . 

All of this causes a domino effect. Nakamura is less interesting due to his feud with Jinder. AJ is slumming it in a feud with Corbin. Nattie can't follow through on a damn clothesline. This current Usos run is underappreciated cause all they have to feud with is New Day and Dolph sucks the excitement out of any arena he is in. 

The bigger problem with Smackdown is that they just fell for the "Land of Opportunity" tagline and ceased to realize that the world needs ditchdiggers too.

The issue is less the talent and more the fact that they just don't realize sometimes, talents are just BENEATH other talents, and that's part of making a great show. Jinder Mahal went from a jobber to a World Champion without much build- and as a result, it was doomed to fail because he's still perceived as beneath everyone else...so if he loses, then it's expected (so there's no rub), and if he wins, then he's just dropped the star down to Jinder's level.

Same with the women- the biggest reason the women's division is a mess is because Becky/Charlotte/Naomi is a murderer's row of face women...and Carmella/Natalya/Tamina is...not. At all. And as a result, the heels are so bad that only Carmella was built up to their level, while the gatekeeper for life Natalya and the utterly hopeless cause Tamina didn't get risen to the level of Becky/Charlotte, it just dropped Becky and Charlotte down to their level. Ziggler has nothing left, so as a result it's clear Bobby Roode will be doomed to a lower level from the match. The only match that works is AJ slumming it in a feud with Corbin/Dillinger, as both guys aren't so far beneath AJ they couldn't conceivably be elevated to AJ's level if they lose (but that could be a lost cause with how Corbin was destroyed.)

Taker did a fucking nasty as hell blade job during the build to that match as well, on RAW. Was a tag with Mick against the future DX, and he bladed off a Michaels chair shot and I swear he ran the blade the entire width of his forehead.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Taker did a fucking nasty as hell blade job during the build to that match as well, on RAW. Was a tag with Mick against the future DX, and he bladed off a Michaels chair shot and I swear he ran the blade the entire width of his forehead.

I always thought the chair cut him hardway. It was a nasty shot so it would be easy to believe.

I think whoever is in charge of Smackdown had the Jinder Bender forced on them by Vince. So they are treating AJ as the real champion. My prediction for Hell In A Cell is shocking. I think Singh brothers will break into the Cell!!!

For a worked sport, people really cling to how guys are pushed by the company.  The story around Jinder's title run has been fine: 

-Wins a battle royal to become #1 contender: that's the most believable way for someone at his level to get to that spot.

-Announcers push during his build that he just has to get lucky to win/anyone can win one match: Anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation and all that, plus upsets do happen in real life.  They aren't pushing him as a legit threat, but someone who will have to get lucky to win.

-He pulls off the upset and retains through any means possible.  He's not going over guys cleanly, but he's needed lots of help.

The problem isn't the story or push, it's that in deciding to push someone new (as everyone had asked), they chose someone who wasn't a crowd favorite, so the crowd is rejecting it.  As has been pointed out, the reactions have been similar to those during JBL's ascent.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I can't believe they haven't just bought the damn thing off TNAGFWAWEImpact already. That company is so hurting for money, I doubt it would take a lot. 

Meltzer said if they did that it would set a dangerous precedent and they don't to go down that path.  As for the legal status it's considered a dead issue.  Hardys haven't sued and for the time being it appears there's no progress on the situation.  So we'll basically get more regular Hardys with the occasional Delete sign.  Honestly, it might be for the best.  They're still holding their own and aren't that out of step with everything else going on.  If they get some sweet WWE money and retire under their umbrella then that's not the worst thing in the world.  And given how they approach wacky stuff I'm not fond of them trying the Broken gimmick unless they give the Hardys full reign over it.

11 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

The timing was off on the slingshot. If you remember, he jumped and backbumped hard after Taker forgot to catch him. While doing second attempt, he might’ve lost his preferred grip on the blade and just thought, “Fuck it.” 

**edit** 

Well, I should’ve double-checked. It was just a crummy looking drop kick. I thought Taker had just forgotten to catch his legs. 

The slingshot bladejob I remember was WM20 against HHH and Benoit.