DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

LOL also at Lio Rush going all caps on the word ENTERTAINMENT and putting quotes around "controversial tweet" like a celebrity or political commentator that said something racist or sexist.

And then mentioning his family in a total "Please don't fire me over this!" gesture is the icing on the cake.

I actually love watching Lio in the ring and hope that someday this is something that can be looked on as youthful arrogance, but yeah, I am okay with him getting buried for a while.

Summer always seemed like someone who was a fan and therefore "got it." I don't really think she was used effectively outside of bossing around Rob Naylor though. I always thought she was pretty good on the talking head shows though. She probably would have done very well in 2003 when she was competing against Ivory and Terri for backstage announcer/host spots or what not, but that's a lot harder in a world of Renee.

34 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Emma was never going to be a great headliner but you on any roster you need solid mid-card talent to help the new talent get over and keep the upper card people on top.  WWE does not understand this with the men or women. 

Well they were going to give her a big push and a shitty attitude sabotaged it.  The best she could hope for is being cannon fodder on the roster.

15 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Lio's about to find out if you can get kicked out of the Performance Center locker rooms.

Maybe they can hire Bill Demott back. 

1 hour ago, EVA said:

The Evil Emma run in NXT was better than anything Cody has ever done, so...

Evil Emma was indeed awesome. Hell, her first NXT run was good too. I still can’t believe she was able to salvage herself after the first disasterous main roster run. Tht alone should have bought her an extra year or two lol 

• Like 1

The goose stepping dancer push was a good spot. Being with Santino meant she was guaranteed TV time every week. It was stupid, but most Santino stuff was stupid and he got it over.  Because he was putting effort in, while Emma looked like she would rather be anywhere else. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Victator said:

The goose stepping dancer push was a good spot. Being with Santino meant she was guaranteed TV time every week. It was stupid, but most Santino stuff was stupid and he got it over.  Because he was putting effort in, while Emma looked like she would rather be anywhere else. 

The issue was that they spent plenty of time building it up naturally over 3-4 NXT tapings to make it work (first as a heel, and then as the crowd turned her as someone with a real connection) and she was just dropped onto the main roster without build or explanation. It was the sort of thing they've been doing wrong for years. 

On the other hand, it's their fault for miscasting her for Emmalina, but I do feel like that if she had figured out how to make it work, they would have pushed her to the moon and she probably would have ended up making as much money as any female WWE star in years. So that's definitely on her to a degree.  

Much like what we were talking about w/ Nia there are a lot of super talented women and a handful of featured positions. On top of that there's more talent in the pipeline. Being talented isn't enough.  Emma seems like someone who never really had the backing of the office. Those types are disposable. 

I've been of the opinion that someone in WWE saw Emma's IG with all her pictures and thought making her an internet model/celebrity was a good idea. And honestly, it's not a bad one. She didn't seem to have the personality for it, but I get the impression that she didn't try hard, either.

Rush seems like a typical knucklehead who thinks everything he says is funny and smart. I've got no problem with him being cuffed around a bit, but the rest of them need to be careful. One, it can veer into piling on just for the sake of it and two, a lot of them aren't much better on social media themselves.

I'm boggled as to why he'd even comment on it. Did he have any prior heat with Emma? Not that it would make it right, but if there was any beef between the two and he took some kind of satisfaction out of the job loss it would at least offer some sort of reasoning behind the Tweet. Just doing it randomly and out of the blue makes him look 10x worse, IMO.

20 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I've been of the opinion that someone in WWE saw Emma's IG with all her pictures and thought making her an internet model/celebrity was a good idea. And honestly, it's not a bad one. She didn't seem to have the personality for it, but I get the impression that she didn't try hard, either.

Rush seems like a typical knucklehead who thinks everything he says is funny and smart. I've got no problem with him being cuffed around a bit, but the rest of them need to be careful. One, it can veer into piling on just for the sake of it and two, a lot of them aren't much better on social media themselves.

They probably saw her cooking videos on Youtube and tried to think of a social media gimmick.  

The irony of this is their obsession with social media metrics over everything else.  

They are so smart regarding social media but could not make a social media gimmick work.

14 minutes ago, Peck said:

I'm boggled as to why he'd even comment on it. Did he have any prior heat with Emma? Not that it would make it right, but if there was any beef between the two and he took some kind of satisfaction out of the job loss it would at least offer some sort of reasoning behind the Tweet. Just doing it randomly and out of the blue makes him look 10x worse, IMO.

I don't follow Lio Rush at all but I could make some pretty easy guesses.

1.) A lot of the developmental guys like to be active on social media and increase their Q-rating. I think, to a degree, they're encouraged by the office to talk about what's going on in the show. That develops their following and makes what's going on seem more important to a degree. I'm going to assume he's the sort of guy who comments on all sorts of things happening on Raw/Smackdown/Behind the scenes. I could be wrong.

2.) It's not like he tweeted "Emma's a shitty performer who wouldn't listen to management, had three gimmicks and couldn't get over, shoplifted, got injured all the time, and totally blew the Emmalina opportunity. One more spot for me! #grabbingthebrassring" The tweet was in character. It was "Oh, Evil Emma wanted to fight Asuka! She couldn't handle her even in two shots! Now she's gone." That's very much a "tweeting about the product" sort of statement. It's just moronic because Emma sure as heck seemingly didn't want to get cut. This isn't a case of Chris Jericho leaving to go on tour and getting humiliated and fired on his way out or Heenan's contact running out and having Gorilla toss him to the curb. I don't think there was any particular rancor or ill-will. It was just a guy lacking perspective and following the letter of what he's supposed to do instead of the meaning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Peck said:

There didn't seem to any malice behind it. More of a case of telling a stupid joke at the worst possible time and then doubling down when he got called out for it. That Lio tagged Asuka in the original tweet indicates he was trying to be funny. But he lacked awareness, which he's going to have to learn fast going forward.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

There didn't seem to any malice behind it. More of a case of telling a stupid joke at the worst possible time and then doubling down when he got called out for it. That Lio tagged Asuka in the original tweet indicates he was trying to be funny. But he lacked awareness, which he's going to have to learn fast going forward.

I mean, hell, he did a better job of putting Asuka over with his tweet than the agents did in laying out the two Emma/Asuka matches. I think it's easy to see what he was trying to do. He's just a dumb 22 year old in over his head.

It's simple.  People these days especially on social media they want to run there quickly as possible and pile up the likes and retweets.  They aren't thinking before they hit submit.  Twitter and IG has exposed many many morons. 

..and dude.  If you just started a new job it's best to SHUT THE F UP. 

58 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The issue was that they spent plenty of time building it up naturally over 3-4 NXT tapings to make it work (first as a heel, and then as the crowd turned her as someone with a real connection) and she was just dropped onto the main roster without build or explanation. It was the sort of thing they've been doing wrong for years. 

On the other hand, it's their fault for miscasting her for Emmalina, but I do feel like that if she had figured out how to make it work, they would have pushed her to the moon and she probably would have ended up making as much money as any female WWE star in years. So that's definitely on her to a degree.  

Yeah, I'm not going to argue that Emma was an all-time wrestler, but I think the way she's been treated highlights a flaw in the NXT system. People get these characters that often develop a following in a quite natural way, over weeks of TV, if not months. And then they just get promoted and the extent of the character build is "it's X from NXT", which ignores that most people who watch Raw won't be an NXT viewer so the reason clumsy Emma or Boliever Bo are fun characters is totally lost and they are just another nondescript wrestler on a roster that is already huge. And it happens so often I'm left questioning if it's just deliberate negligence or if it's sheer inability to understand that NXT doesn't have the same audience as Raw.

• Like 4