DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

This is pure speculation, but I wonder how much of this could be due to the training resources. Does everyone get trained in the same way? Do they get trained in ways that highlight their strengths? Is this because we're in such a go-go-go super indy workrate world right now, and that is to some degree the NXT style. What guest trainer could they bring in to teach Nia how to work to her size? It's not like they're pulling in Aja Kong (or Amazing Kong for that matter) or anything. Would it have made sense to have Mark Henry or Big Show come down and mentor her for a while? For someone who may or may not have grown up a fan and who is in all senses a rookie, I wonder if the potential homogeneity of the developmental system could be partially a detriment in this case. 

Compare her to Braun who was not in NXT very long and was sent to the main roster early. Braun has been protected and has been mentored by guys like Show and Henry and guided on how to be a monster. 

I think it is a safe bet that Nia was trained the same way Alexa Bliss was. 

Actually you can replace Nia with Baron Corbin in this too. 

16 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

"What a stupid mark" say people who wouldn't be brave enough to walk away from a job.

"Everyone else is being misused too, why complain about it?" say people who will forever be stuck in their shit jobs because they're anti-union.

"It's fine here in the crab barrel! Sure, occasionally someone gets picked to be eaten, by why would anyone want to leave the safety and comfort of the barrel?"

You think she's being misused?

Whatta stupid mark.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Victator said:

Compare her to Braun who was not in NXT very long and was sent to the main roster early. Braun has been protected and has been mentored by guys like Show and Henry and guided on how to be a monster. 

I think it is a safe bet that Nia was trained the same way Alexa Bliss was. 

Actually you can replace Nia with Baron Corbin in this too. 

Cass too.

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Cass too.

And Cass seemed to be improving working with Show. Or at least utilizing his size more. 

With Nia, I'm not sure how she can get that kind of experience because there are not many women like her wrestling here. Are most of the larger Joshi ladies retired?

4 minutes ago, Victator said:

And Cass seemed to be improving working with Show. Or at least utilizing his size more. 

With Nia, I'm not sure how she can get that kind of experience because there are not many women like her wrestling here. Are most of the larger Joshi ladies retired?

Aja Kong is still around as the general joshi neighborhood menace.

31 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

it seems like with heavyweights the learning curve is steep. it takes a long time to get really good. what are examples of heavyweights who were good really fast?

Keith Lee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

it seems like with heavyweights the learning curve is steep. it takes a long time to get really good. what are examples of heavyweights who were good really fast?

Willie Richardson, "the Black American Dream"

48 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

BRRRRAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

21 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I thought The Giant started out pretty good in WCW, then got unmotivated, and then eventually in WWE became actually good.

For his experience level he was really good. What he lacked in experience he made up for in presence and athletic ability.  Going to the WWF filled in the rest. 

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

I thought The Giant started out pretty good in WCW, then got unmotivated, and then eventually in WWE became actually good.

It took him and Henry a long time to figure shit out, but both became excellent big guy workers. Show from his feud with Sheamus on SD onwards was consistently great. The Henry stuff and his on/off with Braun have been fantastic runs.

54 minutes ago, Craig H said:

BRRRRAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

He spent a large amount of time on house shows either working Big Show, or watching Erick Rowan working Big Show and interfering as needed. Between working Big Show and the Big Dog, Braun did get really good a lot quicker than most big men do.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

He didn't just get good in the ring, but his presence and mic work really took off. He does an impressive job of saying very little and having all of that sound very menacing and real. 

I think Braun and Tenta are the two obvious choices. 

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He didn't just get good in the ring, but his presence and mic work really took off. He does an impressive job of saying very little and having all of that sound very menacing and real. 

Braun has the look, can work, has an awesome catchphrase and is believable in his role. Dude is absolute money. 

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He had a presence from the start. That he ended up being good in the ring was a bonus. 

It is very very petty, but I still want to gloat that I was right about Braun from the very beginning. 

Just now, Victator said:

He had a presence from the start. That he ended up being good in the ring was a bonus. 

It is very very petty, but I still want to gloat that I was right about Braun from the very beginning. 

I will disagree with the "from the start" part. When he first showed up and took off the sheep mask, everyone went from, "Holy shit, look at this monster!" to "LOL why the fuck does he have a baby's face?" For whatever reason, his hair style or something made him look like he had Alison Pill's face on a giant's body.

Then he went away, got repacked sort of, and the new hair cut totally got rid of that weird ass baby look. Everything looked more...proportionate. Better looking gear too. I think from that moment when he started that singles run is when he started to look like had a more menacing presence.

But different strokes for different folks.

2 minutes ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

I find it very hard to believe that Sara Amato, Dusty Rhodes, and William f’n Regal trained Nia Jax to wrestle the same as Alexa Bliss. 

Only 1 of the 3 you mentioned actually taught wrestling. Dusty ran the promo classes and Regal is a scout.

The actual wrestling trainers currently at the PC are: Matt Bloom, Sara Amato.Norman Smiley, Robbie Brookside, Scotty 2 Hotty, Shawn Michaels, Steve Corino, and Terry Taylor.

And Amato splits time between the PC and going on the road.