DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

20 minutes ago, Peck said:

I'm boggled as to why he'd even comment on it. Did he have any prior heat with Emma? Not that it would make it right, but if there was any beef between the two and he took some kind of satisfaction out of the job loss it would at least offer some sort of reasoning behind the Tweet. Just doing it randomly and out of the blue makes him look 10x worse, IMO.

There didn't seem to any malice behind it. More of a case of telling a stupid joke at the worst possible time and then doubling down when he got called out for it. That Lio tagged Asuka in the original tweet indicates he was trying to be funny. But he lacked awareness, which he's going to have to learn fast going forward.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

There didn't seem to any malice behind it. More of a case of telling a stupid joke at the worst possible time and then doubling down when he got called out for it. That Lio tagged Asuka in the original tweet indicates he was trying to be funny. But he lacked awareness, which he's going to have to learn fast going forward.

I mean, hell, he did a better job of putting Asuka over with his tweet than the agents did in laying out the two Emma/Asuka matches. I think it's easy to see what he was trying to do. He's just a dumb 22 year old in over his head.

It's simple.  People these days especially on social media they want to run there quickly as possible and pile up the likes and retweets.  They aren't thinking before they hit submit.  Twitter and IG has exposed many many morons. 

..and dude.  If you just started a new job it's best to SHUT THE F UP. 

58 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The issue was that they spent plenty of time building it up naturally over 3-4 NXT tapings to make it work (first as a heel, and then as the crowd turned her as someone with a real connection) and she was just dropped onto the main roster without build or explanation. It was the sort of thing they've been doing wrong for years. 

On the other hand, it's their fault for miscasting her for Emmalina, but I do feel like that if she had figured out how to make it work, they would have pushed her to the moon and she probably would have ended up making as much money as any female WWE star in years. So that's definitely on her to a degree.  

Yeah, I'm not going to argue that Emma was an all-time wrestler, but I think the way she's been treated highlights a flaw in the NXT system. People get these characters that often develop a following in a quite natural way, over weeks of TV, if not months. And then they just get promoted and the extent of the character build is "it's X from NXT", which ignores that most people who watch Raw won't be an NXT viewer so the reason clumsy Emma or Boliever Bo are fun characters is totally lost and they are just another nondescript wrestler on a roster that is already huge. And it happens so often I'm left questioning if it's just deliberate negligence or if it's sheer inability to understand that NXT doesn't have the same audience as Raw.

• Like 4

The way I describe it is many NXT gimmicks are for the arthouse crowd, but main roster WWE is the $150 Million comic-book blockbuster. 95% of Raw or SDL's audience won't care that Tyler Breeze had seasonal residences or Emma's bubble gimmick shifted over the years. Different viewers and different expectations. At some point, NXT has to bear most of the blame. HHH or someone in Orlando has to know that certain gimmicks will never make it with Vince and that they're setting up a lot of talent for nearly-surefire failure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The way I describe it is many NXT gimmicks are for the arthouse crowd, but main roster WWE is the $150 Million comic-book blockbuster. 95% of Raw or SDL's audience won't care that Tyler Breeze had seasonal residences or Emma's bubble gimmick shifted over the years. Different viewers and different expectations. At some point, NXT has to bear most of the blame. HHH or someone in Orlando has to know that certain gimmicks will never make it with Vince and that they're setting up a lot of talent for nearly-surefire failure.

Except there's really not a lot of evidence to that because of horrible, plastic, main roster story telling. You may have the opinion it's an "arthouse" gimmick, but without the proper push its dead regardless of anything else.

• Like 1

They kid themselves into thinking it will get over by running NXT shows the night before Summerslam where they draw huge crowds.  Those shows fool the main roster into thiking the talent can translate without a problem.

It is like in hockey where some guys are groomed to be top six players and others bottom six.  You can be a great scorer in the AHL yet your game is not tailored for a top six forward.  You can be a great AHL player yet bound for the fourth line in the NHL.  

The main roster, like the NHL, exposes the flaws that a small roster, lesser talent, and small crowd can cover up.

NXT creates too many bottom roster talents that are over in their more indy/arthouse format yet on the main roster they will be forever relegated to curtain jerkers.

• Like 3

Sad to see all three go. Darren Young was very solid in the ring and was a fine Ricky Morton during PTP's face run. That seemed to be his ceiling but man, the PTP reuniting in the current dire Raw tag division would have gotten over.

Summer added a lot to Fandango's gimmick when she was with him. Her facials (settle down you fucking animals) and body movements during matches really sold that he was in peril when the Babyface would be wailing on him. I thought she could have done really well as a manager. 

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The way I describe it is many NXT gimmicks are for the arthouse crowd, but main roster WWE is the $150 Million comic-book blockbuster. 

I look at nxt like a premium tv series. Ratings don't matter. Advertising doesnt matter. What matters is people continue to subscribe to the premium channel. It puts much less pressure on the staff. They can give themselves more time for angles and characters to develop. The main roster is a  $150 million dollar comic-book blockbuster put on twice a week (three if there's a ppv and several times more if you count house shows). An Emma or Tyler Breeze would never headline a movie so they're just a moving part in the machine. The audience knows they're just the background noise. The A-list performers star in the movie several times a month. Everyone has seen that movie. So you end up with a lot of boring at the top and indifference towards everything else.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

How could they not find a way to work Summer Rae into the Fashion Files?

Cuz she was on the Raw Roster?

In all serious who knows if they even thought of it, out of sight out of mind.

3 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I heard Lana was released.  Any truth to this?   I can't see them releasing someone that had as big a role on total divas as Lana  but it's WWE so who knows.

I haven't heard anything about Lana- but I heard differing whispers.

I don't buy the whispers, because if people are going, it'd likely be: Neville, Bob Backlund (since his "part" just ended with Young's release), and one other IF THERE ARE more.

I'll say it, I feel worse for Lio than I do for Emma.  Would rather get laid off from my job through no real fault of my own than screw something up and have all my co-workers line up to tell me I'm trash over the course of an afternoon while a large crowd screams "YAAAAS DRAG HIM".