DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, Dog said:

Didn't they try that last time, only to find out no one but USA wanted them?

Or are they just planning to announce the same old deal as some kind of huge success?

Yes.  But you never know unless you try?   

I'm sure Vince and other executives have been quietly approached about rights for their product.  Whether or not they actually get a deal that's worth it is another thing. 

So Mania has the likelihood to be Brock vs Roman - Universal Championship and Cena vs Mahal - WWE Championship. Yuck.

We are getting Brock vs Roman I've accepted that. I don't like it but I've accepted it.

I really don't wanna see Cena vs Mahal at Mania. I would like one of the World Championship matches at 'Mania to not be completely despised by the entire audience. At this point I think Cena is the only one beating Mahal for the Championship.  I'd rather the match be at Clash of Champions in December. I mean I'd much rather have Nakamura beat Mahal for the Championship but that ship has sailed for the WWE Brass. But I just really want the Jinder Experience to be over.

I think there would be something poetic in John Cena starting off 2017 winning his 16th World Championship and tieing Flair's record and ending 2017 winning his 17th World Championship and breaking Flair's record.

Believe it or not I'd like to see Cena vs AJ vs Nakamura for the WWE Championship at Mania, even if Cena left as champion I'd be ok with it. That triple threat match would be really good and a great way to use AJ and Nak as anything involving Cena during Wrestlemania season is going to be treated like a big deal and get pushed heavy. When Cena's 17th reign happens (hopefully December) I think it's going to be a long one. If you're going to do a historic 17th reign go all out and have it be the longest reign of the "Modern Era" cuz you gotta stick it to CM Punk somehow. 

I wouldn't be too upset with Cena holding the WWE Championship from December '17 to Wrestlemania 36 in April '19. At least with Cena as opposed to Jinder I know that he can have a good match with anyone and can cut a promo and it actually interesting. I'd much rather have AJ or Nakamura hold the Championship for 15 months but that ain't happening.

As for Jinder, where do you go after the Championship run is over? I think his schtick might work better as US champ but Idk if I or anyone for that matter wants to see Jinder with another Championship too soon after the current run is over. But I can see the argument of keeping Jinder as a focal point of SmackDown even if he's not WWE Champion as to still push him hard in India.

If anything I think the best use of Jinder Mahal at Mania believe it or not would be to have him in the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. The final two are Jinder and Mojo Rawley and this time, Mahal's buddyy Arjan Bhullar gets involved helps Mahal eliminate Rawley and Mahal wins the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Oddly enough, the mid-carders and guys that missed and missed again are likely much better teachers than the superstars like Shawn Michaels. Look at baseball, how many great hitters and pitchers became great coaches? Very, very few. Your great coaches were guys like Walt Hriniak who had to work his ass off just to keep a job, whereas someone like Ted Williams or Rogers Hornsby (arguably two of the greatest hitters who ever lived), were incapable of teaching what they did. When you're doing something at an almost superhuman level, (say it with me!) "You Can't Teach That!".

I'd be willing to bet that Norman Smiley and Matt Bloom are light-years ahead of Shawn Michaels as teachers.

Nia Jax needed (and deserved) a LOT more training in NXT. Working as a monster is way, way harder than one would think. You're always going to be scared to death of hurting someone and building the skill and confidence to keep that fear in check is not an easy thing by any means. For large size folk, Braun "got it" faster than anyone else I've ever seen. From day one the only knock on him was that he looked like he was nice as pie. I couldn't buy him as a monster when he looked like the neighbor who shovels snow out of everyone's driveway and plays Santa for the kids at the community center. Some minor tweaks to his appearance fixed that and he grasped the concept of "less is more" far faster than most. Hell, guys that have been around twice as long are still trying to figure out the balance and he's already got it down cold.  He's only 34, so we may be watching someone who will turn out to be pretty special.

Just like Wayne Gretsky.  Best player of all time but a horrible coach.  Could not understand why players could not see and play the game like he could.  

Meanwhile, the fourth liners are often the best coaches because they understand their limitations and the limitations of their teammates.  They know their job.

13 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

In fairness, in the WWE system Albert is a guy who missed and missed and missed and missed and missed.  He got more aborted pushes than Davey Boy Smith.  Hopefully his teaching is soley based on that one Albert/Kane match that we all rave about.  Not sure what else his WWE career has to go on.  

Albert was a very good big man. He could usually produce good TV matches, he did not magically become good setting foot in Japan. He also debuted when Russo was at the height of his power and was given a bad gimmick he could never quite shake. He should have been more protected than he was. 

That said he was more successful in WWE than most wrestlers in history. He was a TV fixture for years and was pushed as threat for a few of them. Most guys can't get their foot in the door. 

I watched Randy v Shawn from World Tour 1992 last night. Dullsville! Randy may or may not have been hurt before the match. But he and Shawn had zero chemistry. 

Sheri tried to pep things up, but even she couldn't make it work as well as it needed. (At one point, she gets launched off the apron - it was the biggest bump of the match.) 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Albert was a very good big man. He could usually produce good TV matches, he did not magically become good setting foot in Japan. He also debuted when Russo was at the height of his power and was given a bad gimmick he could never quite shake. He should have been more protected than he was. 

That said he was more successful in WWE than most wrestlers in history. He was a TV fixture for years and was pushed as threat for a few of them. Most guys can't get their foot in the door. 

Albert was a great guy. He'd give you the hair off his back.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2017 at 3:26 PM, DeathyBoy said:

It took him and Henry a long time to figure shit out, but both became excellent big guy workers. Show from his feud with Sheamus on SD onwards was consistently great. The Henry stuff and his on/off with Braun have been fantastic runs.

I think you're selling Show way short. At the very worst, he was great when he came back in 2008. The Mayweather match was his probably career best and certainly his best individual performance. I'd say he was at least good for the majority of his career, though. He was very carry-able early in his WCW run and was amazingly athletic at his size. He did have a rough 98/99 due to what can really be boiled down to youth and inexperience. He had no motivation after a couple years in WCW, and then struggled to adjust to the higher expectations in WWE (and also didn't get much help from the writers). By 2000, he was back on track, and it was just a matter of his health and interest by the writers coinciding that determined his overall output. You won't find too many technical flaws from him after 99.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

I watched Randy v Shawn from World Tour 1992 last night. Dullsville! Randy may or may not have been hurt before the match. But he and Shawn had zero chemistry. 

Sheri tried to pep things up, but even she couldn't make it work as well as it needed. (At one point, she gets launched off the apron - it was the biggest bump of the match.) 

A lot of Randy's matches from that period were based around selling the knee, so they're pretty uniform. Of course, he was spectacular at selling it, especially when he'd almost crash and burn on the top rope to sell the peril of attempting the elbow drop. 

They would have had better matches if their paths had crossed a few years later. Randy was one of the few A-listers in WCW still working his ass off, so I think he would have been motivated to do something special with Shawn. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I think you're selling Show way short. At the very worst, he was great when he came back in 2008. The Mayweather match was his probably career best and certainly his best individual performance. I'd say he was at least good for the majority of his career, though. He was very carry-able early in his WCW run and was amazingly athletic at his size. He did have a rough 98/99 due to what can really be boiled down to youth and inexperience. He had no motivation after a couple years in WCW, and then struggled to adjust to the higher expectations in WWE (and also didn't get much help from the writers). By 2000, he was back on track, and it was just a matter of his health and interest by the writers coinciding that determined his overall output. You won't find too many technical flaws from him after 99.

I second this, but also wanna chime in and mention his WWECW title run. Show really worked his ass off and was a crazy amount of fun to watch

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

There's a story in Bret's book about a match he had on SNME with Savage, where Vince instructed Bret to work Savage's leg the entire match.  I bring it up because the Savage-Michaels match reminds me a lot of that match, and I wonder if Shawn (a newly-minted heel at that point) was given the same assignment.  (The match was also coming right off of Savage nearly getting his knee blown out winning the World title from Flair at WM8, so perhaps he was selling the match.)

• Like 1

On that Keith Lee tip... I think it was @RIPPA who posted the free EVOLVE match between Lee and Matt Riddle... yeah, I didn't come out a fan of Keith Lee, but I'm totally on the Riddle hypetrain now. Maybe I need to watch some of Lee's PWG stuff or something (which won't happen because I don't buy DVDs/shows so whatever) but if someone is willing to post a really good match that Keith Lee has had (and that's free) I'll give it a second shot. 

Just type Keith Lee into Youtube - most of the free stuff is EVOLVE or Beyond

two of the matches vs. Donovan Dijak are there.

As is the first match against Chris Hero

Ditto the Brian Cage match

And there is a 10 minute sprint vs. Jeff Cobb that is a hoot

On 10/27/2017 at 2:38 PM, Victator said:

But those tie into the original point: Albert was a very good big man (and arguably the first guy who was truly destroyed by the IWC since it actually became a thing- since A-Train was a perfectly solid big man who was more than capable in the role...but he couldn't shake the hatred of 2002 smarks who couldn't stop whining that they wanted Matt Hardy V1 in his spot)...but he wasn't one of the greatest monsters of all time, with only his run in Japan being a particularly truly acclaimed monster run.

But that is the whole point- in all likeliness, Albert's career trajectory in the US and Japan means he should KNOW how to teach someone to be a great monster heel (because he managed to be a great monster heel while still being the type of person who had to LEARN how to be a great monster heel)...so he should have been able to teach Nia Jax how to be a great monster...and she just hasn't been.

I'm not sure if the trainers deserve most of the blame, we don't know if she was trained to be a monster and she isn't able to pull it off. I agree that Nia works too light and doesn't give off a 'monster' vibe at all. She also seems to be an incredibly nice person which shows on TV as well, her personality isn't a heel and she isn't a good enough actress to act like a heel, some things can't be taught. Viper has the same issue I think, she has trouble hiding the fact she's a sweetheart and works too soft to be a monster even though her move set and booking is generally in that direction. My assumption is that it is much harder than it sounds to train someone to be something they naturally aren't, sometimes it isn't possible.

It doesn't help that her theme is not foreboding and she makes herself up too much. I feel like Tamina does her act better than she does. But Tamina has the stink of the old Diva's division on her. Not that Tamina is great in the ring but she gives off a killer vibe. You could steal a pay per view with her. 

That was a term I heard on the Cornette podcast in regards to Matt Morgan. That he did not think Matt Morgan was a legendary talent but that WWE could have at least stolen a pay per view with him.