DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

Just now, Victator said:

He had a presence from the start. That he ended up being good in the ring was a bonus. 

It is very very petty, but I still want to gloat that I was right about Braun from the very beginning. 

I will disagree with the "from the start" part. When he first showed up and took off the sheep mask, everyone went from, "Holy shit, look at this monster!" to "LOL why the fuck does he have a baby's face?" For whatever reason, his hair style or something made him look like he had Alison Pill's face on a giant's body.

Then he went away, got repacked sort of, and the new hair cut totally got rid of that weird ass baby look. Everything looked more...proportionate. Better looking gear too. I think from that moment when he started that singles run is when he started to look like had a more menacing presence.

But different strokes for different folks.

2 minutes ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

I find it very hard to believe that Sara Amato, Dusty Rhodes, and William f’n Regal trained Nia Jax to wrestle the same as Alexa Bliss. 

Only 1 of the 3 you mentioned actually taught wrestling. Dusty ran the promo classes and Regal is a scout.

The actual wrestling trainers currently at the PC are: Matt Bloom, Sara Amato.Norman Smiley, Robbie Brookside, Scotty 2 Hotty, Shawn Michaels, Steve Corino, and Terry Taylor.

And Amato splits time between the PC and going on the road.

Whatever they did in the old days for Vader, Hansen, Brody, Abby, Nord, Gordy etc etc, they just need to figure out that and make big entertaining scary dudes and dudettes.

Bottle that magic WWE... somehow...

or just hire Jeff Cobb and Keith Lee to add to the HOSS division!

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Keith Lee

He's been wrestling 12 years. Was he good that long before anyone knew who he was? He wrestled on crap Texas Indies for years.

Nia always seemed too nice. Like, you can be nice and still be imposing and physical, which is how I think of someone like Awesome Kong. Nia, though, seems like a sweetheart...and she hits like one, too. Way too light for her own good, even for a company where working light is preferred (unless you're Brock Lesnar). 

I also support her if she really is willing to walk and go back to modeling because her booking isn't what she wants. I root for wrestlers with options. I mean, real options like Nia and Enzo have, not "options" like Dolph Ziggler's "comedy" career, and yes, I think the scare quotes are appropriate here. 

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Nia always seemed too nice. Like, you can be nice and still be imposing and physical, which is how I think of someone like Awesome Kong. Nia, though, seems like a sweetheart...and she hits like one, too. Way too light for her own good, even for a company where working light is preferred (unless you're Brock Lesnar). 

I also support her if she really is willing to walk and go back to modeling because her booking isn't what she wants. I root for wrestlers with options. I mean, real options like Nia and Enzo have, not "options" like Dolph Ziggler's "comedy" career, and yes, I think the scare quotes are appropriate here. 

I feel like if they had options they would not be wrestling. I think it could help Nia if she could work with Aja Kong or even working with men. People she could lay into without fearing for their safety. 

8 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Saw some online jibber jabber that they expect Cena to return and take the title off Jinder at...Wrestlemania?!  I didn't think they'd be willing to keep the title on him that long...but if business is better than expected...

18 minutes ago, caley said:

Saw some online jibber jabber that they expect Cena to return and take the title off Jinder at...Wrestlemania?!  I didn't think they'd be willing to keep the title on him that long...but if business is better than expected...

It will be an Empty Arena match. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ace said:

Only 1 of the 3 you mentioned actually taught wrestling. Dusty ran the promo classes and Regal is a scout.

The actual wrestling trainers currently at the PC are: Matt Bloom, Sara Amato.Norman Smiley, Robbie Brookside, Scotty 2 Hotty, Shawn Michaels, Steve Corino, and Terry Taylor.

So, correction- the Head Coach in the Performance Center (and thus someone who'd likely teach men and women) is Giant Bernard and he couldn't teach Nia how to work like a monster?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

So, correction- the Head Coach in the Performance Center (and thus someone who'd likely teach men and women) is Giant Bernard and he couldn't teach Nia how to work like a monster?

It's possible she's just always going to be shit.  Warrior worked with a bunch of good workers, and he was always shit.

33 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

It's possible she's just always going to be shit.  Warrior worked with a bunch of good workers, and he was always shit.

He improved a lot by 91 before he disappeared. Which came from working with guys like Rude, Honky and Savage. He was never the same after Summerslam 91. But he had gotten good by then. 

57 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

In fairness, in the WWE system Albert is a guy who missed and missed and missed and missed and missed.  He got more aborted pushes than Davey Boy Smith.  Hopefully his teaching is soley based on that one Albert/Kane match that we all rave about.  Not sure what else his WWE career has to go on.  

3 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

In fairness, in the WWE system Albert is a guy who missed and missed and missed and missed and missed.  He got more aborted pushes than Davey Boy Smith.  Hopefully his teaching is soley based on that one Albert/Kane match that we all rave about.  Not sure what else his WWE career has to go on.  

HEY! There were two good Kane matches.

13 hours ago, Ace said:

Isn't Sarah Stock the head women's trainer at the PC nowadays?

Speaking of the TV rights - for those curious. From yesterday's WWE Q3 report

The company pushed the new television negotiations. The deal with NBC Universal expires on September 30th, 2019, while deals in the United Kingdom and India, the other two largest revenue television deals, expire on December 31st, 2019.

They are targeting a new U.S. deal and announcement sometime between May and September of 2018.

9 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Oddly enough, the mid-carders and guys that missed and missed again are likely much better teachers than the superstars like Shawn Michaels. Look at baseball, how many great hitters and pitchers became great coaches? Very, very few. Your great coaches were guys like Walt Hriniak who had to work his ass off just to keep a job, whereas someone like Ted Williams or Rogers Hornsby (arguably two of the greatest hitters who ever lived), were incapable of teaching what they did. When you're doing something at an almost superhuman level, (say it with me!) "You Can't Teach That!".

I'd be willing to bet that Norman Smiley and Matt Bloom are light-years ahead of Shawn Michaels as teachers.

Nia Jax needed (and deserved) a LOT more training in NXT. Working as a monster is way, way harder than one would think. You're always going to be scared to death of hurting someone and building the skill and confidence to keep that fear in check is not an easy thing by any means. For large size folk, Braun "got it" faster than anyone else I've ever seen. From day one the only knock on him was that he looked like he was nice as pie. I couldn't buy him as a monster when he looked like the neighbor who shovels snow out of everyone's driveway and plays Santa for the kids at the community center. Some minor tweaks to his appearance fixed that and he grasped the concept of "less is more" far faster than most. Hell, guys that have been around twice as long are still trying to figure out the balance and he's already got it down cold.  He's only 34, so we may be watching someone who will turn out to be pretty special.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The company pushed the new television negotiations. The deal with NBC Universal expires on September 30th, 2019, while deals in the United Kingdom and India, the other two largest revenue television deals, expire on December 31st, 2019.

They are targeting a new U.S. deal and announcement sometime between May and September of 2018.

Didn't they try that last time, only to find out no one but USA wanted them?

Or are they just planning to announce the same old deal as some kind of huge success?

You forget that Vince will always always always think WWE is far more mainstream and pop-culturally important than it is so he is probably going in thinking that he can get a large deal. He's probably not delusional enough to think it's going to be NFL big but I could see him expecting something along lines of the NHL but not as long (and there for not as high of a total figure). And like last time his hopes will be crushed like the hopes of so many midcard wresters in WWE history.

• Like 1