DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

So, is wrestling dying in the United States? 

It might be about as mainstream as the PBA now is or something in the next decade. It's headed toward being a total niche product for diehard wrestling fans. 

Something like LU would have caught on fire in 1998, I think. In 2017, it's barely staying afloat. 

I'm curious why you think LU should be on fire when it's on a network about 2/3 of the country doesn't get and when you round down, 0% of the country watches.  I think it's pretty impressive the show still can draw over 150K viewers when it does.  And it did well enough for Netflix to pick it up.  Granted, a fourth season doesn't seem likely, but I think realistically, the show overachieved if this ends up being it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The new WWE game commercial just came on and the rapper in it (who is supposed to be Enzo. I think it's actually Snoop) said "be seen, like Dolph" and I just muted it and started laughing

Wait, what? Do you really think they're trying to present that commercial like Enzo Amore is rapping and not the very recognizable voice of Snoop Dogg? I'm very confused with the first half of your comment.

• Like 3

Couple of quick follow-ups on things from the new WON

- Shield is supposedly going to be together through Rumble

- Neville is definitely gone but not talking until he gets his release (which he and the WWE are clearly both still working out). 

- re: Nia Jax

Jax (Saveline Fanene, 33) has apparently taken a leave of absence from the promotion for personal reasons according to a number of reports going around and sources we have indicate that is accurate, but WWE has officially denied that story being accurate. She has been pulled from some appearances and among the wrestlers the word was she asked for a leave of absence for reasons not explained. She is still booked on the European tour and when asking company officials when she’s expected back on the road, and if she’ll be on the European tour, they said that she never left. There is talk about her being unhappy with her creative, which does make sense since her creative really hasn’t made sense of late. What is weird is that she tweeted on 10/16 about being excited for Raw, but she was never even at Raw. They had done an angle where she gave Bliss the electric chair and challenged her for the title, which they’d spent months building, and then she was back in almost a bodyguard role for Bliss a couple of weeks later, still aligned with her, with the angle forgotten, which made no sense. Most likely she would have been programmed with Banks, because Banks beating Fox clean last week on TV, only to set up a rematch where Banks won with the same tap out finish, to build up a PPV match feels like Banks was being built up for someone other than Fox. Others have indicated Banks vs. Jax was scheduled for the TLC show

Oh and the follow-up on the Bo Dallas illness

Both Wyatt and Dallas missed the second straight week house shows and television, this week, as did ring announcer JoJo Offerman (who Wyatt is currently dating). Wyatt wasn’t at Raw last week but they had a pre-taped segment where he turned into Sister Abigail, which makes you think it was something they were aware of in advance. But Wyatt, who was in a key PPV match, wasn’t on the go-home show. The only thing we’ve heard and WWE confirmed this was that Dallas was still sidelined with an undisclosed illness as of this past week, but the idea Wyatt and JoJo would be gone this long over his brother being ill makes you worry. The only thing acknowledged was last week on television when Miz wished Dallas well

15 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It might be about as mainstream as the PBA now is or something in the next decade. It's headed toward being a total niche product for diehard wrestling fans. 

Something like LU would have caught on fire in 1998, I think. In 2017, it's barely staying afloat. 

Nah. The wrestling audience is made up of casuals and diehards. The casuals only show up when there is a reason to. What that reason is can be annoying to diehards. For example, Shanes jump from the cell a few weeks back went well beyond the wrestling bubble. 

For me LU was just too much tv. When it showed up on Netflix I was excited. I made through the first 10 episodes or so but just didn't have the time or desire to get through the next 25 1-hour episodes of the first season. 

PWI says Bray and JoJo are not sick - they are being kept away as a preventative measures since they have been exposed to it

Justin LaBar was the one who said it was meningitis and he as been comically wrong before.

That being said - that Pro Wrestling Votes place (which is basically another TMZ wrestling site like Pro Wrestling Sheet) is confirming that it is meningitis

2 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Well, I will say, throwing Bray into a match where he might have meningitis would be the first time a Bray match would actually be scary.

And people say that WWE Creative is shitty and doesn't come up with good ideas.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I dunno, there's too much wrestling to watch on a weekly basis for anything but the diehards. Raw & Smackdown is a huge time investment for most people while there is an ever increasing number of choices for people to while away their free time, without touching upon the PPVs which average at more than one a month over 2017 and then all the additional weekly programming like NXT, 205 Live & Main Event. But even without watching those shows, you're looking at 5 hours a week just to keep up with the main show. What other television programme asks that of you? 

Throw in a general sense of predictability, and just bad, inconsistent booking, it's a lot to slog through. Too much for most people. There's bad TV shows out there that I can watch that only take up 1 hour of my time every week, why'd I want 5 hours of a show that goes on forever while seemingly never going anywhere?

That doesn't mean that things wouldn't get bigger again in a different time with maybe less to watch and a better booked product. So I'd not say it's dying, it's just going through a period of stagnation because there's only 1 show in town as far as wrestling goes and the people there have grown hugely complacent since the competition died. But it's hard to imagine a scenario where that complacency goes away under the current management. The WWE as it is is just too big.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Wait, what? Do you really think they're trying to present that commercial like Enzo Amore is rapping and not the very recognizable voice of Snoop Dogg?

It's just how it starts with Enzo on the mic, like they're trying to pass it off as him. It actually took me a second for whatever reason. I mean I own Doggystyle on vinyl for fuck's sake, it's not like I'm unfamiliar