DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

I can almost understand sacrificing the RAW roster for that, but why the hell would you sacrifice the entire other brand as well?!?

They've spent the last four months sacrificing it for a land war in Asia anyway?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They've spent the last four months sacrificing it for a land war in Asia anyway?

Thinking you can win one of those is only the Second greatest blunder.

• Like 4

I thought Balor was going to get squashed like a bug by Brock next?

Nothing is gained toward the Reigns-Lesnar story on this, IMO. It's Jinder Mahal, not Bruno Sammartino in his prime.

That a possible Brock-Jinder match doesn't have the belts in contention makes no sense to me, but what do I know.

People wail about Roman getting a lot, but Jinder has gotten a lot more in these few months and SDL may as well be set on fire as a result along with Sister Abigail's grave. Matt is right with his analogy.

The smart move would probably be Brock-Roman at Survivors Series, Roman winning, then him taking the WWE belt from Jinder in India. Burn off Jinder's rematch at Royal Rumble. Brock rampages for a minute and gets his rematch at Mania. Introduce a new WWE Universal championship belt at WM and Roman can then move between both shows.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I now regret having tickets.

You can always hold out hope that Brock will squash him in such a way somebody makes the "Jinder Mahal was 31 years old" joke

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I want a redux of this with Jinder and the Singh's.

I was going to say something about how I'd rather see Brock wrestle Jamie, but, shit, I'd rather see Noble wrestle than about 75% of the roster.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brandon-E said:

I don't think Jinder Mahal's push is as forced as the push Jeff Jarrett got in 2000 WCW. Am I correct? 

Jeff Jarrett isn't good as a top guy, but he didn't  feel out of place as a top guy in the context of 2000 WCW. Jinder would feel out of place as US champ right now.

I guess the easy to way to compare the two is asking which was a bigger travesty? AJ Styles being put on the back burner for Jarrett in 05 or AJ Styles being put on the back burner for Jinder Mahal in 17?

19 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I thought Balor was going to get squashed like a bug by Brock next?

Nothing is gained toward the Reigns-Lesnar story on this, IMO. It's Jinder Mahal, not Bruno Sammartino in his prime.

That a possible Brock-Jinder match doesn't have the belts in contention makes no sense to me, but what do I know.

People wail about Roman getting a lot, but Jinder has gotten a lot more in these few months and SDL may as well be set on fire as a result along with Sister Abigail's grave. Matt is right with his analogy.

The smart move would probably be Brock-Roman at Survivors Series, Roman winning, then him taking the WWE belt from Jinder in India. Burn off Jinder's rematch at Royal Rumble. Brock rampages for a minute and gets his rematch at Mania. Introduce a new WWE Universal championship belt at WM and Roman can then move between both shows.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. First Lesnar beats Strowman and Joe, both in singles matches and a fatal four way (pinned Reigns). Lesnar also has a victory over Goldberg. All of that build up for Reigns to become champion. But, after we zap what's left of the aura from Lesnar for the sake of Reigns, let's have him also beat Jinder Mahal in his kayfabe home country, where the country's most popular football star is going to watch him perform live. Then, just to really drive it home that nothing matters anymore besides one person - let's have Mahal/Reigns at Royal Rumble and Reigns go over, again. Lesnar wins the Rumble, and promptly gets beat by Reigns (Lesnar has maybe one or two more matches then his contract expires in the Summer of 2018). And then he's the Undisputed WWE Universal champion (or whatever) and moves between RAW and Smackdown, having a vice grip on that title for a year or longer most likely.

Gross, no thanks. I rather SHIELD stay around for awhile, let everyone get their nostalgia fill, and have Ambrose be the one to end it all this time. Heel Ambrose versus Face Reigns program for the title would put a sweet taste in my mouth after what's already a sour situation. And you also have the role reversal feud of Ambrose/Rollins down the pipeline (or before a Reigns feud, whatever works).

The point I'm admittedly making poorly is that Vince wants Roman to be the #1 guy.  Doesn't matter if you agree or not.  So he should stop tiptoeing around it. Put the Universal belt on Reigns ASAP and leave it on him for at least a year. See where it goes with a sustained push.

The biggest issue with all this is Vince got cold feet at WM 31 when he should have forged ahead with his plans. They spent several months on a Rollins world title reign when he was no more ready than Reigns even when being supposedly helped with HHH and Stephanie in his corner. (We all know that didn't help Rollins, just that it was the intent.) It was a waste of everyone's time.

It's my two-bit opinion once that's done, they can do a reset of sorts on Raw.  It's not as if Reigns is a scrub and holds no value. Him as Universal Champion will likely be fine.

Mahal, on the other hand? I just don't know. The guy is trying his best. But SmackDown is so out of joint, and him being WWE Champion plays a part in that. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprise me if this all leads to Cena coming back and winning his 17th world title off Mahal before passing the belt back to Styles or Nakamura.

We've discussed this a lot in the past but I think the TV audience has pretty much bottomed out.  I think there are 2.5-3.0 million people who will watch WWE every week regardless.  Attendance figures are a little tougher to predict.  These SDL's  and even some RAWs have had terrible attendance compared to years prior.  House shows are down too.  I know there's this idea that they "don't care" because it's all about the network but I gotta call bullshit on that.  Survivor Series is coming up,  there are 4 shows in Houston, correct?  Are they going to be able to sellout 4 straight nights?  Or any of those nights?  And what about WrestleMania at the Superdome.  We saw that tickets were slow for Dallas until it was announced that Shane would be fighting Taker in a Hell in a Cell.  

I've seen no evidence to suggest that Roman Reigns is a needle mover with TV or puts asses in seats.  He moves merch but anyone with a sustained push moves merch.  See Randy Orton.  I agree that if you are going to push him as THE GUY then sure,  go ahead and do it..  but we've seen enough at this point, I don't think he has it to be a John Cena level draw,  never mind a Rock or an Austin.  They need to be giving guys like AJ Styles more of an opportunity to run with the ball.  At least he's an example of someone who is universally loved.  This shit with Roman (who again,  I think is REALLY good..) has been treading water for 4 years. 

Meltz says that AJ is too old to be The Guy, but I think he'd serve as a tremendous Bret Hart-esque bridge and give them time to build up (organically hopefully?) the next TEH GUY (I honestly think they already have him in Big E). I've given up all hope on WWE at least until Vince passes the torch to Trips (and I have reservations about him too) and I no longer get emotionally invested and am much happier when I watch the big shows and check out the odd TV highlight, so I understand that Roman's going to get anointed at Mania and probably hold the belt for a long time... but it just seems so forced and backwards. He's not going to be the draw they want him to be, at least not until he gets a lengthy run as a heel and then MAYBE at that point wins over the smart fans. AJ does everything extraordinarily well outside of promos and even then he went from "southern guy they don't trust" in the initial Jericho feud to somebody who can more than hold his own when paired up with Cena, certainly better than Reigns did. He's old and I can't imagine his body holding up too much longer but they should capitalize on him while they can.

They totalled screwed up on not having Braun beat Brock, yes he is green but I feel like there is enough talented and veteran wrestlers on the roster that they could have guided him to stellar matches until Royal Rumble when he could've lost the belt to Roman and they could have had Brock win the Rumble and start building Brock vs Roman from there. I don't think Roman needs to necessarily has to beat Brock for the title but more so beat Brock in general. 

• Like 3