DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

Different standard for producers than the talent,  unfortunately. Hopefully this is one of those "go home and learn your lesson and we'll bring you back in six months" deals like they did with people like Finlay. Sucks that Jimmy got fired and I imagine he, like everyone else involved, didn't anticipate the reaction. 

The whole thing was just ill-conceived. It went from parody to actively mocking the WWE's business. That's going to get you heat.

5 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Different standard for producers than the talent, unfortunately. Hopefully this is one of those "go home and learn your lesson and we'll bring you back in six months" deals like they did with people like Finlay. 

I hope so. I was happy Jacobs was able to get a job in the 'E that didn't require him to wreck his body any further.

• Like 1

What was the dumb shit TNA did a few years back when the WWE was in Orlando and they had like Abyss and other people show up to give them balloons? I think they had to blur out Rey Mysterio or something. I can't recall if anything came of that or if WWE was already in the phase of not even deigning that TNA exists (which, honestly, is the most hilariously petty thing they've ever done. They'll acknowledge obscure indies but ignore a company that was watched by a million people for a few years. )

58 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Different standard for producers than the talent,  unfortunately. Hopefully this is one of those "go home and learn your lesson and we'll bring you back in six months" deals like they did with people like Finlay. Sucks that Jimmy got fired and I imagine he, like everyone else involved, didn't anticipate the reaction. 

The whole thing was just ill-conceived. It went from parody to actively mocking the WWE's business. That's going to get you heat.

This seems to be lost with some on social media. As long as Bullet Club and the Young Bucks were across the proverbial street with their gimmick, WWE didn't bother. Only when they pulled the 'invasion' stunt did Vince officially go after them. And if Jacobs was already on Vince's bad list as suggested, then there's no way that photo was going to go over at all. 

Don't throw poke a bear and expect to walk away without getting mauled. Chances are you won't.

Yeah, and it's just...why post that on Instagram with a #BCInvasion? You're endorsing dudes showing up and making fun of your company? Phil's theory that he was looking to get fired to jumpstart an indy run actually makes sense here.  

Where do we want to rank this on dumb ways to get fired from a WWE office job? 

Hmmm I'd say it's slightly below Brad Maddox getting fired for saying "Cocky pricks" in a dark match promo, way below Abraham Washington getting canned for the Kobe joke and not even in the same galaxy of Amy Zidian who didn't know who Stephanie McMahon was and insulted Vickie Guerrero but it's above JR getting fired for not controlling drunk Ric Flair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Hagan said:

What was the dumb shit TNA did a few years back when the WWE was in Orlando and they had like Abyss and other people show up to give them balloons? I think they had to blur out Rey Mysterio or something. I can't recall if anything came of that or if WWE was already in the phase of not even deigning that TNA exists (which, honestly, is the most hilariously petty thing they've ever done. They'll acknowledge obscure indies but ignore a company that was watched by a million people for a few years. )

Was this around the time a Highlander was shown on TNA (giant dick move on their part) and fired?

12 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Hmmm I'd say it's slightly below Brad Maddox getting fired for saying "Cocky pricks" in a dark match promo, way below Abraham Washington getting canned for the Kobe joke and not even in the same galaxy of Amy Zidian who didn't know who Stephanie McMahon was and insulted Vickie Guerrero but it's above JR getting fired for not controlling drunk Ric Flair.

Little did we know that Brad Maddox and "cocky pricks" would later have a new meaning.

• Haha 5

If only ol' Aaron Neville had used Go To Meeting.  Like when ol' Cold Stone walked out of the Omni cause he wasn't gonna do no GOD DAMN JOB to Brock Lesnar.  Instead of taking his ball and going home he could've used Go To Meeting's video conferencing technology and looked Vince McMahon right in his beady little eyes and explained in a very calm professional manner why he wasn't gonna do no GOD DAMN JOB to Brock Lesnar.  Neville could've used Go To Meeting to look Vince right in his damn beady little eyes and told it like it is that he knows sometimes everybody plays the fool but betcha by golly wow, I don't know much but I know I ain't doing NO GOD DAMN JOB to Enzo Amore".

Go To Meeting.  It's how business gets done.  Awww hell yeah!

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, BEN! said:

If only ol' Aaron Neville had used Go To Meeting.  Like when ol' Cold Stone walked out of the Omni cause he wasn't gonna do no GOD DAMN JOB to Brock Lesnar.  Instead of taking his ball and going home he could've used Go To Meeting's video conferencing technology and looked Vince McMahon right in his beady little eyes and explained in a very calm professional manner why he wasn't gonna do no GOD DAMN JOB to Brock Lesnar.  Neville could've used Go To Meeting to look Vince right in his damn beady little eyes and told it like it is that he knows sometimes everybody plays the fool but betcha by golly wow, I don't know much but I know I ain't doing NO GOD DAMN JOB to Enzo Amore".

Go To Meeting.  It's how business gets done.  Awww hell yeah!

** for effort 

Jimmy Jacobs appearing in a photo on twitter with some Bullet Club guys has virtually no material effect, positive or negative, on those wrestlers, WWE, ROH, NJPW, or anyone else WWE might be concerned about. Jacobs being fired over it is indefensible.

I've seen some people say things to the effect of "well, if I did [supposedly analogous thing] at MY job, I'd be fired too!" which only shows that yes, lots of company honchos are petty tyrants. We're all accustomed to this, but we shouldn't mistake it for justifiable behavior.

Some college kid posting a YouTube video joking on how Target is better than Walmart while working for Walmart also has no effect on the bottom line. But if the right/wrong person sees said video, that kid is getting reprimanded at best and more likely fired as there are 100 kids who can stock kitty litter for minimum wage.

Don't be the horrible warning in that often-used quote.

And again, the picture doesn't seem to be the sole reason for Jacobs getting canned. Just the reason that broke the ice.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Where does Joey Styles rank under dumb exits from the company? Fired for pissing off the company during a company sanctioned Facebook q&a.

Is that better/worse than Joey making a sexual reference after being told not to before a broadcast? 

10 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

And again, the picture doesn't seem to be the sole reason for Jacobs getting canned. Just the reason that broke the ice.

Did I miss something in the news posts? Or are we going off the last page or two of speculation that this was Jimmy’s master plan? 

7 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

It's what Ryan Satin hinted in his piece when he broke the news.

Thanks for clearing that up.

By all accounts from ex-employees being a WWE writer isn’t actually the dream job most fans think it would be. 

4 minutes ago, Zartan said:

By all accounts from ex-employees being a WWE writer isn’t actually the dream job most fans think it would be. 

I can't think of it being anything less than a nightmare.

7 minutes ago, Zartan said:

You're welcome. Yeah, writing for WWE has to be surreal. You spend a week writing promos and script, only for Vince to trash all of it 30 minutes before the show starts. It sounds like one of those jobs you'll take for a month to say you did it, then quit before you lose your mind.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Naito vs Neville please and thank you.

The only thing better than this would be Naito WITH Neville. Actually, thinking it through a bit, EVIL & Neville would be one hell of a great tag-team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, OSJ said:

The only thing better than this would be Naito WITH Neville. Actually, thinking it through a bit, EVIL & Neville would be one hell of a great tag-team. 

And the team name could be nEVILle. And I just want to say EVIL is a great example of how being repackaged can totally change a guy. As Wantanabe he didn't do much for me, but as EVIL he has become tremendous.

• Like 2