DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd recommend 1994. Dusty/Dustin/Nasty Boys vs. Col. Parker/Arn Anderson/Terry Funk/Bunkhouse Buck

8 hours ago, Infinit said:

Personally I liked 89. Road Warriors/MX/Dr Death vs The Freebird/SST had plenty of hate and violence.

Will definitely check these out.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The ending is botched badly by Sid, but 91 is really great.

There wasn't really a bad War Games until 95.

Was 91 released on any WWE DVDs? I feel like that might be one few the ones I've seen because I recall Sid knocking Pillman out with a botched powerbomb.

15 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

The story around Jinder's title run has been fine: 

-Wins a battle royal to become #1 contender: that's the most believable way for someone at his level to get to that spot.

People can like their stories however they want, but throwing an absolute job guy cold into a championship anything is lazy, poor story telling from the jump. 

Why was he like 5 wins and 90 losses on TV before this push? Because he was a bad pro wrestler that never made a connection with the crowd. 

Bad story/bad wrestler = Bad outcome.

12 hours ago, Ace said:

The slingshot bladejob I remember was WM20 against HHH and Benoit.

It was both. I miss blading so much, in certain circumstances, obviously.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’d also recommend 1994. Dusty/Dustin/Nasty Boys vs. Col. Parker/Arn Anderson/Terry Funk/Bunkhouse Buck

Is this the one that came about after that awesome father/son promo with the Rhodes’? 

**edit** 

Ahh yes, it was... 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

For a worked sport, people really cling to how guys are pushed by the company.  The story around Jinder's title run has been fine: 

-Wins a battle royal to become #1 contender: that's the most believable way for someone at his level to get to that spot.

-Announcers push during his build that he just has to get lucky to win/anyone can win one match: Anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation and all that, plus upsets do happen in real life.  They aren't pushing him as a legit threat, but someone who will have to get lucky to win.

-He pulls off the upset and retains through any means possible.  He's not going over guys cleanly, but he's needed lots of help.

The problem isn't the story or push, it's that in deciding to push someone new (as everyone had asked), they chose someone who was a crowd favorite, so the crowd is rejecting it.  As has been pointed out, the reactions have been similar to those during JBL's ascent.

In a worked sport how someone has been pushed is everything. The execution has been awful and Jinder is getting the worse month by month. They are running an identical finish almost every month. Jinder gets beat up, Singh Brothers run in, get beat up, Jinder hits his finisher.  The only variation has been when it was Khali who interfered. 

And as has been said Jinder is not nearly on the Level JBL was. He had been part of a very over act at the height of the wrestling boom and was always protected. Jinder was a jobber until he got the title. 

Also can anyone tell me why the singhs dress like waiters?

12 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Does anyone know how 91 would have ended had Sid not botched?

I've always heard it was going to end the same way. Sid isolating Pillman and beating the piss out of him until the refs called it. They had to go home early due to the botches. Trying to think where I heard that, I think it was either an Arn or Sid shoot interview.

• Like 1

FYI - Meltzer posted (to go along with the podcast he did with Jericho) the WON that covered Pillman's death

So if you are a subscriber and never read it - there ya go

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I've always heard it was going to end the same way. Sid isolating Pillman and beating the piss out of him until the refs called it. They had to go home early due to the botches. Trying to think where I heard that, I think it was either an Arn or Sid shoot interview.

Meltzer's recap

11. Ric Flair & Larry Zbyszko & Sid Vicious & Barry Windham defeated Sting & Brian Pillman & The Steiner brothers in 22:05 in the War Games. Suffice to say this is one of the best matches I've ever seen live. 22 minutes of solid mayhem with the crowd on its feet screaming from the opening of the action. This was supposed to be Pillman's night, since the object of this match was to get Pillman over and at the same time have him lose and carried out of the ring. On the surface, trying to accomplish both seemed mutually exclusive, but it seemed to have been successful. Pillman started with Windham for the first five minutes. It was the best I've seen Pillman look ever, and the best I've seen of Windham in years. The match kept that same level throughout. Windham bled buckets within the first two minutes. Flair was the next guy in for the 2-on-1 advantage (they have one hell of a lot of luck in calling those coin flips). Then came Sting, Zbyszko (subbing for Arn Anderson whose pulled groin hadn't recovered and apparently came back too soon at the Omni last Sunday), Rick Steiner, Sid Vicious and Scott Steiner in two minute intervals. Flair juiced heavy and Sting juiced as well. Basically this match delivered even more than it promised but there is a downside. In a match of this nature, all the juice and the constant low blows should be accepted because that iS what the match promised. However, if the promotion goes back to heavy juice nightly and all the low blows, they'll face all the same problems they faced in 1988 (which was the year that served as momentum and lessons not learned for the problems of 1989 and 1990). Finish saw Vicious give Pillman two power bombs, the first of which hurt him pretty bad legit. Pillman's feet hit the top of the cage and was slammed down wrong on his neck on the first bomb and legit knocked out--although this was supposed to be the finish. He ended up going to the hospital that night with muscle and ligament strains in his neck and is out of action as of this writing but isn't expected to be out that long. Anyway, in being carried out of the ring after ref Nick Patrick stopped the match, Pillman came off as the star of the night even in losing. This result is definitely an affront to anyone who believes you have to send the fans home happy on every big show, but the predictable finish (Zbyszko submitting) didn't take place. On TV, the down side was that on one occasion you could hear Sid Vicious and Rick Steiner setting up a spot. *****

On 10/5/2017 at 10:59 PM, PetrolCB said:

It was in such a weird spot. I know it was stitched, but I can’t imagine that thing staying shut if he made any facial expression since it was vertical above his nose. 

A friend of mine actually stitched him up that night. She was a nursing student and got to meet Michaels, HHH and Chyna. She said Chyna was super-nice to them. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer's recap

I do love how their big plan to get Pillman over was to have a monster beat the piss out of him and have him carried off on a stretcher. That'll really get the people behind him.

On 2017-10-05 at 10:38 AM, The Natural said:

Today is the  20th anniversary of Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker's Hell in a Cell match at In Your House 18: Badd Blood. A classic ***** match. Shawn Michaels' best match ever, same goes for Undertaker. The match also marks Kane's first appearance.

I agree that it’s Taker’s best match. However Michaels’ Best has gotta be the Rose/Somers stuff. I’m thinking the blood in the sand one.

On 10/6/2017 at 2:36 PM, Eivion said:

So aside from the 92 match what are the best War Games matches? It stopped being a thing by the time I really got into wrestling so I've never seen more than one or two when looking at past matches.

The 96 one has the really good angle with Sting that led to his Crow gimmick.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Two dates in India the 7th and the 8th of December.

FUCKING DECEMBER????!!!!!

The beauty of this is that almost no one outside of places like this (and India) know that's when this will end and that that's why this is going to go on so long (I wasn't even paying enough attention to know this). To everyone else this is just going to seem like a form of entertainment that is really really boring with badly told stories that go nowhere for the rest of the year.

I was watching Great American Bash 97 last night on the network when I saw an ad for Hell in the Cell tomorrow, and realized that I haven't watched anything current from WWE in probably well over a month, if not two.. That's probably the longest I've gone since the Benoit aftermath. If they're losing someone who has been for all intents and purposes a lifelong viewer, I can't imagine the opinions of someone who only marginally cares about what WWE puts out.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I was watching Great American Bash 97 last night on the network when I saw an ad for Hell in the Cell tomorrow, and realized that I haven't watched anything current from WWE in probably well over a month, if not two.. That's probably the longest I've gone since the Benoit aftermath. If they're losing someone who has been for all intents and purposes a lifelong viewer, I can't imagine the opinions of someone who only marginally cares about what WWE puts out.

I'm at the point where the only thing I'd come back to watching regularly for is if they gave the women their own show, but I also recognize that I have absolutely no faith in WWE to do a women's only show properly.

43 minutes ago, Sasha said:

I'm at the point where the only thing I'd come back to watching regularly for is if they gave the women their own show, but I also recognize that I have absolutely no faith in WWE to do anything other than fart and caca jokes properly.

FIFY

• Like 1