DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

I went to a WWE show in Boise on Saturday night. It was  Smackdown show. It was the worst wrestling show I've ever attended live. When you have Charlotte, Becky, AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, Shinsuke Nakamura and Sami Zayn on the show but the best actual match on the card is 10 minutes between Bobby Roode and Dolph Ziggler, you're doing something wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Ramsey said:

I went to a WWE show in Boise on Saturday night. It was  Smackdown show. It was the worst wrestling show I've ever attended live. When you have Charlotte, Becky, AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, Shinsuke Nakamura and Sami Zayn on the show but the best actual match on the card is 10 minutes between Bobby Roode and Dolph Ziggler, you're doing something wrong.

This sums up my opinion of SDL these days.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ramsey said:

Sorry you had a bad time.

In last month's discussion thread, I said I won't be watching WWE Live's return to the UK next month. The show closest to where I am is Smackdown, I have more favourites on RAW and I'm not paying to see Jinder fucking Mahal. House shows were better before the brand spilt as the talent were chosen instead of RAW or Smackdown Live only.

I was at the same Boise show and thought it was pedestrian but I've been to worse house shows with worse matches. They swung by last year for a Smackdown show that i found to be far less entertaining than this show. I went with a buddy who's a fan and his wife and my girlfriend, who don't watch, and they all had a great time. 

I will definitely admit that the Mahal/Nakamura main event was no good. They have no chemistry and had some people leaving within the first few minutes of the match. My friend and I joked about starting a USA chant during a match between two men not from the United States and a minute later an actual USA chant started, which had us howling with laughter. 

• Like 1

I was at a WWE Live Event a year ago (it was October 1st) it was a SmackDown show but it was a lot of fun and really good. Sad the difference a year can make. Main Event was Cena vs Styles vs Ambrose.

Shane McMahon, the son of SBA Administrator Linda McMahon and body-slamming businessman and WWE founder Vince McMahon, has invested heavily in a company that produces pre-fabricated modules for growing pot, according to court papers.

In 2015, Shane ponied up $500,000 for a large stake in the Connecticut-based firm EnviroGrow, which sells the modules in states where the drug is legal for medical or recreational use.

Shane’s role in the business was to help the modules – which look like shipping containers – get some buzz in the fast-growing world of cannabis farms and sales.

I have a couple of pals who usually come into town for wrestling and over the past year both guys have opted out of WWE live events (and one stopped watching altogether). They both cite Jinder and Roman as the reason for their lack of interest. It's a good thing there's fairly regular independents in Ontario or they'd both be out entirely.

As was reported a few weeks back in the Observer, it is now official that WWE will be running two December shows at Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium in New Delhi, India.

Tickets for the shows on December 8th and 9th are now on sale in India, priced from $26 U.S. to $535 U.S.

They will be Raw-brand house shows featuring Jinder Mahal. The names listed for the shows are Roman Reigns, Finn Balor, and Mahal as the top stars along with Braun Strowman, Alexa Bliss, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, The Miz, Sasha Banks, and Bayley.

It had been speculated that WWE would be touring the country sometime before the end of the year. WWE has had its eye on the Indian market for much of 2017, producing a new weekly program in Hindi exclusive to the country as well as putting the WWE title on Mahal, who has been champion since May.

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-officially-set-tour-india-december-243816

The title doesn't make Jinder feel bigger, Jinder makes the title feel smaller. My interest in WWE is really low right now lowest it's been since the Network started up. Jinder and Lesnar as champs is a part of that as is Roman (whom I have nothing against as an in-ring talent but he's obviously plateaued without large scale change but WWE refuses that fact). It doesn't help that I can go months with out watching TV and catching pieces of PPV's and not feel like I've missed anything at all.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Paige Biopic v Vince Biopic.

2 families with crazy characters, that alone reduces the chances of either being a good film by 50%, add in the fact they are wrestling based reduces that chance to 33 and a third percent.  Then when you factor the standard of actors and budgets and likely rewrites that takes it down to 0.01% chance of either being a good movie.

that said, I would kill for a Scott Steiner, the Big Poppa Pump years Biopic.

Tom Hardy can play Steiner.

I was reading that in Scott Steiner's maniac voice until you actually mentioned him. I was hoping it was going to end up with a 200% chance of being  a good movie because of Scott Steiner mathematics.

• Haha 2

The booking is stagnant right now more stagnant then it has been. Strowman should have went over just to show that anything is possible and expect the unexpected. Strowman is green yes but his run didn't have to be a long run but he should have beaten Lesnar just to give someone some credibility cuz they've booked everyone as incapable of beating Lesnar and everyone who has went up against him besides Goldberg has looked like a putz. Also I kinda understand Roman beating Brock on Bricks way out but why does Brock need to be Champ? Why can't Roman be Champ? I mean I think Braun going over Brock, loosing the title to Roman at either Survivor Series or Royal Rumble and then Start building Brock vs Roman.

As for Jinder. I don't know what the fuck. He isn't the best worker but that isn't necessary to bring a Champ. But Jinder doesn't seem to be able to be led to a decent match with anyone. Him vs Nakamura at SummerSlam is exhibit A. Him and Orton had the same match 3 times in a row. The Singh Brothers bumping like cartoon characters can only carrying him so much. I use to think Jinder had the tools to be a good heel Champ but I don't think so. And the fucked thing is that he's probably going to be Champ until Night of Champions in December after that India Tour.

13 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

The booking is stagnant right now more stagnant then it has been. Strowman should have went over just to show that anything is possible and expect the unexpected. Strowman is green yes but his run didn't have to be a long run but he should have beaten Lesnar just to give someone some credibility cuz they've booked everyone as incapable of beating Lesnar and everyone who has went up against him besides Goldberg has looked like a putz. Also I kinda understand Roman beating Brock on Bricks way out but why does Brock need to be Champ? Why can't Roman be Champ? I mean I think Braun going over Brock, loosing the title to Roman at either Survivor Series or Royal Rumble and then Start building Brock vs Roman.

At this point, there is nothing they are planning to do with Brock as champion that they can't do better with Strowman.

21 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Has Smackdown house show attendance gone down or is it just anecdotal?

From the looks of it, SDL numbers are legitimately bad. There has been exaggeration on this, with photos taken two hours before a show as an indicator. Still, accurate pictures suggest the Blue Brand isn't pulling in large or sometimes even average crowds.

RAW's numbers aren't incredible, but seem stable.  I've enjoyed RAW post WM.  Most folks love shitting on it and anyone who remotely compliments it, but whatever. Even the worst shows have merely been mediocre.

SDL, though? Outside of The Usos/New Day, it's been rough. They took the women's title off a super-over Naomi and put it on an ice-cold Natalya. They botched the women's MITB situation and all for Carmella to hold it when she can't keep heat even with James Ellsworth on the leash. Becky has all but disappeared from TV. I have no clue what they're doing with Lana and Tamina.

So many cried for Sami Zayn to go to SDL, but he'd been better off staying on RAW. At least he got used regularly on Mondays instead of being the punchline for "You can't get out of catering" jokes. Luke Harper and Erick Rowan are MIA. Styles having the US Title means nothing. They may as well fire Corbin, I can't imagine he's in their good graces since learning he's part of the NFL concussion lawsuit. Tye Dillinger is the only hot entity in the midcard. Who saw that coming?

KO seems to be coming around, but he still bores me right now. Shane in the Cell again isn't an appealing option.

For all the talk about Mahal being bad (and a lot of that is true), Nakamura isn't setting the wrestling world on fire, either. Some of that is sketchy booking, to be fair. Still, I expected more and it's been barely so-so. 

I refuse to discuss Ziggler's BS today. They've screwed up Roode's intro and saddled him with this, poor man.

I've long thought moving Reigns to SDL during the Superstar Shakeup would have been good, as it would have aligned folks based on who they saw as his best competition. I'm not sure he could pull the show out of this spiral, but they need to do something. Right now, everyone on the show is either cold or been neutered.

• Like 1

The venue at the Saturday night show I went to (Taco Bell Arena on the BSU campus) had blocked off the upper two sections so only floor and one elevated section were open. With the said, there were still empty seats.

The not drawing in the smaller towns should concern them. A show in a place like Boise where they rarely go should be a big event in that town (doubly so given that it's on a college campus while the fall semester is underway). 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

They will be Raw-brand house shows featuring Jinder Mahal. The names listed for the shows are Roman Reigns, Finn Balor, and Mahal as the top stars along with Braun Strowman, Alexa Bliss, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, The Miz, Sasha Banks, and Bayley.

I wonder if they'll really triple-down on Jinder by having him beat Lesnar (or more likely Reigns) to 'unify' the titles and then have him lose the next night.   

2 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

KO seems to be coming around, but he still bores me right now. Shane in the Cell again isn't an appealing option.

I'm kind of hoping that after the Vince beat down, this match will cement KO as a ruthless killer and he can build from there. He lost some of his mystique during the JeriKO stuff even if it was entertaining so if he puts Shane down hard it'll help. My worst fear is that since Shane has lost to 'Taker and AJ that they'll put him over Owens to... I don't know, keep Shane strong? I could see them doing something that dumb.