[NXT] SEPTEMBER 27 2017 TV SHOW

RIPPA

Lars Sullivan defeated Oney Lorcan

Heavy Machinery defeated Patrick Scott & Demetrius Bronson

Liv Morgan defeated Vanessa Borne

Kassius Ohno defeated Fabian Aichner

Adam Cole defeated Eric Young

Also set up

NXT Takeover will have a Four way to determine new women's champ. Kairi Sane is in. Rest are determined by qualifiers over the next few weeks

Rudy Riot vs. Kay/Royce again (I think for next week)

Johnny Gargano vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas (in two weeks)

Drew McIntyre defends against Roderick Strong (next week)

Main was eh, I'm not really feeling the Cole/Fish/KOR stable and really Fish is the only one that has a main roster look right now, KOR especially looks generic like a dude out of the crowd.

KO/Aichner was a fun lil match and I'm intrigued by Burch saving Oney and hope they become a no-nonsense punch you in the face team.

Liv Morgan is still terrible, everything she does looks so awkward and unnatural.

Lorcan is gonna be the underdog face of NXT very soon, if he's not there already. 

Gotta say - if this Lars Sullivan monster push continues to go so well he'll be in prime shape to job to Brock Lesnar cleanly in five minutes next year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lars Sullivan rules. That match w/ Oney was awesome. I love the mini-NXT division of "big dudes who stiff the hell out of each other." Much appreciated. The KO match was also really fun. KO did a superman's job in making Fabian look great. 

Aleister's promo was what I was hoping to hear more of in his initial promo. Some weird mystical/metaphorical type of response to Dream's attempt at a headgame. A+

That main event sucked. I really don't like this stable at all. Cole's mannerisms in his promos are fine but this was a pretty bad MISSION STATEMENT promo. "How did this place exist without us?" into generic indie heel stuff. There really wasn't any attempt to heel on the crowd, either. The only reason I'm supposed to hate on these guys is because they jumped Drew and Sanity. There needs to be a better mission statement -- "You didn't want us here until it was convenient for you, now we're going to run this place" or along those lines. The best mission statement promo of all-time is Hogan joining the nWo. Bobby Roode's was a modern day classic -- here to take NXT to the next level, which requires you people to be replaced with executives and rich people.

The little I've seen from Adam Cole before NXT led me to believe he was an undersized and not particularly athletic guy who was pretty good on the mic and nothing special once the bell rang. Nothing on this show changed my mind. I think he has potential because in this day and age anyone who can talk and show some charisma stands out, but I see him as a prospect and not someone who's ready to come in and set the world on fire.

Oney has been the best tv match worker in WWE this year. Liv is still the least convincing wrestler I've seen. She moves around the ring like a baby giraffe. She makes for a good enhancement talent, but I can't see her above that. Not a huge fan of a guy like Aichner coming in with a bunch of high spots to wow the crowd while having a CAW #1 gimmick. I liked Alister Black better when he didn't talk. They've just about killed the aura he had his first few months by giving him nothing to work with character wise.

I skipped the previous 3 weeks on NXT, and don't really have much desire to catch up. This may be my low point of NXT fandom since I started watching weekly in the summer of 2014. Losing the two company aces after Brooklyn has really hurt because this time no one was built up enough to take their spots. I like Drew and Ember just fine, but they don't have the character work and charisma that Roode and Asuka have.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JCM said:

The little I've seen from Adam Cole before NXT led me to believe he was an undersized and not particularly athletic guy who was pretty good on the mic and nothing special once the bell rang. Nothing on this show changed my mind. I think he has potential because in this day and age anyone who can talk and show some charisma stands out, but I see him as a prospect and not someone who's ready to come in and set the world on fire.

I've seen a little more than a little of him--mostly while actively watching other people--and these are pretty much my thoughts exactly. Although, the funny thing is that all  his relative shortcomings make him a better fit in NXT than most of the guys they've brought right in as main eventers over the past few years, who were finished products--or very close. I still don't think Cole has a particularly high ceiling, but he's still only 28, and they must see something to develop in him. 

I think Cole needs to bulk up some at least put on 10-15 lbs. He's going to look like a runt in there with someone like Drew. I believe they will push his craftiness and cunning which is smart, but he still needs to add some weight to his frame. Maybe have him travel with Heavy Machinery for a while lol.

Lars is so awesome. That match with Oney was fun. When Oney started slapping him I was like "no, stop...you're just going to make him madder".

I also love Heavy Machinery. Dozer vs. Lars Sullivan is a match I want to see at some point. Just a whole match of them trying to knock each other down and it not happening.

The rumblings~! a few weeks ago had her moving to Smackdown Live. They may have cooled on the idea, but I get the feeling someone somewhere is into her...because it's difficult to see how she's got a contract otherwise. Maybe they'll move her to Raw to annoy Enzo...to be honest, if she's still *this terrible* after 3 years of training then they may as well put her on the road and see if she learns on the job.

Oney/Sullivan needs a longer match on a Takeover.

That elbow drop setup by Dozer was glorious. Aichner is freakin strong.

The timing on Cole's dodge of Wolfe was as close as you can get.

Does anyone here think Liv deserves the TV time? (Askin because I actually know someone who digs her, maybe it's just us peeps who don't see anything in her who is so vocal?)

Oney Lorcan was so great at just throwing his body at the golem that is Lars Sullivan. The crowd seemed psyched for Lorcan and for the Danny Burch save. I doubt they have I high ceiling, but I hope they keep getting opportunities to stiff dudes in NXT for a long time.

Good to see Aichner again and he got his stuff in pretty good with Ohno leading the way.

The fact they were considering moving Liv Morgan up says a lot about how badly they evaluate talent at times. She just pales in comparison to so many women on the roster and especially with the new talent coming in. She must have someone in her corner(besides horndog Nigel) because otherwise there is zero reason for her to still be under contract. 

Heavy Machinery are always fun, Dozer especially. Big hosses that can go will never not be entertaining. 

Yep that main was just sort of there. I don't hate the Undisputed Era, but they aren't setting the world on fire either. Those guys just don't come off as bad asses. Maybe if they had a big heater in the group. If Roddy does the turn I wouldn't really consider him right for that role either. Dijak maybe?

11 hours ago, turk128 said:

Does anyone here think Liv deserves the TV time? (Askin because I actually know someone who digs her, maybe it's just us peeps who don't see anything in her who is so vocal?)

IMO, the issue with Liv is they put her on TV too soon. They did so because NXT's women's division needed more onscreen talent at the time. Along with Aliyah, Liv was coming along decently so they got the call. But she wasn't ready. That's not her fault, but keeping her on TV exposed her to where many don't want to give Liv a chance now. What's being expressed here isn't exactly wrong but overly harsh, which is what many wrestling fans do when they deem someone unworthy.

The Enzo relationship may be playing a role in this, too.  Someone may think he was bad for her and want to see what she does with better influences. She and Tyler Bate are flirting up a storm, so we'll see where that goes.

Liv's not on the level of the women currently coming into NXT, but I don't think she's awful. Just everything is all over the place with no focus. She's 23, so of course they're going to keep her on contract. She's too young to cast off. They should have taken the Mandy Rose approach with her, work the house show circuit with little/no TV time.

A good course of action with Liv would be to pull her from NXT-TV, repackage her, and train extensively until she's called to the main roster after WM 34. That's my biggest issue with her, her gimmick is what?  Alexa Bliss' slightly younger sister cosplaying as Carmella? They could go with her being an Alexa fan who takes her devotion too far in dressing like Alexa, coloring her hair the same way, etc.  Not that I have confidence in WWE to get that story right, but the two resemble enough to make it viable.

She isn't making that much money and she's likely valuable in the right position. Keep her around and come up with a new gimmick. There are plenty more folks I'd release before Morgan.

• Like 1

Liv is kind of in the spot that Alexa Bliss was in when she first came in: young with potential but hasn't put it together yet. The problem is not everyone is Alexa Bliss.

And I agree, a women's tag title would be a great addition. Give the Iconic Duo run of the scene to start while you give newer women a chance to get established. And who knows what might come out of it? Some sort of female Revival? (I have no idea what that would look like but I like the idea)

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Liv is kind of in the spot that Alexa Bliss was in when she first came in: young with potential but hasn't put it together yet. The problem is not everyone is Alexa Bliss.

I just don't see the same potential in Liv that Bliss had. They both have similar problems with offense as babyfaces, but I just can't buy Liv inflicting damage on another human being. The few times(or was it one time) I saw Mandy Rose she showed way more potential than Liv.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, quackhell said:

Yep that main was just sort of there. I don't hate the Undisputed Era, but they aren't setting the world on fire either. Those guys just don't come off as bad asses. Maybe if they had a big heater in the group. If Roddy does the turn I wouldn't really consider him right for that role either. Dijak maybe?

They're not supposed to come off as badasses. They're oppotunists. They're not the biggest or the strongest, but they're smarter and know when the upper hand presents itself. People would be complaining if they were going to toe to toe with the likes of Sanity or the AoP because of their size. Of course, Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly can outwrestle their opponents, but they choose to take shortcuts because they can.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The Enzo relationship may be playing a role in this, too.  Someone may think he was bad for her and want to see what she does with better influences. She and Tyler Bate are flirting up a storm, so we'll see where that goes.

Oh wait, I did not know Enzo and Liv was a thing. I actually think Aliyah does whatever Liv does better than Liv; like you can occasional see spurts of good ring presence when Aliyah wrestles, Liv has yet to show that for me... then again she hasn't shit the bed but, like you said, there's so many better choices from the talent pool now.

3 hours ago, quackhell said:

Fair point, badasses was a poor choice of words. Cole has pretty much perfected the cocky heel persona so it should serve him well. Still think a bit of muscle wouldn't hurt.

Besides looking like a cosplay of HBK, Cole actually has the suave swagger of the post-DX HBK. He seems to be very comfortable on the mic too (I really don't know for sure since I barely know of him).

Cole's strengths are his mic work, physical charisma, ability to portray a chicken shit heel, and general timing on the mic and in the ring. I'm higher on him in ring than most others on the board but his style absolutely better meshes with WWE than PWG, as he won't be expected to do spotfests. 

Also, never forget him pulling off the best introduction of all time for a piece of shit heel. 

• Like 3