DVDVR Message Board

El Brazo, Brazo Del Oro y Brazo Del Plata vs. Hombre Bala, Pirata Morgan y El Verdugo (10/27/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

Really fun match.  Plata's unreasonable athleticism is on full show here and it's nuts.  Morgan and Oro work some cool fast paced segments throughout.  End of the second fall is really great, Brazos schtick at its best.  Ending is pretty nuts as like five dives jump off all in a row, which leaves Oro and Morgan alone in the ring to trade roll ups until Oro clinches it.

• 4 weeks later...

Early 90s Brazos matches are one of my favorite things in wrestling so I was excited to see more 80s footage of one of my favorite teams. Over the course of this set Los Bucaneros have become one of my favorite trios units so my hype level going into four straight Brazos vs Bucaneros matches is pretty much maxed out. This was a great trios match albeit not at the level of the top trios matches on this set (I'm sure I will still rank it way higher than it deserves). This is a high workrate trios match and that's an environment Los Bucaneros excel in. Everybody matches up really nicely though Morgan/Oro, Bala/Plata, and Bala/Oro were my favorite combinations. I marked out like crazy for Porky countering the monkey flip, not only because he is fat, but because it's one of the most graceful monkey flip counters I've ever seen. Porky countering the sunset flip will always be awesome. Now I'm really excited to see that Morgan vs Oro match.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, this is pretty workrate-y, and it drags in spots (especially at the start of tercera caida) but it's a very entertaining introduction to los Brazos. A young, spry Super Porky is just the best. His charisma is so natural -- no one expects him to do the things he does -- and he uses it to a tee. The spot with him falling on all three Bucaneros, covering them up for a pin during an elaborate three-man submission, the monkey flips... it's amazing. Not like anyone else here was a slouch either. The first dive was probably the best and craziest and sadly wasn't topped. There was also a part where two of the guys did I believe a monkey flip spot and then did it IN REVERSE. That said this is what it is, a technical spotfest that feels like it falls in the dead middle of the pack. I would have liked to see at least a little hate to build to the next matches between these guys. 

• 11 months later...

This was a fun match, definitely not one of the top end trios but still really enjoyable. I think young Super Porky may be my favorite wrestler ever. He just completely out classed his brothers to where I felt like I was barely paying attention unless Porky was in. Really dug the finish to the second fall and all those "did he really just do that" spots with Porky but this doesn't have much going for it outside of that.

Enjoyable is the word.  Brazo Del Plata stole the show.  Everything he did was delightful.  The elaborate six-man pinning/submission combinations were a lot of fun.  It was unusual to see a lengthy figure four segment between Morgan and Oro.  I definitely have this in my top half, although probably not in my top 30.