DVDVR Message Board

Greatest comic book films of all time.

The Natural

As you know I have an interest in comic books, comic book movies and comic book animations. Here are my 20 best superhero films of all time shown in cinemas.

20. Dredd (2012)

19. Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)

18. X-Men (2000)

17. Wonder Woman (2017)

16. Doctor Strange (2016)

15. Batman (1989)

14. Deadpool (2016)

13. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

12. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

11. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)

10. Iron Man (2008)

9. Logan (2017)

8. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

7. Captain America: Civil War (2016)

6. Captain America: The Winter Solider (2014)

5. X2 (2003)

4. Avengers Assemble (2012)

3. The Crow (1994)

2. Batman Begins (2005)

1. The Dark Knight (2008)

If we’re counting animation with a theatrical release, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) is #3 and moves the rest down.

Hoping this will be as popular as @J.T.’s Top Rated-R Comic Book Films Topic.

• Like 1

7. The Dark Knight

6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

5. Captain America: The First Avenger

4. Marvel's Avengers

3. Spider-Man 2

2. Logan

1. Ghost World

I did seven to avoid the "where is The Dark Knight" question

• Like 1

On 9/27/2017 at 4:49 PM, Ace said:

#8 will need quite a bit of it.

Yeah, I was quite generous to The Dark Knight Rises. The Dark Knight Rises has flaws compared to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. The story and I'm thinking to John Blake knowing Bruce Wayne is Batman as he shared the same look growing up, Commissioner Gordon the last to find out that identity and Bats leaving with Cats despite all she's done to him. I wasn't keen on the news Catwoman was to be in the film but she's the best thing from it. I should drop it.

On 9/27/2017 at 8:32 PM, tbarrie said:

That's a lot of Batman movies.

What do you expect? ; )

On 9/28/2017 at 3:59 AM, twiztor said:

there is a disturbing lack of GotG on this list.  ditto for Thor.

Guardians of the Galaxy is one of those acclaimed films you have the opposite opinion on. That's me when it comes to GotG. The Mum bits I hate coming so close from losing my Mum, I only like a handful of sci-fi things and the GotG series doesn't do it for me.  It's my least favourite franchise from the MCU. Thor is an underrated film but there's films I'd have ahead of it. Thor: The Dark World is poor and has few redeeming features.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

7. The Dark Knight

6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

5. Captain America: The First Avenger

4. Marvel's Avengers

3. Spider-Man 2

2. Logan

1. Ghost World

I did seven to avoid the "where is The Dark Knight" question

We'll agree to disagree on Ghost World and Spider-Man 2 but we've common ground with the rest. Nice to see Captain America: The First Avenger getting love. With you and Mike on it.

#1-5

The Dark Knight (2008) is brilliant as Batman battles the Joker with Harvey Dent in the middle. The themes it addresses such as how far do you go when it comes to dealing with trouble, the Joker testing Batman’s morals/Harvey Dent’s/Gotham City’s in adversity and hiding the truth for the greater good. The best scene is Batman and the Joker’s interrogation with the differences between them. Heath Ledger is superb as the Joker. I bought tickets for me and my Dad to see the first IMAX screening where I live and it was so worth it. We went back for a second time, the only film we’ve ever done that for. Fucking Academy Awards screwing The Dark Knight out of the nominations and wins for Best Picture and Best Director.

I’m a big fan of Batman Begins (2005) especially the first hour dealing with Bruce Wayne’s journey to becoming Batman as his parents are murdered in front of him, his training and how he acquires his suit/the Tumbler. For me, the best scene in the Dark Knight trilogy is the final one between Batman and a now Lieutenant Gordon. Both talking about how they can continue to restore Gotham City, the Joker card and Gordon saying “I never said thank you” for Batman to turn round “And you’ll never have to.” Perfect.

The Crow (1994) is a great and poignant film as it’s about someone who comes back from the dead, sadly Brandon Lee who plays this character died while filming this movie. The story, performances, how the film looks and the music all deserve praise.

Avengers Assemble (2012) is still my top Marvel Cinematic Universe film five years on. Amazing the film works so well bringing four separate franchises together as one collective whole, groundbreaking. You’ve the interactions between the characters, the humour and the action. The Hulk ragdolling Loki is probably the most I’ve ever laughed at the cinema.

X2 (2003) is the benchmark of Fox’s mutant films. I think back to X2’s opener with Nightcrawler, the Mansion siege as Wolverine protects the kids there. Bobby opening up to his parents, friends forming an uneasy alliance with foes as needs must and Wolverine against Lady Deathstrike with flashbacks to Weapon X.

On Sunday, October 01, 2017 at 12:37 AM, nate said:

Hellboy?

Wait, is it rated R?

No Reeve Superman or Superman II?

Interested in your omissions, almost as much as your inclusions.  A good list, all around.

Thank you. I like Hellboy a good deal but feel the sequel betters it helped by Hellboy/Abe's duet. 

I left Superman The Movie as I haven't seen it in a while though I was still tempted to include it. Looking back, I should. Christopher Reeve did a great job as Kal-El/Clark Kent/Superman. One of the best performances in this genre.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
15 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'll work on my list tonight.

I've been holding off due to my fear of starting fire with my

Reveal hidden contents

Watchmen 

Rating being so high, lol

Looking forward to your list. What size list will you do? I considered that film but missed out. 

3 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'll work on mine today, I was thinking possibly 10, but 15 is an easy possibility.

Cool. I find doing a top 10, 15 and 20 challenging as you've got to make difficult choices with a tighter limit. Had a go yesterday at my top twenty Mk II. There's new entries, some films knocked down the list and some no longer there.

This was a pain in the ass to fit into 10 and I'm sure I will be missing some and either edit retroactively or just make it a top 15,20

Top 10

1.)    Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2.)    The Dark Knight

3.)    Logan

4.)    Infinity War

5.)    Watchmen

6.)    X2

7.)    Blade

8.)    Deadpool

9.)    Batman Begins

10.)  History of Violence

Movies that I love(where others might) that would be in the next 5-10 are:  The Losers, Road to Perdition, Kick-Ass

I admittedly need to rewatch Reeve's superman and I'd nominate The Superman movie with Routh simply on the airplane scene alone.  That is still the most impressive thing I've seen Superman do on screen, personally.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

This was a pain in the ass to fit into 10 and I'm sure I will be missing some and either edit retroactively or just make it a top 15,20

Top 10

1.)    Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2.)    The Dark Knight

3.)    Logan

4.)    Infinity War

5.)    Watchmen

6.)    X2

7.)    Blade

8.)    Deadpool

9.)    Batman Begins

10.)  History of Violence

Movies that I love(where others might) that would be in the next 5-10 are:  The Losers, Road to Perdition, Kick-Ass

I admittedly need to rewatch Reeve's superman and I'd nominate The Superman movie with Routh simply on the airplane scene alone.  That is still the most impressive thing I've seen Superman do on screen, personally.

Thank you for this. I'll post my list when this goes through. We've similarities and differences as you'll see.

3 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

My post above makes me ponder if anyone would be interested in a thread of our favorite scenes in comic book flicks, like awe-inspiring?  The airplane scene in Superman Returns, the bank robbery in Dark Knight, the fight on Titan for example.

Good idea!