DVDVR Message Board

Happy Rusev Day!!! - SDL - 9/26/2017

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Big E consumes popcorn like Steve Austin consumes beer. 

I could use a gif of that everytime there's an entertaining series of posts on here (good, bad, entertaining all the same)

EDIT:  Oh, bless you, Xavier and TDE Wrestling:

Double EDIT:  Can't copy/paste tweets, unsure why.  But link's in spoiler box.

13 hours ago, Brysynner said:

Wasn't he the heel when he sided with Summer Rae and was feuding with Dolph and Lana?

You mean the feud where Lana and Dolph tried to humiliate Rusev by cucking him at every turn and where Dolph threatened to beat up a man on crutches? He also introduced the world to Dog Ziggler, so I think not.

• Like 1

I still resent the notion that he was a face in the feud with Roman. Mostly because I consider the feud as beginning when Rusev ran down America and then chickened out when Roman attempted to accept the challenge. Rusev backed down. So Roman crashing Rusev and Lana's wedding celebration thing was a direct response to that foolery. He was goading Rusev into a match because Rusv had already proven himself too much of a coward to accept a straight-up challenge. Things escalated from there.

Of course nobody remembers that first week. For most people, the feud started with the wedding cake. But that's not that happened on TV.

3 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

You mean the feud where Lana and Dolph tried to humiliate Rusev by cucking him at every turn and where Dolph threatened to beat up a man on crutches? He also introduced the world to Dog Ziggler, so I think not.

The story started with Rusev verbally abusing Lana because he was upset over losing the US title to Cena. Basically told her to take her ass to the kitchen and mop the floor. Essentially blaming her for his losses, because she stepped to quit for him in his last match with Cena.

Dolph swooped in on an emotionally tender Lana. It gets overlooked because Summer Rae did her best to save the story. And even with that, Rusev had Summer dressing exactly like Lana with the miniskirt suits and hair in a bun. 

Good night, was that a weird story from start to finish.

But you're not wrong about the general cucking of Rusev. At one point, Lana says that she never went 'all the way' with Dolph. Ryback comes out and calls her a liar, that Dolph told the locker room about their sexual adventures.  They also had Rusev put Lana's honor on the line against Roman in the match they had prior to SummerSlam 2016, which Roman won.  Not that Reigns cashed in on it, thankfully.  Had this been the Attitude Era, Roman would have been  tonguing Lana down in the ring as Rusev collapsed on the ramp and cried for 10 minutes straight.

It's weird in that Rusev honestly starts off as a pig-headed heel in his feuds, but winds up super sympathetic at the end.  Mostly because fans feel that the real life guy is getting the short end from WWE for having the nerve of wooing and marrying Lana. Based on being in several emasculating situations-don't forget Rock telling Lana how he enjoyed twisting her into a human pretzel as Rusev stood behind them listening-they may not be wrong in that assessment.

It really speaks to how badly some talent gets treated for the most asinine reasons.

To answer @Curt McGirt: new Fashion Files next week!

• Like 1

Has Rusev ever been booked as a babyface?  I mean, he's not even supposed to be the babyface here  He's celebrating a fake achievement where he ran in after a match, caught Orton off guard, and rolled him up.  People just want him to be a babyface cause he's likable on social media and trendy to bag on Orton.  Same with Braun.  You may think he's a babyface, but the company has never booked him like one (aside from maybe coming out to beat up the little guy who had just turned heel.  But I chalk that up to the company simply wanting big guys to crush Enzo till he quits and not caring if the big guy is heel or face.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hopefully, Carmella takes Ellsworth's submission further each week. Next week, he's in a full gimp suit. The following week Carmella leaves him in a dog cage at ringside. When he's not masked, she's putting cigars out on his tongue.

This nauseates me strangely. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Has Rusev ever been booked as a babyface?  I mean, he's not even supposed to be the babyface here  He's celebrating a fake achievement where he ran in after a match, caught Orton off guard, and rolled him up.  People just want him to be a babyface cause he's likable on social media and trendy to bag on Orton.  Same with Braun.  You may think he's a babyface, but the company has never booked him like one (aside from maybe coming out to beat up the little guy who had just turned heel.  But I chalk that up to the company simply wanting big guys to crush Enzo till he quits and not caring if the big guy is heel or face.

There was that one US title challenge match against John Cena, where an exhausted Rusev had just defeated Cesaro and Kevin Owens in a triple threat match and Cena on commentary was strangely acting like a heel ready to capitalize on a weakened face.

Cena dominates the match but somehow, Rusev valiantly fights back and locks on the Accolade and the crowd actually is going nuts for Rusev...until Owens runs in and causes the DQ. But Rusev came off totally as a underdog babyface that was about to defy the odds in that segment.

At that point, it wouldn't have seemed strange if Rusev came out the next week acting like a face.

• Like 1

Ziggler debuted in 2008.

Almost a decade and the best we got was when he had Big E and AJ in his corner, when hhe got to beat The Authority (which anyone could have done AND was immediately voided) and a great series with Miz, who was in career best form in the ring and on the mic and who has gone on with that form on Raw.

Time to give it up Dolph. If you really want to wrestle go do some work in ROH or New Japan and freshen up. Stay away for 3 years at least and come back with something, anything, fucking different to "The Showoff" Im begging ya!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Time to give it up Dolph. If you really want to wrestle go do some work in ROH or New Japan and freshen up. Stay away for 3 years at least and come back with something, anything, fucking different to "The Showoff" Im begging ya!

God, I don't want Juice Robinson dragged down by being forced to teach Dolph Ziggler how to work.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

There was that one US title challenge match against John Cena, where an exhausted Rusev had just defeated Cesaro and Kevin Owens in a triple threat match and Cena on commentary was strangely acting like a heel ready to capitalize on a weakened face.

Cena dominates the match but somehow, Rusev valiantly fights back and locks on the Accolade and the crowd actually is going nuts for Rusev...until Owens runs in and causes the DQ. But Rusev came off totally as a underdog babyface that was about to defy the odds in that segment.

At that point, it wouldn't have seemed strange if Rusev came out the next week acting like a face.

This always struck me as a huge missed opportunity. It almost seemed like them testing the waters for a face Rusev as Cena was totally heeling up and Rusev looked like such a badass fighting back through all that. I still don't think it would be hard to pull off really. The smarks already love the guy and he is talented and has enough personality to pull off a turn given the right opponent. Also just put him and Lana back together already. 

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Forget ROH or NJPW, Ziggler needs to be demoted to CZW so he can fall through glass and into barbed wire for our amusement. It's the only way he can be amusing at this point.

I really want to see Masada vs. Nick Nemeth on DJ Hyde's family farm.