DVDVR Message Board

Blade Runner

Dolfan in NYC

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

The scope felt a little too big for that to me.

Yeah, that's probably what killed the noir feeling for me.  Alas, every movie over a certain budget must be have the world in the balance.  The original was just about a broken sadsack just trying to do a job, and if the Nexus 6's didn't get retired, they wouldn't have taken over the planet or anything.  That's one of the real tragedies of the original.  Deckard is just imposing rules created by powerful people and his job means nothing.  The replicants he retires are all working menial jobs, not threatening the status quo, and would be dead soon anyway.  Only Batty has a misguided mission to get more life, and that's destined to fail anyway.  This film really lost the plot of how pointless a Blade Runner's job is.

They could have taken the "OMG this human robot baby could destroy the world as we know it!" plot out of the film and it would have been perfectly nior and just fine.  A big corporation who wants  to own a sentient being, the only one of its kind, for its own selfish ends -- so he can make more replicants -- is plot enough without tacking on a poorly-done, apocalyptic subplot.  Just leave it up to the viewer to figure out Replicant Babby's part in the big picture.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Forgot to mention that Blade Runner 2049 is now on rotation on HBO and is also available on HBO GO.

If you have any of these channels or services, WATCH THIS MOVIE TODAY~!!!

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

But what if I didn't really care about the first one?

(yes, I know that's almost grounds for revokation of my nerd card.

I'm sorry but I am going to have to ask you to turn in your nerd card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I was gonna pick it up cheap on DVD (because I'm one of those weird people who still buys them) but instead I'm waiting for someone to make a fan edit that cuts down the run time a bit and nixes some of the more pointless plot points before I rewatch it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Apparently the Black Out 2022 animated short has led to bigger things.

Crunchyroll and Adult Swim are partnering with Alcon Television Group to produce and distribute “Blade Runner — Black Lotus,” an anime series inspired by Blade Runner 2049, the Oscar-winning 2017 sequel to Ridley Scott’s 1982 classic.

Adult Swim will have the worldwide rights — excluding Asia — to distribute the 13-episode series, which will air on the network’s anime programming block Toonami. Crunchyroll, an anime-centric streaming service, will handle worldwide distribution for its community of more than 45 million registered users and 2 million paying subscribers.

Produced by animation studio Sola Digital and directed by Shinji Aramaki (“Appleseed”) and Kenji Kamiyama (“Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex”), each episode will run for 30-minutes.

As of now, Crunchyroll and its partners are keeping the plot line of the series under wraps, but producers have confirmed the story will take place in 2032 and will include a few familiar faces from the dystopian Blade Runner universe.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First two installments of Black Lotus are a weird mix of deliberate anime tropes designed to lure in the Japanese audience (girl android armed with a sword, stop me if this sounds familiar) and some paid lip service to the original film to get Americans invested in the show. 

The story takes place in 2035 so this is before the events of the sequel.

I was kinda down on the show at first but then they had a little homage to the first movie,

Spoiler

Elle kills Senator Bannister in the Roy Batty style by crushing his skull in both of her hands as she shoves her thumbs into his eyes!

and they earned at least another watch from me this coming Saturday.

Edited by J.T.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Saw a story today that Debbie Harry turned down the chance to play Pris in Blade Runner.

Well, it wasn't an entirely horrible decision given that Blade Runner flopped hard when it was released.  John Carpenter's The Thing also suffered at the box office during that time. 

Summer of 82 had a murderer's row of blockbusters including Conan the Barbarian, Star Trek:  Wrath of Khan, and ET the Extra Terrestrial.

Ironic how Blade Runner and The Thing went from being studio embarrassments to a couple of the most culturally significant cult classics ever made.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Speaking about the regrets of her short career on the big screen, she explains: “’My biggest regret of all is turning down the role of the blonde robot Pris in Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner. The part eventually went to Daryl Hannah. My record company didn’t want me to take time out to do a movie. I shouldn’t have listened to them”. 

Her version. 

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

Ironic how Blade Runner and The Thing went from being studio embarrassments to a couple of the most culturally significant cult classics ever made.

And if they were released today, they would’ve been pulled for a tax write-off and never seen again.

• Sad 1