DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/12/18

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yanks are gonna go ahead and interview Carlos Beltran for the manager gig

Are they that desperate for names? Nothing against Beltran, but I wouldn't think a just retired guy would be a great fit for the Yankees; just the media pressure alone would make it extremely hard to suceed for a rookie manager. I would think anyone would need a few years as an assistant(bench coach or otherwise) to suceed at the MLB level, let alone the Yankees. . .

• Like 1

I know people like Alex Rodriguez were already talking up the idea of Beltran becoming a manager after the World Series, but it is realistic for a former player, even a 20-year veteran, to become a manager right after he retires?  As Kuestar stated, wouldn't he need time doing to get some experience doing other coaching work before he assumed a managerial role?

The newer trend in baseball in regards to managers is that teams need guys who are good at managing the clubhouse.. ie: the relationships, etc... (and this is also where it ties into the Yankees)

A lot of the in-game stuff the players can take care of (obviously outside setting a lineup and pitching changes type things) - it is more handling relationships (whether it be the players or media or the front office and players, etc...) This is why basically Girardi was gonna be gone no matter what. He wasn't exactly the most friendly of persons. While the players didn't really mind (because they were winning) he had fractured his relationship with ownership, etc..

Is one way or the other right? Who knows since it clearly depends team by team.

I highly doubt Beltran is getting the job. It is probably partly because Beltran and Cashman have a really good relationship and he figures he might want to see what he has to say. He also could be a two-fold interview (Where Beltran ends up with a different position in the organization, etc...)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The newer trend in baseball in regards to managers is that teams need guys who are good at managing the clubhouse.. ie: the relationships, etc... (and this is also where it ties into the Yankees)

A lot of the in-game stuff the players can take care of (obviously outside setting a lineup and pitching changes type things) - it is more handling relationships (whether it be the players or media or the front office and players, etc...) This is why basically Girardi was gonna be gone no matter what. He wasn't exactly the most friendly of persons. While the players didn't really mind (because they were winning) he had fractured his relationship with ownership, etc..

Is one way or the other right? Who knows since it clearly depends team by team.

I highly doubt Beltran is getting the job. It is probably partly because Beltran and Cashman have a really good relationship and he figures he might want to see what he has to say. He also could be a two-fold interview (Where Beltran ends up with a different position in the organization, etc...)

I would say that the smart money would be on Beltran coming in as hitting coach or bench coach and taking over from some old, old guy who gets along well with everyone in a couple of years. Hmmm.... Who could that possibly be?

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I could see making Beltran the bench coach/heir apparent and naming someone with MLB experience as skipper for a year or two while Beltran learns on the job.

Yep, makes perfect sense and would certainly be affordable (not that the Yankees worry about money). 

I mean you should have accept already that he is getting traded (and its not guarantee it will be to the Giants)

Now - if is ends up being a straight salary dump THEN the dozens of Marlins fans should light the stadium on fire

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Brian Cashman said this morning that the Yanks aren't going to interview anymore candidates

Want to bet it's Beltran with an experienced bench coach in tow?

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I mean you should have accept already that he is getting traded (and its not guarantee it will be to the Giants)

Now - if is ends up being a straight salary dump THEN the dozens of Marlins fans should light the stadium on fire

It pretty much is a salary dump.   The supposed proposal is Stanton for Joe Panik, Tyler Beede, and Chris Shaw, with SF taking all of the salary remaining in the deal ($295M).

The hang up is Stanton wants to go to LA (his hometown). But the Dodgers are refusing to accept Miami's demand that any trade partner take on at least $250M of the deal.  

GS has a full no-trade, so he can torpedo the deal until he gets sent to LA. So, we'll see.   

I am also, significantly less mad than I was yesterday.   (I'm hovering somewhere between bargaining and acceptance for those keeping track.)

Oh I know about the proposed San Fran deal and that is what I was referring to when I said "salary dump"

I think you CAN get a better deal somewhere where Stanton would still accept that involves more players.

But it does seem the Marlins are just all in on "please take this extension that we don't want to pay anymore"

As a Dodger fan, I'm not real keen on the idea of Stanton to LAD. It would be great to have that kind of production in the lineup every day, but at what cost? And I mean both monetarily and at the expense of disrupting what appears to be a pretty harmonious clubhouse. LAD looks to be making real strides towards getting under the luxury tax, and this would very obviously fuck that up.

I'm a pretty big fan of what Puig has become in that lineup, and I would hate to have the team yank the rug out from underneath him after the season he had this year. Granted, Stanton in LA could mean that Puig moves over instead of playing RF, but at this point, who is the expendable piece? Joc? As much as I love the kid, he is probably the best bet at going away, or Andrew Toles, which would break my heart but he would be the logical choice.

I don't quite follow why SFG seems to be in so hard on Stanton other than keeping him away from LAD. I mean, of course, he's awesome and would be a huge upgrade for them in their hunt to replace the desiccated corpses that currently reside in their OF. But they need a bullpen overhaul and at least one SP plus an OF bat. They might be better served pulling the plug on Denard Span and trying to get McCutchen. That still leaves them with Pence and whatever Jarrett Parker is going to be, but that might be a better approach than being on the hook for all that money.

Taking on $295MM probably fucks them for a good long time in regard to the luxury tax, and their farm system is already dogshit, but should improve a little because of their draft position this year. SFG with Stanton just turns them into MIA, so they go from worse than SD to better than SD, but still a team that is likely 4th in the West.

However it ends up, it will be interesting. Dumping the lone superstar on a team seems like some Jeff Loria shit, but maybe it will pay off in the long run for Jeter.

If only there was a team in a major market like, say, New York that is a complete afterthought punchline that would instantly become relevant again by adding Stanton (and without giving up very much). Fuck the Wilponzis.

It appears that LAA's first priority is to try and get Ohtani. That is why they acquired more intentional money in the Jim Johnson trade a couple of days ago.

It is a far cheaper option than taking on Stanton's salary