DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/12/18

RIPPA

So this has to be one of the slowest offseasons ever. There's something like 135 FAs who haven't been signed. 4 a day from now until spring training would need to be signed, which obviously isn't going to happen.

I wonder if this is more teams telling FAs that the time for handing out stupid contracts to 2nd and 3rd tier players is over, or if it's just a coincidence.

Well when you have the two biggest spenders actively slashing payroll to get under the luxury tax in lieu of next year's ridiculous FA class that doesn't help.

One of the other more popular theories (that isn't tied to the Yanks and Dodgers are evil because they won't spend their money) is every team have more advanced analytics staffs so pretty much everyone has the same "opinion" on someone and what their worth is. There really aren't market inequalities anymore. Agents still think they can "trick" a team into WAY overpaying for someone and it's not happening.

Other reasons

- the QO still slows down the top top guys signing

- Scott Boras

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I heard someone say it's also the players being more selective/picky, so it's both sides.

This goes to the Scott Boras point

For example - the Red Sox have all but admitted that their offseason plans are on hold until JD Martinez makes up his mind

Boras still believes he can get Martinez 7 years, $200 million+. Also, apparently the story that came out yesterday is that Martinez will agree to DH full time but you have to pay him more to do it.

I am honestly a little surprised the Sox haven't told him to go fuck himself and just move on

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It appears that Justin Morneau has retired as he is joining the Twins as a special assistant 

Heck of a player before he got hurt. Won a batting title after but was not the same guy. Good for him going back to the Twins. 

• Like 1

Everything mentioned makes sense. It's just been such a slow offseason. The Cubs are tied for the most moves...at 4. As for the Cubs, I'm not sure what I want them to do. If I had to choose between Jake and Darvish, I'd go with Jake. I might actually want Alex Cobb over both. The Cubs have to sign one of these guys because they have holes to fill. And I don't want the situation is for other teams, but I'd imagine the Cubs aren't alone in having an incomplete starting rotation.

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and Starlin Castro has already told the Marlins he wants to be traded

Nope.  You're not getting me today.  I'm still too happy it's Rusev Day. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and Starlin Castro has already told the Marlins he wants to be traded

Come on Sandy, do something useful! Who am I kidding, that would mean the Mets are a credible major league team. They'll go get some retread who they can pay in Subway gift cards.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Morosi said today on radio no one has signed this season for longer than a 3 year contract.

He clearly used some qualifiers because Justin Upton's new deal is 5 years

And Ohtani was forced to sign a 2 year minor league deal due to MLB's comically stupid rules