Luxury Tax Penalties

Dodgers - $36.2 million

Yankees - $15.7 million

Giants - $4.1 million

Tigers - $3.7 million

Nationals - $1.45 million

It is the first time the Nationals are paying the tax

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I love @Dolfan in NYC but if I had to deal with Marlins Man I would gut the team too

I think that fan town hall with Jeter would have been only a bigger fiasco if that ballhawk douche had shown up to bitch

Fuck anyone who hates on Marlins Man. My friends who are in the "going to baseball games is the entire purpose of our lives" crew know him and say he's a good guy. Their word is enough for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Eh, somebody took Span at least. 

My first thought was that they have to be so thrilled that Span was included. Sort of throws all the "Arroyo is the future of this team" talk out the window, though. Although with Longo coming in, would he have been converted to a LF? Were they just not that impressed by the 6 weeks he had in Bigs? I liked what I little I saw of him, and the struggles at the plate were likely to get worked out, I mean the kid hit damn near .400 in the month he was here with the River Cats, and has hit pretty consistently across all levels so far.

Who was behind Longoria in Tampa? Does Arroyo now slot in as their Opening Day 3B?

I feel like "Arroyo is the future of this team!" was more an attempt to deny it was the Rebuild Audition that it was, since that was early in the season when the narrative was "off to a slow start/injuries" rather then "oh hey this team is actually just pretty bad this year and might be OLD". 

He was not especially impressive.  Then again it wouldn't be the first time they gave up on a kid too early (see Duvall and all the homers he's mashing in Cincinnati)

I can certainly understand that, and when your 3B options are a basically unknown commodity or Pablo Sandoval, maybe i's not an awful idea to bring in a dude like Longoria and hope his offensive downturn this year was an outlier and not the new norm. Otherwise, it's a $75MM mistake that a team like SFG probably can't afford to make.

I don't know that going to a park like PacBell is going to provide him much of a shot to turn the power numbers around, it's better for pitchers than the Trop is! Maybe all the weird angles help a little, since he is dead pull on the ground but seems to put the ball in play to all fields in the air.

No matter what, I am stoked I get to see him play more, I have always liked him. I mean, I have to hate him now, but I can at least watch him in person more often.

10:04pm: The Associated Press reports that the Rays will pay $14.5MM to the Giants and are responsible to the $13MM that is yet owed to Span. Specifically, the Rays will pay $2MM to the Giants by the end of 2017 to cover Longoria’s $2MM trade bonus, and they’ll also pay another $3MM by Oct. 31, 2022. The remaining $9.5MM, per the AP report, will be deferred in payments from 2025-29.

In essence, then, the Giants are adding $60.5MM to their long-term ledger in order to acquire the final five years of Longoria’s contract. Moreover, it doesn’t appear that San Francisco will take much of a hit at all in terms of the luxury tax. So, when paired with the shedding of Matt Moore’s contract, the move should afford the team ample opportunity to add at least one outfielder on a multi-year deal while remaining comfortably south of the $197MM luxury tax threshold.

The Rockies have agreed to a contract with free-agent closer Wade Davis, reports Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. It’s a three-year, $52MM contract for Davis that includes a vesting option for a fourth season which could take the deal’s value to $66MM over four years. That contract’s $17.33MM annual value is a record among relievers, Passan notes. FanRag’s Jon Heyman tweets that Davis’s deal includes a $1MM assignment bonus if he is traded, adding that he’ll also pick up full no-trade rights after being traded once.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/rockies-sign-wade-davis.html

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In honor of the As 50th year in Oakland - they are going free admission for their April 17 game against the White Sox

Free tickets will be available Jan. 10 at athletics.com/50.

Here's hoping they leave the tarps off after pulling them last year and fill that motherfucker up. Fuck Mount Davis.

• Like 3

The Dodgers will get Royals reliever Scott Alexander and White Sox minor league infielder Jake Peter, the Royals will receive Dodgers prospect Trevor Oaks and minor league infielder Erick Mejia, and the White Sox will receive Dodgers reliever Luis Avilan, Royals reliever Joakim Soria, and $3 million ($2 million from the Dodgers, $1 million from the Royals). The trade has been announced by all three teams. 

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/01/04/dodgers-royals-white-sox-make-a-three-team-trade/

I have no problem seeing Mccutchen involved in trades at this point.  While he is easily the best player that Pirates have ever had since the days of Bonds and Bonilla, unfortunately the playoff wall is hitting them in the face and they at best a wild card team.  So go get that World Series shot

That being said why the fuck would you consider the Mets.   I mean yeah they are better off than the Pirates but barely.   Are they really one or two players away?  Not given how much of a mess they are.