DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/12/18

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

We already have Stanton and a new unknown quanity manager, what more do you want? (besides more pitching and now a 2B.)

I meant if the Yankees didn't get Stanton, I'd want Yelich or Ozuna. What more do I want? CC Sabathia for one more year or Alex Cobb, who puts up very good numbers against the rest of the AL East.

LAA GM Billy Eppler said at the press conference to introduce Ohtani that he doesn't anticipate Ohtani playing OF during the 2018 season

It does appear that he will DH from time to time

I think Ozuna and Yelich will still end up in NY anyway, even if they don't need them. We'll trade you Ryan Braun for both if you want and then you can waive him.

HA! The Orioles were one of the three teams who didn't both to pursue Ohtani

Why? You ask

Because - according to GM Dan Duquette “because philosophically we don’t participate on the posting part of it.” 

So basically "We don't like signing Japanese players" and "Pete Angelos is too cheap to pay a posting fee"

Never change Os

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

HA! The Orioles were one of the three teams who didn't both to pursue Ohtani

Why? You ask

Because - according to GM Dan Duquette “because philosophically we don’t participate on the posting part of it.” 

So basically "We don't like signing Japanese players" and "Pete Angelos is too cheap to pay a posting fee"

Never change Os

At least he didn’t say “our fans don’t like him,” like with Bautista. 

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Yanks new bench coach is.... Josh Bard?!?!?!?

Umm.... okay????

It's going to be amazing how two guys that have never done the job now have the highest profile job in MLB with a roster so talent loaded and were a game away from the World Series end up tanking the entire orginization completly.

Bard does have experience, having been the Dodgers bullpen coach for two years and another three years as a scout and assistant in the Dodgers front office. If the Yankees are able to unload Ellsbury by eating half his contract, I'll feel even better about how this offseason has gone. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Yanks new bench coach is.... Josh Bard?!?!?!?

Umm.... okay????

Bard has been raved about as a bullpen coach for the last couple years and a few years before that in scouting in the LAD FO. I think that's a real good hire.

EDIT - I'm going off what the pitching staff has said about him in his work in the bullpen, and Freidman and Zaidi were both pretty complimentary about him being a guy that understands both the analytical side and the actual playing of the game.

Edited by grilledcheese