DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/12/18

RIPPA

Why did baseball allow someone to buy a team whose first move was to cut payroll down to nothing because they can't afford it? I guess the same reason the Wilponzis are on the finance committee.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Why did baseball allow someone to buy a team whose first move was to cut payroll down to nothing because they can't afford it? I guess the same reason the Wilponzis are on the finance committee.

Yep.

Because baseball is truly the American pastime and robber baron capitalists have all always played for the same team.

15 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Yep.

Because baseball is truly the American pastime and robber baron capitalists have all always played for the same team.

They are not capitalists, they are crapitalists. They want to privatize profits and socialize the losses. In capitalism you assume both the risk and reward. Also the whole thing kinda misses the point: they allowed a group to buy a team who literally couldn't pay the team's existing wages which is crazy.

I genuinely feel terrible for @Dolfan in NYC and any Marlins fans left. This should pretty much kill off baseball in South Florida, they may as well contract the team and use the stadium as housing for the homeless. Seriously this is absolutely disgraceful, it's like the Wilponzis x 10,000.

41 minutes ago, sabremike said:

They are not capitalists, they are crapitalists. They want to privatize profits and socialize the losses. In capitalism you assume both the risk and reward. Also the whole thing kinda misses the point: they allowed a group to buy a team who literally couldn't pay the team's existing wages which is crazy.

Crazy like a fox.

Let enough "impoverished" ownership groups who can't afford the big contracts into the league and suddenly those big money contracts start to disappear, and the average major league salary begins to shrink.

The Salary Cap will be unofficial, but it will be there.

Here appears to be the deal

Yanks receive

Giancarlo Stanton

$30 million IF Stanton does not opt out of his deal after 2020

Marlins receive

Starlin Castro

RHP Jose Guzman

SS Jose Devers

Guzman was just ranked as the Yanks 7th best prospect by BA earlier this week

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yelich doesn't have to worry. He won't be a Marlin much longer. St. Louis and San Francisco would be a good fit for Yelich or Marcel Ozuna.

Considering Yelich seems to hit about .500 against the Giants I am more than fine with this.

Just now, BobbyWhioux said:

Considering Yelich seems to hit about .500 against the Giants I am more than fine with this.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Yelich or Ozuna. I know, at times, I've said I'd want either/or on the Yankees.

11 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

We already have Stanton and a new unknown quanity manager, what more do you want? (besides more pitching and now a 2B.)

I believe the plan is Gleyber Torres to 2B so I would like to believe that their top prospect (and the 3rd in baseball overall) alleviates the need for one

On 12/8/2017 at 11:52 AM, Craig H said:

The Angels still won't be better than a Wild Card team, if that.

81 nights of fun baseball in good weather is really as we need.  Anything more is just gravy.  

also ...

latest?cb=20130630214735

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If you believe the NY Post - they say the Mets are trying to get Castro from the Marlins

He's getting paid more than the league minimum right? Of course they are getting rid of him, I wouldn't mind him moving about 6 miles southeast.