DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/12/18

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You’d think potential Stanton money would be needed to try and keep Trout. 

Maybe if they got Jeter to take Pujols and his salary in exchange. :)

To be fair - Trout is locked up through 2020

But yeah - Pujols' horrific deal goes through 2021!

To further clarify - Madden thinks it is between Boone and Bam Bam and that Beltran will take another position in the organization

God I hope it's Bam Bam

The Boone family scares me

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To further clarify - Madden thinks it is between Boone and Bam Bam and that Beltran will take another position in the organization

God I hope it's Bam Bam

The Boone family scares me

It sounds like the Giants front office pushed Bam Bam to the moon with Cashman. I'd love it if he got the job.

Lots of folks were raving about the job that Meulens did with the Dutch teams in the WBC as a coach and then managing in the last couple of tourneys. I remember hearing that he would likely get himself a managerial job in the near future. I know he has been pretty well regarded by most everyone around here until the SFG bats fell apart in 16, then some of the Bay area media started to call for his head, but fuck them anyway.

Definitely looks like the decision will be soon and that the Daily News report is correct as reports are out that both Thomson and Beltran have been told they aren't getting the gig

Edit - and it looks like Thomson will be the Phillies bench coach

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Ooof...

Looks like the choice is Aaron Boone

Well guess it gets him out of the booth at least

Interesting choice. We'll see how things play out from here. Michael Kay is being interviewed about it on MLB Network now.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ooof...

Looks like the choice is Aaron Boone

Well guess it gets him out of the booth at least

Hahahaha, as a Yankee hater, I think this is a wonderful selection, the only thing that could be worse would have been his brother.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Lots of folks were raving about the job that Meulens did with the Dutch teams in the WBC as a coach and then managing in the last couple of tourneys. I remember hearing that he would likely get himself a managerial job in the near future. I know he has been pretty well regarded by most everyone around here until the SFG bats fell apart in 16, then some of the Bay area media started to call for his head, but fuck them anyway.

Scapegoat, like King, has a Line Of Succession and in baseball The Hitting Coach is pretty near the front of it.

The Giants' semi-dynasty has always been teams that "couldn't hit".  That 2010 team was the worst offense for a WS winner since the 88 Dodgers.  And like those Dodgers, the pitching was so damn good it didn't matter.

But for whatever reason this year [injuries, no Major League Caliber outfielders now that Hunter Pence is eroding via serial injury] the team really couldn't hit, and the pitching was in no position to cover for it since calling the bullpen a tire fire is a slander upon the good name of tire fires, and even the rock of Starting Pitching was weaker than it's been in nigh a decade.  Shit, they couldn't even play defense this year for whatever reason. Bochy still has too much equity to be put on show trial for "losing the team" or whatever and honestly I'm still inclined to treat a 64-98 season as more than a fair trade for 3 in the Flags Fly Forever column after 50 years of 0 for San Francisco (fuck Scott Spezio and that god damned monkey).

I don't think Meulens had too much more to do with Belt and Crawford and Panik all turning into pumpkins than he had to with Cody Ross and Travis Ishikawa becoming vessels for the spirit of The Dread Lord Barry, Archmaster Of The Dinger, but when a good team starts to stink it goes hitting coach > pitching coach > Manager > GM, regardless of which ones are actually responsible for the failure.

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

The Blue Jays acquired Aledmys Diaz from the Cards for prospect JB Woodman. So...is Diaz any good @piranesi?

Year before last he was the funnest player to watch and was so sharp and had such great instincts that he was one of those guys who didn't just hit a lot but made things happened on the bases, rattled the other team. I really thought we was going to be a phenom.

I think part of the problem last year coming off the injury is that our hitting coaches. I have a feeling that he will do really well again somewhere with better coaching/managing. The era when people went to St. Louis to unlock potential missed by other coaching staffs is over, especially at the big league level.

• Thanks 1

Fish have the framework of deals with the Giants and Cards to trade Stanton

Stanton needs to waive his non-trade clause before anything can happen.

Reports are that he will absolutely not waive it for the Cards but he might for the Giants

According to Cashman, as per MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, Ohtani seems to be leaning towards West Coast teams in smaller markets.  This ties to a report from FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman saying that Ohtani’s reps are informing teams that the two-way star would prefer a smaller market.

Edit - he is meeting with the Mariners and Giants at least

I'm starting to think the Mariners have a legitimate chance of signing him. They can easily slot him into the lineup on days he doesn't pitch, and have the luxury of the DH spot. DiPoto has even said they'd be willing to have Cruz play RF a couple times a week to allow Ohtani more chances to hit. The only other team mentioned so far is the Giants