DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/12/18

RIPPA

And apparently his twitter for the last year was talking about how much he loved flying (especially low altitude above the water) and how he had basically persuaded his wife after years to finally buy the plane.   

Because that's not going to haunt her forever or anything.  

Sigh.   RIP Doc. 

This really sucks. 

I first moved to Philly in 1995. I like to joke that I was the first person to willingly move here. The city was awful then. I bounced around a while and then settled here for good in 2004. The city was starting to become alive. The new ballpark was part of that. It started to become more and more clear over the months to come that something really special was happening here. New, awesome restaurants were popping up downtown regularly. Neighborhoods that were vacant dustbowls (NoLibs, Fishtown) became hubs of activity. And then we all woke up one day and saw that the Phillies were about to catch the Mets in '07 and that we lived in an amazing city and everyone was about to find that out.

Living here for the '07-'11 run was just epic. There was always something to do when there was a Phillies game on because that's what we did. And I mean the whole city did that. It didn't matter if you were at a hipster enclave filled with out-of-towners like myself or a neighborhood dive bar filled with people who never left the city except for that one summer they spent at Wildwood. EVERYONE watched the Phillies. "Go Phils" was our salutation; it was out "Merry Christmas."  

Roy was such a huge part of my life. Zoo With Roy was a website where some weirdo Phillies fan wanted to go to the zoo and look at penguins with Roy. It became a local favorite. (After he retired, Roy actually went to the zoo with its proprietor and held a penguin. Not kidding.) I was visiting my parents in Lake George, NY during the perfect game. My wife and I went to a sports bar in nearby Glens Falls where a drunk maniac gave us details about the finalization of his divorce before bar hopping at the lake and begging for someone to put the f'n game on. (They did, and we saw the final three outs.) I commuted from Philly to Manhattan for a lot of those years. I watched the playoff no hitter at a Philly-leaning dive bar in midtown a block from my office. A bunch of us Philly people bought each other shots. That was the last time I drank alcohol. I never felt like I had to again after that. 

Thanks, Doc. You made my life better. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

If there's an afterlife for ball players I'm sure Thurman Munson is asking Roy what the fuck were we thinking

That's an incredible battery. I wonder who has the misfortune of being at bat right now.

Doc was the only reason to watch the Jays for a couple years. I'd put him and Dave Stieb as the best Blue Jays pitchers of all time. Way too young to go.  But it really warmed my heart as to how many people paid tribute to him today on my Facebook timeline...he was one of the best players and people to come through Toronto. RIP

Wondering if they can do what they did with Clemente and waive the 5 year wait to enshrine Doc in the hall? I don't think any sane person would object. 

4 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Wondering if they can do what they did with Clemente and waive the 5 year wait to enshrine Doc in the hall? I don't think any sane person would object. 

He is on the ballot next year (ie: 2019 eligible) anyway (Lord is next year a ridiculously stacked year with first timers)

Considering the voting for this year starts in basically two weeks - there isn't a way to add him this year