DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/12/18

RIPPA

The Nationals look for managers the same way I do my grocery shopping.   Except that they can actually afford to go to Whole Foods or Wegmens and still decide to shop at Walmart.   Not saying that Dave Martinez can't win but I don't get the vibe that they even considered Girardi for manager

I think Davey will be a good fit with the Nationals.

I only wonder who replaces him as bench coach for the Cubs. I know some fans want David Ross to have that job, but I don't know if I necessarily agree with that. He was a catcher and got to see a lot of the game, but it just seems like such a "team chemistry" move to get that band back together in some capacity. 

Mother mother fucker. LAD opens as the 2018 WS favorites at 5-1, but it doesn't really help my mood. Time to look at the Spring Training schedule and see if I can get down to see the Nippon Ham Fighters and catch a couple Dodger games. Stupid sexy baseball.

Edited by grilledcheese
Spelling

Important offseason dates (stealing from Trade Rumors)

Here are some of the key dates of the MLB offseason, which kicks off today…

Nov. 2: Commencement of a five-day, exclusive negotiation window that teams have with their own free agents. 
Nov. 4: Deadline for players with opt-out clauses (e.g. Justin Upton, Masahiro Tanaka) to exercise those provisions.
Nov. 6: The deadline for MLB clubs to formally issue one-year qualifying offers (valued at $17.4MM this offseason, as reported by MLBTR) to free agents is 5:00pm ET. Those players will have 10 days to weigh the offers and can negotiate with other clubs during that 10-day window. After that 5pm deadline, all free agents are eligible to begin negotiating with other teams.
Nov. 13-16: General Managers’ meetings take place in Orlando, Fla.
Nov. 20: Deadline for teams to set their 40-man rosters in advance of the Rule 5 Draft.
Dec. 1: Deadline to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players.
Dec. 10-14: MLB’s annual Winter Meetings take place in Orlando, Fla.
Dec. 14: The Rule 5 Draft is held on the final day of the Winter Meetings.
Jan. 13: Arbitration exchange day — the date on which teams and players must exchange filing numbers for arbitration. Hearings, if necessary, typically begin in early February.
Mar. 29: Opening Day! Baseball is back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tabe said:

Why? He was already under contract through 2021.

He had an opt out this off season which he was debating exercising 

Basically they paid him an extra 18 million to stay 

More coaching updates

Astros - Hired Joe Espada (formerly of the Yanks) as bench coach

Red Sox - Hired Ron Roenicke as bench coach

Pirates - extended entire coaching staff through 2019 season

On 11/3/2017 at 1:43 AM, RIPPA said:

He had an opt out this off season which he was debating exercising 

Basically they paid him an extra 18 million to stay 

Gotcha. They're gonna regret that contract. 

• Like 1