DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/12/18

RIPPA

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It appears the Phillies are gonna go with Dusty Wathan as manager

God I am fucking old

Well, not that I was expecting anyone notable, but he certainly wasn’t who I expected. We can’t do worse.

Well, we probably can, but still. 

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dustin Pedroia had knee surgery and is out 7 months so he is not expected to be ready for the start of the season

Pretty sure that's Dennis Eckersley's fault somehow. 

Per my ESPN app - Joe Girardi will not be back with the Yanks. Going to look now to see if it was his choice or the Yanks choice (or both)

I blame Eddie

EDIT - the actual story is claiming it was mutal

Let's see if Girardi ends up as the Nats manager now

Girardi's statement is that the Yanks decided not to bring him back

Jon Heyman and Ken Rosenthal both are reporting that their was "Tension" between the two sides and that the Yanks front office believed that Girardi was "Spent and ready to move on"

Cubs have blown out their entire coaching staff now

Chili Davis is the new hitting coach

Brian Butterfield is the new 3rd base coach.

Both were on the Red Sox coaching staff but were given permission to interview elsewhere after John Farrell was canned

Girardi was 910-710 (.562) as Yankees manager.  That's the best record in baseball for the time period. 

And if this beyond stupid decision ends up with the words "New Yankees Manager Dusty Baker", I will cry tears of joy as I laugh myself into the psych ward at Bellevue. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

NBC Miami is reporting the Marlins are looking to trim payroll down to $90M.  (It's currently around $98M)

Which means probably one or a couple of the following are getting traded:  Marcelo Ozuna, Wei-Yen Chen, Dee Gordon, or Martin Prado.  Or, of course, Giancarlo.   

The Cardinals are apparently desperately looking to get Ozuna.  So, we'll see where it goes from there. 

34 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Girardi was 910-710 (.562) as Yankees manager.  That's the best record in baseball for the time period. 

And if this beyond stupid decision ends up with the words "New Yankees Manager Dusty Baker", I will cry tears of joy as I laugh myself into the psych ward at Bellevue. 

I'd say there's zero chance Dusty Baker ends up in the Bronx. I feel like the Yankees are going to go with an in-house option like Railriders manager, Al Pedrique or first base coach Tony Pena. 

22 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Q: What do you call it when the Yankees end up next season with 100 losses?

Wait for it...

A: A Dusty Finish!!!!

Thank you, thank you very much! I'll be here all week, tip the veal and try the waitress!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So glad you used the giant old man text. It goes along nicely with your terrible Dad joke.

Oh Phil, you never disappoint... What's that old saying? "Surly to bed, surly to rise?" 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, piranesi said:

If I had the book in St. Louis I would fire Mike Matheny yesterday and do everything I could to get Girardi and that entire staff.

Gerardi and his binder would seem to fit well with The Guardians. 

• Like 1

It is standard to give the coaching staff still under contract after a manager is fired the ability to go elsewhere.

Example: two Red Sox coaches were just hired by the Cubs after Farrell was fired

Rosenthal deciding to highlight the Yanks blanket permission granting is weird but I guess since Yankees it's a thing.

Yeah pretty standard.  If you're looking to clean house for whatever reason, you don't want to keep around vestiges of the previous regime.  Especially when you don't know who is going to be a good fit for whoever you bring in.  

Better to do this now while job opportunities are still plentiful and the person can leave of their own volition.