DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/12/18

RIPPA

On 10/6/2017 at 11:37 PM, PetrolCB said:

I wonder who the Phils task with this rebuild. Who the hell is even out there or a candidate?

Don't look now, but the Phils are looking at Buck Showalter and Ruben "I Russo'd The Phillies Single-Handedly" Amaro Jr. for the manager slot.

11 hours ago, Pete said:

The Mets have purchased the Syracuse Chiefs, who will be their AAA club after 2018. No more 5-hour flights from Vegas for their call-ups...

Related to this - Syracuse was the Nats AAA team so they will need to find a new affiliation

On 10/3/2017 at 1:00 AM, Tabe said:

We're #1!  We're #1!  We're #1!

Hey, I gotta celebrate something about my Tigers, right?

You can celebrate that 50 years ago the Tigers were able to roll out Al Kaline, Norm Cash, Eddie Mathews, and Willie Horton in the 3-4-5-6 spots in the line-up. Of course, playing in Detroit was so devastating to Mathews that he retired the next season after thirty games.

Dombrowski has hired only two managers in the past 12 seasons: Jim Leyland, with whom he worked for both the Florida Marlins and Detroit Tigers, is steadfastly retired; Brad Ausmus, one potential candidate to replace Farrell, was recently fired by the Tigers after a 98-loss, last-place season.

The Red Sox could look within the organization at popular former catcher and team captain Jason Varitek. Other possibilities could include DiSarcina and Houston Astros bench coach Alex Cora, a hot managerial prospect who played for the Sox from 2005 to 2008. Dombrowski also has a long-standing relationship with Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa, who recently turned 73 and hasn't managed since 2011 with the St. Louis Cardinals.

On 10/10/2017 at 6:47 AM, OSJ said:

You can celebrate that 50 years ago the Tigers were able to roll out Al Kaline, Norm Cash, Eddie Mathews, and Willie Horton in the 3-4-5-6 spots in the line-up. Of course, playing in Detroit was so devastating to Mathews that he retired the next season after thirty games.

You forget I'm not quite as ancient as you :)

In our defense, Eddie played two years with Detroit. He retired because he couldn't play anymore. 

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You hear that, Yankees? He's single. :D

If the Yankees had gotten swept, I don't think Hal brings Girardi back. I think getting the Yankees to game 5 has earned Joe a new contract. I also don't think Hal will risk letting Joe go and ending up with the Mets or Red Sox job.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dave Dombrowski said that "no level of success would have kept Farrell from being fired" and that he was fired for reasons the team can't disclose.

That statement won't lead to endless rumors and speculation and turn the situation into a circus. Nope.

This is one Boston writer's take (via trade rumors)

As to the reasons that Farrell was ultimately dismissed, Abraham details a number of instances of Farrell’s communication with his players deteriorating. Abraham reports that Dombrowski and Farrell strongly disagreed with how the team handled Manny Machado’s controversial slide into Dustin Pedroia earlier this year. Farrell’s claims that he was in the dark during the ridiculous Apple Watch scandal also reflected poorly on him, and the drama between David Price and commentator Dennis Eckersley also suggested further lack of communication between Farrell and the clubhouse, Abraham writes.

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ausmus has told the Mets to fuck themselves. Robin Ventura has done likewise.  

Ausmus fucking sucks so thank God for that.