DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - AUTUMN 2017

Dolfan in NYC

Celtic beat Sevco yesterday at Ibrox. Result isn't as impressive as it seems as you have to remember the opponent has only existed for like 5 years now. Getting to the top flight in 4 years was quite impressive for them.

Is it wrong to want Benitez back?

If FSW was here, I wouldn't have to answer my own question.

No, it bloody isn't and today proved why. Only reason we got anything out of the game is a Coutinho special. Newcastle rock solid at back, surprise surprise, but another typical mediocre performance from Klopp's side today.

Wait, you're talking about replacing one of the best managers in the world with a defensively minded manager whose approach is better served at smaller clubs, who is constantly bickering with owners in the media over transfer funds, and has failed at Madrid, Inter, Chelsea, and was average at Napoli?  The side has created numerous opportunities its attackers normally put away the last month and a bit. I'm happy that the team is a little bit more defensively responsible and that most of the goals conceded lately are down to individual error and not systemic problems. The one major area where I think criticism of Klopp is justified is defensive recruitment. A pilled up Lovren, Joe Gomez, Alberto Moreno, Mignolet (though he's improved but still has too many breakdowns), Karius, and Alexander-Arnold (great potential but I don't know if running with him as second choice is a fantastic idea) should not be seeing regular game time for a team with aspirations of challenging for the title and putting together a deep run in Europe. That's on him and the committee or whatever name they go by now. I still have no clue why all the eggs were put in the Van Dijk basket and they cheaped out on the left back position.

That pass that split Lovren/Matip today was way too easy. 

So apparently FC Dallas may have to forfeit their match vs Orlando City this past weekend for using an ineligible player (The match ended in a draw). Basically OC would be getting thrown a playoff lifeline.

A little torn on Heynckes at Bayern. It's probably a needed reset, and Bayern are kind of the bar for the level of German club football. But I'd be bored if this would mean 27 consecutive matches without defeat and another title race decided in March or April for the club from Munich.

Re: Nagelsmann - he was very heavily flirting with Bayern over the media. So...yeah, def. likely.