DVDVR Message Board

Halloween Havoc pre-thread

Brian Fowler

14 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Might we get more participants if someone explained what this was?  The regulars know, but...

For those not in the know.

Each member of the collective picks out a horror movie ( a favorite or something you'd like to see discussed in the open) and Fowler will randomly and secretively pass that selection on to someone else.

That person is to watch and write a review of the movie you chose.  We keep going until all reviews have been posted.

We like to keep a rather hard target date for submission of reivews (usually depends on how many people sign up) so that Fowler can begin posting reviews in advance of Halloween and discussion can culminate on October 31st.

There is no hard criteria for what qualifies as a proper selection, but your movie should be classified as "horror" by iMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Bloody Disgusting, or some other movie site.

The Odessa Steps Rule is in effect.  Black Comedy will be considered but screwball comedies with monsters in them are out.

Shaun of the Dead = Yes.

Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein = No.

It would also be appreciated of the availability of your choice was fairly decent either through the library, rental outlet, media streaming service or the like..

8 minutes ago, nate said:

Do we get a list of the movies recommended in previous years?

I'm not even sure if we were that organized in the past. 

You can probably perform searches and find older HH threads, but I think that only Fowler would have any lists compiled from the suggested films, provided that he permanently kept that info on his laptop or PC at home.

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is Netflix really sucking for horror right now?

There are a bunch of horror movie standards and well known films on Netflix that most of you have already seen before, so here is my JT's "What Horror Movie I'd Watch On Netflix" List of lesser known movies.

in no particular order of quality.

1. Last Shift

2. The Pact (not even Caper Van Dien can make this movie too bad to watch.)

3. La Horde (an awesome French horror movie, but skippable if not if you are tired of variances on the zombie apocalypse theme).

4. Devil's Pass (fictionalized account of the Dyatlov Pass incident.  Not great, but not entirely bad either).

5. The Shrine (slightly above average supernatural movie made awesome by the Grammy nominated film score).

6. The Seasoning House (more of a revenge thriller, really, with some scenes that are kinda tough to watch).

7. I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House (a Netflix original!)

8. Wyrmwood:  Road Of The Dead (one of my favorite zombie movies not directed by Romero)

9. John Dies At The End

10. The ORIGINAL Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (yes, the 1920 joint I am not kidding)

11. Housebound

12. The Awakening (the 2011 joint about the psychic investigator, not the shitty re-do of that Bram Stoker mummy story).

13. Hush (we raved about Hush last year but it is good to remind folks it's still on Netflix).

To answer the original question, no.  Netflix has a bunch of good shit available.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

8. Wyrmwood:  Road Of The Dead (one of my favorite zombie movies not directed by Romero)

9. John Dies At The End

10. The ORIGINAL Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (yes, the 1920 joint I am not kidding)>

Yes, Yes, and Fuck Yes

I can't believe I haven't shown Wyrmwood to any of my friends yet. 

Also, everyone -- not only horror fans, but any cinephile -- needs to have seen Caligari. It's not an option not to. 

This is the list that @S.K.o.S. put together 2 years ago.

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane
Bay of Blood
Borderland
Creep
Deadheads
House II: The Second Story
House of Frankenstein
Humanoids of the Deep
Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door
Lake Mungo
The Mummy's Shroud
The People Under The Stairs
Repo! The Genetic Opera

Black Christmas
Citadel
I Saw The Devil
Monkey Shines
Night of the Comet
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors
Q: The Winged Serpent
Re-Animator
Santa's Slay
Texas Chainsaw

The first year this was done was 2010.

From years prior to 2013:

Candyman
Critters 2
Don't Go In The House 
The Eclipse
Evil Dead Trap II
Imprint

And since then, I picked Martin and Prophecy (1979) and have reviewed Theatre of Blood and Angel Heart.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remembered putting something together but I knew it was far from complete.

2016:

Noroi: The Curse
Cellar Dweller
John Dies At The End
Hatchet
Martin
Possession
Angel Heart
Train to Busan
It Follows
A Christmas Horror Story
Brotherhood of Satan

2015:

You're Next
Theatre of Blood
Trick or Treat
The Loved Ones
The Mummy
Only Lovers Left Alive
Inferno
A Cat In The Brain
The Prophecy
Housebound
Extraterrestrial
Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorrah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack!
Tourist Trap
The Guest

• Like 1

Older than that I failed to save anywhere and the board died.

One other rule: Real animal cruelty/murder is generally not allowed. Because I don't want the thread to devolve into a debate about the morality of killing animals for art. 

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

One other rule: Real animal cruelty/murder is generally not allowed. Because I don't want the thread to devolve into a debate about the morality of killing animals for art. 

Yes. Please leave Baron Corbin's career out of this.

• Haha 4