DVDVR Message Board

Playing MP4 and AVI files on my tv?

Spritenaut 32

Basically, I want to be able to watch race footage (marathons, track meets, triathlons, swim meets, etc.) on my tv.  I've been collecting race footage for about 25 years, but, over the past four or five years, my sources have dried up.  My last reliable contact informed me he's going to stop burning footage to DVD's.  Apparently, he doesn't have that many customers anymore and it takes too long to convert the footage to DVD format, burn the DVD, store the files, etc.  

I'm not ready to get out of collecting, so I'm weighing my options.  I still have sources for files, but they are mostly AVI and MP4. Most races end up on Youtube anyway.  I know how to convert files to MPEG-2, but I'm really not a techie and the time it takes to make one disc is a turn-off.  The real issue is that I want to watch footage on the TV in my study, not  my PC.  So I'm either looking to somehow stream video from my computer to my TV or pick up a DVD player that plays burned discs, MP4's, AVI files, etc.  I'd prefer to invest in a DVD player/game system/blu-ray player that can do that.  

What am I looking for?  DVD player that supports USB?  Blu-ray?  Gaming system?  I'm wondering if a PS4 would do what I want?  I've been considering buying a PS4 console anyway (not much of a gamer, but do enjoy Fire Pro and Final Fantasy).  Any suggestions?  I'm kinda looking for the simplest, most time-efficient solution.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...