DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (With 100% More Cages Suspended From Above Like Wrestling Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

RIZIN had a partnership with ROAD FC iirc and they're a pretty big deal in South Korea, so that show would be a possibility with help from them.

I honestly doubt anything overseas happens though. I think he'll just run the October event in Osaka or Saitama or something and that entire talk will just be ignored. I'm guessing if the event in China did ever pan out, then I could possibly see them seeking some talent from Kunlun or something.

• 2 weeks later...

The highlight of InVicta FC 27 was Felicia Spencer while being in a standing choke she was able to knee her opponent in the head several times. 

Cummins, Porto and Kaufman all looked great in their fights. Wang was tough as hell in her fight. 

• Like 1

Bellator_192_Lima_vs._MacDonald_Poster.j

Bellator 192: Rampage vs. Sonnen
January 20, 2018
Inglewood, CA (The Forum)

2018 Bellator Heavyweight World Grand Prix Tournament Quarterfinal: Quinton Jackson (253) vs. Chael Sonnen (222) - Sonnen, DEC (unanimous)
Bellator Welterweight Championship: Douglas Lima © (169) vs. Rory MacDonald (169.3) (second defense) - MacDonald, DEC (unanimous)
Michael Chandler (156) vs. Goiti Yamauchi (155.9) - Chandler, DEC (unanimous)
Aaron Pico (145.2) vs. Shane Kruchten (146) - Pico, KO (body punch), R1 (0:37)
Georgi Karakhanyan (145)vs. Henry Corrales (145.8) - Corrales, DEC (unanimous)

ParamountNetwork.com Preliminary Card:
Chad George (135.6) vs. James Barnes (135.2) - George, TKO (doctor stoppage), R2 (5:00)
Noah Tillis (155.3) vs. Jalin Turner (155.1) - Turner, KO (punches), R1
Cooper Gibson (145.5) vs. Andrew Lazo (146) - Gibson, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (2:43)
Christopher Padilla (156) vs. Gabriel Green (155.3) - Green, SUB, R1
Mike Segura (155.6) vs. Arthur Estrazulas (156) - Estrazulas, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 
Roosevelt Roberts (155.8) vs. Tommy Aaron (153.1) - Roberts, TKO (punches), R1
Kyle Estrada (127.6) vs. David Duran (127.7) - Estrada, DEC (unanimous)
Johnny Cisneros (170.4) vs. Marlen Magee (167.9) - Cisneros, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (2:28)
Ivan Castillo (169.8) vs. Guilherme Vasconcelos (168.5) - Vasconcelos, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (4:12)
Khonry Gracie (169) vs. Devon Brock (166) - Brock, DEC (unanimous)
Haim Gozali (168.5) vs. Jose Campos (168.8) - Campos, DEC (unanimous)
Joey Davis (170.5) vs. Ian Butler (168.4) - Davis, KO (spinning back kick), R1 (0:39)

Rating: 770,000 viewers

Rory vs. Lima is something I've been looking forward to for a while now. Freak show main event could be fun but Chael is pretty boring even in these situations. Is Goiter [sic] Yamauchi a rehab fight for Chandler? Pico fighting a guy with a respectable record on paper is interesting in that I thought they'd give him complete cans for the next couple of fights or so.

I see Tyrell Fortune has a fight lined up for 193 the week after. How has he looked so far?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Rory vs. Lima is something I've been looking forward to for a while now. Freak show main event could be fun but Chael is pretty boring even in these situations. Is Goiter [sic] Yamauchi a rehab fight for Chandler? Pico fighting a guy with a respectable record on paper is interesting in that I thought they'd give him complete cans for the next couple of fights or so.

I see Tyrell Fortune has a fight lined up for 193 the week after. How has he looked so far?

I know it's for name recognition but after watching the Wanderlei fight and knowing that Rampage is far past his prime, how is the WW title fight not the main event? Why not just bill the show as having two main events? I mean you're running against UFC show that's going to have 20x the coverage. Once Chael starts dry humping Rampage, people are going to tune out in droves.

As for Fortune, he looks like a guy who can beat bums. I mean he's not fighting anyone at this point where you can tell something about him other than he's a pretty good wrestler. None of these dudes he fought had a single MMA fight when he fought them. That says a lot.

I had no idea Yamauchi was Chandler's opponent until I looked on Wikipedia. Chandler is their guy so they're going to try their best to protect him.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

so I'm watching this bellator 192 card. can they get some goddamn sponsors? i know I'm watching a stream (officially) but i just saw the some commercial 5x in a row

It happens sometimes last night Halep vs. Davis for 2 straight hours ran the same 3 commercials. 

Rory won even though due to leg kicks in looked like a human was going to be born out of his shin/calf after the fight. 

Pico's uppercut to the body was nasty. 

I liked the overall presentation of Bellator 192 more then what they did previously I think this format could work for their 3 hours shows. 

Pico has really great offensive boxing for a guy with a wrestling background. Those body shots were filthy. 

Goiti Yamauchi is no rehab fight for Chandler. That was one of the finest question mark kicks I've seen and from the lead leg too. Aren't those usually from the back leg? Fun fight. 

• 4 weeks later...

Perfect combination. Checked out the rest of the fight and, as much as I'm not a fan of Showdown Joe's commentary(Canada apologizes), he was talking about how Torres saying he forgot to move his head in his last fight. Well, he didn't remember to do it in this one either, lol. Guy was eating way too many punches he didn't need to. As much as I like his combinations, his defence is a giant hole. Saying that, he could still probably make a dent in UFC's flyweight top 10.

I'm scanning through the Glory show from last night and there's a fun Omar Moreno/Casey Greene brawl that goes into a 4th round. Then this happened!

WTF?

• Like 1

Bellator 194

Claxton controlled his fight and won in the 2nd round via ground and pound.

McGeary took an insane amount of leg kicks and in the 3rd round it just gave out.

Heather Hardy won her fight by DEC to bounce back after getting viciously KO in her last fight.

Freire picked his shots and won by KO in the 1st round to possibly each a title shot in her next fight.

Meathead won the main event but Nelson should have gotten a stoppage or a 10-8 in the 3rd to win or force a 4th round since it is a Tournament fight.

It feels like McGeary destined to fade away like the other former LHW champs Bellator had like Christian M'Pumbu, Attila Vegh, and Emanuel Newton. Based on getting leg kicked to the point where he couldn't stand last night, he may be better served being a UK and Eastern Europe MMA staple. There are probably some prospects out that way at 205 who can use a decent name on their resume.

Losing Jimmy Smith and gaining John McCarthy seems to have worked out OK for everyone, doesn't it? But I'm not sure what Jay Glazer is doing there. His main selling point appears to be the he's the world's biggest fan of Jay Glazer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Losing Jimmy Smith and gaining John McCarthy seems to have worked out OK for everyone, doesn't it? But I'm not sure what Jay Glazer is doing there. His main selling point appears to be the he's the world's biggest fan of Jay Glazer.

I think they signed Glazer because of his NFL connection but if it didn't really translate during his time w/ the UFC, I doubt it works with Bellator. He doesn't really add a level of professionalism that a TV production needs especially when his main job is to add a "MMA bro" element. Jimmy Smith has that vibe about him but I don't think it hinders the broadcast because he is a solid color commentator who can work a MMA show or boxing like he did with PBC on Spike where he was maybe the best on air personality out of a four or five person team (Mauro was probably the lone exception and Tarver was acceptable for being a boxer). That would include Dana whateverherlastnameis they brought in much like Glazer since she has a connection to mainstream sports. If you're struggling to find just one person who knows what they're talking about, you don't need more than two people. You're just killing time moreso than spicing up the broadcast.

Speaking of PBC, Sean Grande (the Goldberg type shill guy who replaced Wheelock on Bellator shows only to get replaced by the real Mike Goldberg) worked the PBC on Fox show on Saturday. He was bad (he kept calling Devon Alexander's longtime trainer Kevin Cunningham Kimbo's real name Kevin Ferguson and nobody corrected him IIRC), but he wasn't as annoying as he was on Bellator broadcasts. It's probably because they didn't have him shilling like Bellator did. 

DV92CtnU0AAENR-.jpg

RIZIN.9
May 6, 2018
Fukuoka, JP (Marine Messe Fukuoka)

Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Ian McCall
Kanna Asakura vs. Melissa Karagianis
Manel Kape vs. Kai Asakura
Weili Zhang vs. Kanako Murata
RIZIN Kickboxing Rules: Tomohiro Kitai vs. TBA
RIZIN Kickboxing Rules: Tenshin Nasukawa vs. TBA

Bellator 195

Archuleta just beat the shit out of his opponent for 3 rounds if you ever want to see a 30-23 fight watch this one.
Ducote and Williams was a good close fight I had it 29-28 Ducote but two judges saw it for Williams.
Caldwell just ran threw his opponent it will be interesting to see who he faces next. 

After seeing this, how are people suppose to get excited for Bellator's one video screen they stole from mid 90s WWF?

FWIW, this reminds of the presentation and entrances from Wladimir Klitschko vs. Jean Marc Mormeck. That was in a stadium so it had a lot more bells and whistles, but this is still cool.