DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (With 100% More Cages Suspended From Above Like Wrestling Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

What happened to Pitbull vs Weichel in Israel? It just wasn't on the show, but they never acknowledged it had even been scheduled, let alone cancelled. Also, the show was terrible.

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

What happened to Pitbull vs Weichel in Israel? It just wasn't on the show, but they never acknowledged it had even been scheduled, let alone cancelled. Also, the show was terrible.

Patricio pulled out of the fight like a few days before the show and it was virtually a one fight show depending if you like looking at Denise Kielholtz. I imagine trying to wrangle someone and get them into Israel on that short a notice is almost impossible unless they already live in Israel. So they were basically shit outta luck. 

I didn't watch the show (I think I may have only seen a few fights total from any of those shows in Israel), and it was the lowest rated Bellator show since the last one in Thackerville (Dudu Dantas vs. Darion Caldwell).

I realize the answer is likely "because, Bellator" but why the hell is the first round spread out over five months? They could at least double it up two and two so the tournament doesn't take a year and a half. Unless someone still is waiting for medical clearance/suspensions to end.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I realize the answer is likely "because, Bellator" but why the hell is the first round spread out over five months? They could at least double it up two and two so the tournament doesn't take a year and a half. Unless someone still is waiting for medical clearance/suspensions to end.

I think for ratings and to boost other shows up because they really don't have anything else for one.

The other reason would probably be people wanted to fight randomly and wouldn't agree to all fight within a couple weeks or a month of each other like the World Boxing Super Series (basically a better structured, non robin round version of Showtime's Super Six). That itself even with some bland matchups at least is fun because you have one tournament match four or five consecutive weeks in a row for the first round even if it wasn't the same weight classes. Also, it helps that 3/4 of the participants are not out of their prime.

On 11/22/2017 at 11:59 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yes, I am sure Kevin is aware as well. We get that RIZIN likes to revisit nostalgia. I think it's that the uniqueness and novelty of Bob Sapp to anyone who isn't Japanese has worn off (or worn thin) since he went on his infamous Dive World Tour five years back. So anything Bob Sapp (or anyone who hasn't been relevant in several years and/or well beyond their drawing or fighting prime) related is likely going to be met with apathy at best here.  

Yeah, I feel the same when it comes to Sapp and pretty much every foreigner I've read feels that, but I was speaking about locals. The locals still like watching him and any freakshows fights intrigues the majority of locals.

It's funny you mention that RIZIN likes to revisit nostalgia because after their second event Takada said they wanted to get away from anything PRIDE related and wanted to be seen as an entirely different entity, yet they kept on going back to acts that had ties to the past.

On 11/22/2017 at 12:12 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

I get that Sapp WAS a huge star in Japan and is a name many still know, but what was his last loss that gave someone a rub? Edson França? Jong Dae Kim? Tolegen Akylbekov? He still has some freakshow appeal which can give a ratings bump, but that doesn't mean that beating him will give that fighter any type of advancement in his career. Maybe if they knock Sapp unconscious for the highlight reel, but Sapp generally doesn't even dive in an interesting fashion, it just leaves people shaking their heads.

I mean if Mike Tyson had a comeback fight on PPV next month, people would buy it and watch it because its Mike Tyson, but it doesn't mean the boxer that beat him would suddenly be elevated. Most fans are smart enough to know whats up, they may enjoy the spectacle of it but once the spectacle is over, that's it. They don't then necessarily turn into fans of the fighter that beat the washed up name fighter. I'll watch Sapp fight too because its somehow very engrossing, but I doubt I'll remember his opponent's name the day after.

From what I could grasp from Sakakibara, was they're hoping to capitalize if they could find a better to beat Sapp. I guess they're going to find ways to continuously push and promote said fighter. Sure it's not a guarantee it would sell, but that's what they want to do.

9 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Yeah, I feel the same when it comes to Sapp and pretty much every foreigner I've read feels that, but I was speaking about locals. The locals still like watching him and any freakshows fights intrigues the majority of locals.

It's funny you mention that RIZIN likes to revisit nostalgia because after their second event Takada said they wanted to get away from anything PRIDE related and wanted to be seen as an entirely different entity, yet they kept on going back to acts that had ties to the past.

From what I could grasp from Sakakibara, was they're hoping to capitalize if they could find a better to beat Sapp. I guess they're going to find ways to continuously push and promote said fighter. Sure it's not a guarantee it would sell, but that's what they want to do.

Anytime a promotion or promoter makes a promise about not doing something, they will go back on that ASAP. I mean Coker said they wouldn't sign just anyone who came from UFC when he first got to Bellator and then they pretty much did because what's the alternative? I think the same goes for RIZIN or any of these groups who pop up in the wake of the end of PRIDE/K-1. If they didn't do that they would basically be Pancrase or Shooto with more notable ex UFC vets. However, I don't have an issue with the nostalgia thing because if it works then it works. The problem is there will be inherent flaws in some of these plans.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Anytime a promotion or promoter makes a promise about not doing something, they will go back on that ASAP. I mean Coker said they wouldn't sign just anyone who came from UFC when he first got to Bellator and then they pretty much did because what's the alternative? I think the same goes for RIZIN or any of these groups who pop up in the wake of the end of PRIDE/K-1. If they didn't do that they would basically be Pancrase or Shooto with more notable ex UFC vets. However, I don't have an issue with the nostalgia thing because if it works then it works. The problem is there will be inherent flaws in some of these plans.

Pretty much RIZIN has said they would do a ton of things they never even mentioned again -- legend's division, LED ropes, etc.

6 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Just saw someone mention Askren's retirement fight against Aoki in ONE apparently sold poorly.

This begs the question then: If no one knows you retired, did you actually retire?

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This begs the question then: If no one knows you retired, did you actually retire?

I don't buy his retirement originally. I'm not a fan of his, but the dude deserves a spot on the UFC roster.

He also won.

7 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I don't buy his retirement originally. I'm not a fan of his, but the dude deserves a spot on the UFC roster.

He also won.

This is probably gonna result in him fighting in ACB in like a year from now and hanging with ole Ramzan Kadyrov. 

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is probably gonna result in him fighting in ACB in like a year from now and hanging with ole Ramzan Kadyrov. 

Isn't Kadyrov in charge of Akhmat?

I've always thought Akhmat and ACB are different entities.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Werdum and Edgar are pretty open about their relationship with them, specially Werdum who gave them about 10 shout outs at the last UFC card.

33 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Isn't Kadyrov in charge of Akhmat?

I've always thought Akhmat and ACB are different entities.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Werdum and Edgar are pretty open about their relationship with them, specially Werdum who gave them about 10 shout outs at the last UFC card.

Different entities but the ACB promoter Mairbek Khasiev has ties with Kadyrov.

Another well-known MMA promoter from Chechnya, Mairbek Khasiev, wrote on Instagram last month that he decided not to pursue a Nike sponsorship for his Absolute Championship Berkut organization because Nike dropped Manny Pacquiao for anti-gay remarks.

“Sometimes the devil is afraid of the thoughts within a f*ggot’s head,” wrote Khasiev, who has ties to Kadyrov.

Khasiev is basically another notorious crazy man.

RIZIN just held a press conference where they announced several fights for next month's events.

Seiichiro Ito vs. Kai Asakura
Shinobu Kandori vs. Gabi Garcia
Takanori Gomi vs. Yusuke Yachi

They also announced a 4 man 1 night kickboxing tournament for NYE.

Mitsuhisa Sunabe vs. Yamato Fujita
Tenshin Nasukawa vs. TBD

14 hours ago, Edwin said:

RIZIN just held a press conference where they announced several fights for next month's events.

Seiichiro Ito vs. Kai Asakura
Shinobu Kandori vs. Gabi Garcia
Takanori Gomi vs. Yusuke Yachi

They also announced a 4 man 1 night kickboxing tournament for NYE.

Mitsuhisa Sunabe vs. Yamato Fujita
Tenshin Nasukawa vs. TBD

I'm guessing there ain't a whole lot of LLPW and AJW money left in the bank account for Kandori.

Gabi was originally scheduled to face Shinobu Kandori last year, but Kandori had to pull out of the fight due to injury and Yumiko Hotta stepped in.

18 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Gabi was originally scheduled to face Shinobu Kandori last year, but Kandori had to pull out of the fight due to injury and Yumiko Hotta stepped in.

I'm assuming Jaguar Yokota and Mayumi Ozaki were busy.

Gabi Garcia: I wanna be taken seriously as a martial artist.

*fights all the top Joshi wrestlers from 25 years ago*