DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (With 100% More Cages Suspended From Above Like Wrestling Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm listening to WOR and supposedly Floyd getting the money that was received for the PRIDE purchase ($65 million) and some outside money totalling $100 million.

Not sure they will fork that out for an exhibition or a hybrid rules fight, which is why I'm really skeptical about that figure, but it's Floyd, so it's possible.

If they do, then I'm not even sure they will have enough to pay anyone else unless they dig themselves into a big financial mess.

They've never paid anyone a figure close to that and they've struggled to pay refs. and crew on time, so imagine what would happen if they paid that to Floyd.

32 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If they paid Floyd nine figures for Tenshin to lose a unanimous decision and not get any type of rub other than facing Mayweather, they are the most inept promoters in the history of combat sports.

Wouldn't be surprised. It's Sakakibara after all...

Well, at least we know RIZIN has more of a chance to be around past NYE and can pay all their fighters and Sakakibara can continue dreaming of ever promoting a fight between a big foreign name boxer and one of contracted fighters.

On 11/7/2018 at 4:24 PM, J.T. said:

Okay so Money is pretty much saying that RIZIN misrepresented itself and real significance of the event?

Floyd knew what the deal was (no way in hell did he believe he was fighting in front of just a small crowd), but I'm assuming RIZIN never really intended to go through with the fight anyways. They wanted eyeballs on their event on NYE and what else were they going to do? I mean Floyd isn't really an international superstar, but he is a name.

I don't think Rizin really intended to pay Floyd all that money unless Floyd was willing to do the job to Tenshin and fight him under mixed rules. There are various examples in Japanese MMA history where the person they want to win knows their opponent and the date of the fight weeks in advance before said B side (or non native fighter) gets to know. With this one, you can add in a ruleset as well. Floyd said fuck that noise and took the money they paid him to do the presser and left town. It's that simple IMO.

• Like 1

Watching the infamous (and oddly respectable) Dakota Cochrane TKO Johny Hendrick in a bare-knuckle boxing match has to cap off the most precipitous championship drop-off we've seen in awhile, right? We've had Barao, Weidman, Anderson, Pettis, Ronda, Penn, Condit, etc. remind us how brutal this sport can be to former belt-holders but this one seems extra bleak.

Yesterday saw Bibiano Fernandes lost for the first time in 8 years. Belingon looked to be loading up on almost every one of his shots and he put Fernandes on his ass at the end of the 4th with a counter straight down the pipe off of a leg kick. That kind of decisive action is way more important when judges score the fight as a whole rather than per round. Bibiano controlled pretty long stretches of the fight but those huge power shots from Belingon stole the show. Fernandes almost finished him in the second with a sweet armbar attempt but Belingon just hulked out, swept him and started raining down fists. Great fight.

I always forget Bibiano lives here in Vancouver, so the Canadian flag confused me for a bit there. Once Fernandes and Belingon have their rubber match, I'd love to see Fernandes vs. DJ down the line once DJ cleans out flyweight. Fernandes is so god damn fast transitioning from position to position and submission to submission.

One was good enough to upload the fight on YT!

I caught some of the LFA show tonight. For whatever reason, I'm not entirely sold on Sabina Mazo. She has some potential. She never really has a lull when she fights. However, she was in there with someone who was there to get mopped up inside the distance. She busted this random Brazilian chick up early, but never really got out of first gear. In addition, I don't think Mazo has a frame to fighting more athletic fighters who offer more than being a someone to get head kicked. The closest approximation body wise would be Irene Aldana, but Aldana has more power to her shots. Mazo has to kill you with activity if she isn't scoring highlight reel knockouts. I think the reason why she isn't in the UFC is because there is a strong possibility she might flame out fast. If the UFC does have some interest, it would probably be best to sit out on her and wait until the summer rolls around so she can be on the Tuesday Night Contender Series. She's only twenty one and now with Kings MMA, but I need some more concrete evidence that she is a real prospect.

20 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Avila, Smashly, Mizuki and Spencer were the other highlights of the night. 

Agreed, Spencer & Avila looked great in their finishes. Also liked seeing Kaitlin Young make a successful Invicta return. Geltmacher/Tracy brought the goods. Disappointed that Kay Hansen didn't get the win but Blanchfield is good.

On 11/11/2018 at 10:23 AM, Oyaji said:

Yesterday saw Bibiano Fernandes lost for the first time in 8 years. Belingon looked to be loading up on almost every one of his shots and he put Fernandes on his ass at the end of the 4th with a counter straight down the pipe off of a leg kick. That kind of decisive action is way more important when judges score the fight as a whole rather than per round. Bibiano controlled pretty long stretches of the fight but those huge power shots from Belingon stole the show. Fernandes almost finished him in the second with a sweet armbar attempt but Belingon just hulked out, swept him and started raining down fists. Great fight.

I always forget Bibiano lives here in Vancouver, so the Canadian flag confused me for a bit there. Once Fernandes and Belingon have their rubber match, I'd love to see Fernandes vs. DJ down the line once DJ cleans out flyweight. Fernandes is so god damn fast transitioning from position to position and submission to submission.

One was good enough to upload the fight on YT!

The One app is just the youtube feed so all of their events are shown live on youtube. Not sure how long they stay up for but at least a few days. Last night's show was pretty good in parts, which is pretty typical of One. I would say the Holzken fight and main event are worth your time. Brown Pinas scored a nice KO in the prelims as well.

• Like 1

I don't do this often, mainly because I'm wrong most of the time, but I called the fight being a 3 round exhibition\automatic draw as soon as I heard about it. Nothing else makes any sense.

No way Floyd fights under anything but boxing rules and there's no way Rizin has the money to pay for a proper Floyd purse. Nevermind how stupid it would have been for them to pay Floyd that money given that he'd very likely clown Tenshin.

This way it's kind of win-win. They get their potential ratings boost and will have highlights later on to shown Tenshin 'fighting' Mayweather. Probably saving them a ton of cash and getting the same or better outcome.

Cage Rage 99, that was a show that happened. Overshadowed by UFC running later the same night. But no worries because CR100 is going to be the biggest show they've ever done, no way that takes a back seat to any other MMA show that weekend. When is it? 8th December... same day as Ortega vs Holloway. Fuck.

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Cage Rage 99, that was a show that happened. Overshadowed by UFC running later the same night. But no worries because CR100 is going to be the biggest show they've ever done, no way that takes a back seat to any other MMA show that weekend. When is it? 8th December... same day as Ortega vs Holloway. Fuck.

Cage Rage is still running shows...what?

10 hours ago, Setsuna said:

I don't do this often, mainly because I'm wrong most of the time, but I called the fight being a 3 round exhibition\automatic draw as soon as I heard about it. Nothing else makes any sense.

No way Floyd fights under anything but boxing rules and there's no way Rizin has the money to pay for a proper Floyd purse. Nevermind how stupid it would have been for them to pay Floyd that money given that he'd very likely clown Tenshin.

This way it's kind of win-win. They get their potential ratings boost and will have highlights later on to shown Tenshin 'fighting' Mayweather. Probably saving them a ton of cash and getting the same or better outcome.

He basically said he was gonna run around for nine minutes which he is more than capable of doing. Who would tune in to watch that if Floyd already gave away what he was planning to do? If they wanted Tenshin to become a star, Floyd isn't the dude. He just isn't. At least if Floyd beat him up in a real fight, he can show heart and tenacity. What good can come from Floyd playing keep away for nine minutes w/ no stakes? 

Not Cage Rage. Cage Warriors. Cage Rage was just a guy who ran Lapdancing clubs being a money mark.

Now watching Bellator 209 from Tel Aviv, Israel. They found a 5'7", 262lb Heavyweight in Russia, for the local guy to beat. He kicked him in the head quite easily, hit a borderline legal knee to the neck while he was down, then finished with a left hook. Now there's a Women's fight, and Cindy Dandois has the most pointlessly oversized implants in MMA. That can't help when you're weight cutting, can it? Olga Rubin is one of the only women besides Rose Namajunas to have figured out having short hair is a pretty good idea.

While I'm generally not a fan of using animals to sell products or entertain, this is too good. I know Meltzer puts over KSW's promotional/hype packages as the best in the world and they are certainly up there.

No sloppy bitch freak fights is depressing though. I guess I'll have to watch the technically competent guys instead.