DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (With 100% More Cages Suspended From Above Like Wrestling Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

Apparently the all-time MMA record for missing weight is 32 pounds. Guy was supposed to make Light Heavyweight, and showed up to the weigh in at 238 lbs. Fight got cancelled.

• 3 weeks later...

I was making all of the strange pain noises just watching that. Admirable that he held out on tapping for as long as he did.

Now the Krazy Bee tears can conclude with Miyuu losing again. :( That + Shinju looking like a jabronie against somebody with just one amateur fight = sadness. 

Manel Kape is really fun to watch but boy does he need to work on other facets of MMA other than just boxing. Great speed and boxing matched by horrible grappling and submission defence.

Miyuu Yamamoto has a winning record for the first time in her young career at the age of 44. She's still a one-trick pony but there are worse things to have than world championship calibre wrestling in MMA. 

Okay, this Halsey/Prochazka fight is so weird. Halsey seemingly intentionally fell out of the ring twice and was even given a yellow card for stalling to get back in the ring. Hilarious. I was starting to think we'd see powder or steel chairs in the second round but Prochazka survived a few sub attempts and won via TKO in the first round. Prochazka's striking is great and all but he's a lucky boy because a better grapple would've slept him.

Fuckin Halsey doing a Jerry Lawler in the Saitama Super Arena. 

Who decides, "we have a great young prospect, we should put him in the ring with a historically great boxer, who is also a raging asshole who couldn't love anything more than embarrassing us and taking our millions of dollars?"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Who decides, "we have a great young prospect, we should put him in the ring with a historically great boxer, who is also a raging asshole who couldn't love anything more than embarrassing us and taking our millions of dollars?"

As I said before, Sakakibara was probably drooling as he finally got a chance to promote a fight with a big name boxer, however...

The goal for this exhibition was to continue building Tenshin's rise as a star by hoping he could go the distance with Floyd as that would prove his fighting spirit which is what the local fans care about the most, but that backfired since Floyd toyed with Tenshin.

So despite living one of his dreams, Sakakibara still ended up possibly shooting himself in the foot.

1 minute ago, Edwin said:

The goal for this was exhibition was to continue building Tenshin's rise as a star by hoping he could the distance with as that would prove his fighting spirit which is what the local fans care about the most, but that backfired since Floyd toyed with Tenshin.

That was a sub-3 minute fight, and could have been shorter if Floyd actually started boxing at the beginning instead of starting the match doing the Fred Sanford Okey Doke.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Preaching to the choir, my friend.

This was incredibly stupid from its genesis.

36 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This was incredibly stupid from its genesis.

100%

Good chance the ratings for this were great, but there isn't much to capitalize on moving forward.

Juju losing was bad for RIZIN, too. She was one of their draws as the ratings peaked when she fought, along with RENA who's already spiraled with her 2 loses to Kanna.

40 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

I have to admit, out of all the possible outcomes, I was a fool to not factor "Mayweather agrees to friendly exhibition, but comes out full force and goes for the kill from opening bell" as a possibility. 

except that's not what happened. floyd came out playing, planning on dancing his way to an easy 9mil. tenshin landed one good one and floyd said "fuck this".

Oh man, Floyd Mayweather... still pretty good at boxing. Nasukawa in tears after getting completely embarrassed would fittingly be the last (and lasting) memory of RIZIN if they fold after this. 

Eh, and it looked like Nasukawa was already in trouble before that first counter left.

Just now, twiztor said:

except that's not what happened. floyd came out playing, planning on dancing his way to an easy 9mil. tenshin landed one good one and floyd said "fuck this".

That is what happened. Tenshin didn't land shit. Floyd has brutal sparring bouts between young fighters at his gym. Tenshin would need Floyd to have his hands down behind his back and stick his chin out for Tenshin to land a good shot.

15 minutes ago, Edwin said:

100%

Good chance the ratings for this were great, but there isn't much to capitalize on moving forward.

Juju losing was bad for RIZIN, too. She was one of their draws as the ratings peaked when she fought, along with RENA who's already spiraled with her 2 loses to Kanna.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention last night RENA's fight was cancelled due to a really bad weight cut. They went as far as showing her being hauled away in the ambulance.

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Oh man, Floyd Mayweather... still pretty good at boxing. Nasukawa in tears after getting completely embarrassed would fittingly be the last (and lasting) memory of RIZIN if they fold after this. 

Eh, and it looked like Nasukawa was already in trouble before that first counter left.

I seen a poster that they have a show on 4/21 in Yokohama. 

Yeah, there's the annual April return show which I'm sure the ratings for this will be good enough for them to justify running another event.

After that, I'm not sure what they can manage to pull off though.

I'm still baffled this entire thing went down. Sure it got you the publicity you wanted, but the result was exactly what you didn't want to happened. Not exactly as bad as Kimbo/Seth was to EliteXC, but still terrible.

That Gabi Garcia/old Joshi veterans feud won't give you the ratings you need to survive...