DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (With 100% More Cages Suspended From Above Like Wrestling Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

Bad news: Fedor vs. Chael Sonnen is only good for 60,000 viewers avg. over a random Ilima-lei MacFarlane fight. 

Good news: Ilima-lei MacFarlane is not too far behind Fedor Emelianenko as Bellator's top draw. That's good...kinda..sorta..maybe?

So the Bellator show with Fedor vs Chael finally aired over here. 2 things: 1) Benson Henderson blatantly cheated and then immediately gave a speech about integrity and the importance of being a role model, so that was good. And 2) I knew Chael Sonnen was a fan of the Pro-Wrestling, but I didn't know he was so into it that he thought a Rolling Neck Snap would work in a real fight.

• Haha 1

Wow. Where'd they get that fuck money from?

And Floyd has a good 10 kilos on Tenshin too. Tenshin is lightning quick but can get pretty reckless. That will be ridiculously awesome. lawl at the news reports even considering it could be a kickboxing match.

The people who previously ran Pride wouldn't make the same mistake again, would they?!

*wee bey gif*

Edit: will the majority of Japanese people be watching this fight come NYE? Like over half the country type shit? This is so fucking crazy. I love it!

• Like 1

I'm assuming that whoever is backing this has been trying to get Floyd to sign on the dotted line for minute because Floyd has been talking about his return being in Japan for months now. Golovkin vs. Murata at the Tokyo Dome was in the works before Murata lost weeks back, but that wasn't going to be on NYE since Golovkin is taking the rest of 2018 off. I didn't see Teiken Promotions spending a shit load of cash to bring in Floyd Mayweather anyway just in case GGG turned it down. Plus, there isn't a Japanese native in Floyd's weight range with any sort of notoriety besides Murata. There is Takeshi Inoue who is a junior middleweight, but he hasn't fought outside Korakuen and it looks like he might be a future sacrificial lamb for Jaime Munguia. So the only logical choice was RIZIN.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

The people who previously ran Pride wouldn't make the same mistake again, would they?!

*wee bey gif*

Edit: will the majority of Japanese people be watching this fight come NYE? Like over half the country type shit? This is so fucking crazy. I love it!

The Kohaku music show has half of the country watching. This is the competition trying to cut into that. Fighting has worked sometimes. Then it turned into 3 different fighting shows at the same time with Kohaku retaining the NYE championship. My friend had 2 TVs set up for the night most years. The only fighters that his wife and daughters would pay attention to were Akebono and Bobby.

• Like 1

I'm just as baffled as y'all are about Floyd/Tenshin. They did a great job of keeping that on the quiet.

Say what you will be about Sakakibara, but he doesn't mind taking risk. The money isn't his anyway.

Also, he's been obsessed with having a big name American boxer fight for him since the PRIDE days. The idea back then was to have Holyfield fight Tamura and Tyson fight Cro Cop and Fedor in tours across Asia, namely in China.

This will be a huge success ratings wise or an entire flop. There's no inbetween. If it's a flop, RIZIN is over. It's kind of hard for this to be a flop, though. Given Floyd is the biggest name in boxing in recent times and Tenshin is RIZIN's biggest star, this will most likely be a success ratings wise. That doesn't mean it will be a financial success though.

Just Tenshin getting in the ring with Floyd is going to boost his stock in Japan even more.

Fight will be an exhibition or a hybrid rules fight at best. No chance this is an MMA fight.

Keep in mind this is mostly set to appeal to locals watching on Fuji and not to us foreigners watching on FITE TV. Whatever press/buzz they receive outside of Japan, is a bonus.

Edit: From a financial stand point, RIZIN has had loans taken to pay for their events and the payments to some referees have been late. Given Floyd's massive price tag, I could see RIZIN taking a Paul Heyman and paying the rest of their crew late or not paying them at all just to be able to pay Floyd which could be a massive blow.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:16 AM, clintthecrippler said:

."All joking aside...seriously, what the fuck.

The Baby Rainmaker is going to put Money on his ass if this is under kickboxing rules.  I have never seen crispier jabs and sneakier counterstriking in kickboxing in all my life. 

His ability to clench fight effectively and then land liver shots on the break must make Bas Rutten weep with joy.

Tenshin is also Stylebender levels of creative in the ring.  Nearly impossible to train for.

Someone better send Floyd this YouTube video to his Twitter feed.

Floyd won't take a fight that involves kicks for what RIZIN is going to pay him.

Sure RIZIN is sending him a check with some millions, but not enough for him to take that much of a risk.

18 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Floyd won't take a fight that involves kicks for what RIZIN is going to pay him.

Sure RIZIN is sending him a check with some millions, but not enough for him to take that much of a risk.

Then if I were Tenshin, I'd tell RIZIN to add a lot more zeroes to the end of my check if they wanted me to sign up to fight in Money's wheelhouse.

If I were that kid and I had that tool bag, there's no way I'd sign up for a boxing match where I'd be using less than half of my weapons and I'd be across the ring from the greatest prizefighters that has ever lived.

8 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I'm listening to WOR and supposedly Floyd getting the money that was received for the PRIDE purchase ($65 million) and some outside money totalling $100 million.

I'm super skeptical, but at the same time, Floyd fought off and on for twenty one years and never fought at MSG or anywhere outside Vegas except for the period where he couldn't draw anywhere save for Grand Rapids. That's going back fifteen to seventeen years when he was only making a few million per fight. He's getting at least $50 million to just make a trip. If he is getting ANOTHER $50 million for an exhibition, someone needs to check the folks at RIZIN into the nuthouse.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I really hope that $100 million figure isn't true because that will break Rizin's back.

No shit, but I mean none of these deals make sense really. ESPN will survive over paying UFC because the Mouse is a juggernaut. Hell, they're overpaying Top Rank if think about how terrible the ratings have gotten if you leave out Crawford's last fight. Showtime's deal with PBC makes a lot more sense if they can land some name fighters who no longer have HBO as an option. Either way, Showtime is owned by Viacom so it isn't a killer.

If DAZN, RIZIN, PFL, and ONE are all around in three or four years time, it says a lot about how dedicated folks are to creating a niche marketplace.

4 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

If this ends up being a three round exhibition like some folks are speculating, I wouldn't be surprised if even under straight boxing rules this ends up being a draw, if simply because Mayweather likely knows that Rizin is paying him to help them make a megastar. 

I would be surprised if it isn't a draw. Rizin isn't under a jurisdiction where there would be an active investigation about scorecards. They can do whatever. If they paid Floyd nine figures for Tenshin to lose a unanimous decision and not get any type of rub other than facing Mayweather, they are the most inept promoters in the history of combat sports. Everyone else is just competing for second.

• Like 2