DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (With 100% More Cages Suspended From Above Like Wrestling Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

Random RIZIN 10 notes:

The show drew 7,910 fans which is a slight increase from the 7,732 from the last Fukuoka, Japan event.

Tenshin requested a kickboxing tournament and Sakikabara said there's plans to possibly to start an 8 man kickboxing tournament in July with Tenshin, Kyoji and Taiga as potential participant. Fighters from Brazil, Europe, America and China are expected to participate. Semi finals in September and finals on NYE.

It looks like Murata suffered a broken orbital bone.

Jairzinho's yellow card was because he had cream rubbed on his body.

Unsure if a potential Kanna Asakura and RENA rematch at the moment.

Sakakibara praised Nunes, Kape and Garcia for their performances which means they should get an offer to return.

On 5/7/2018 at 3:34 AM, Edwin said:

Random RIZIN 10 notes:

The show drew 7,910 fans which is a slight increase from the 7,732 from the last Fukuoka, Japan event.

Very different times of the year, which is interesting. I guess they have a big enough core audience in Fukuoka since the last day of Golden Week is usually the "u-turn" day when lots of people are on the road traveling home. New Japan uses the draw of the Hakata Dontaku (2 million people coming into the city) to get at least some of their audience.

I get that Mo is substantially smaller than Bader, but getting knocked on your ass by a Ryan Bader jab at the beginning of the fight and never recovering should lead to some big career decisions being made. Not a good look.

Also, this:

Guy wanted to one-up Brock Lesnar's spin. 

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I get that Mo is substantially smaller than Bader, but getting knocked on your ass by a Ryan Bader jab at the beginning of the fight and never recovering should lead to some big career decisions being made. Not a good look.

Also, this:

Guy wanted to one-up Brock Lesnar's spin. 

The Bader-Mo fight and the HBO main event of Sadam Ali getting squashed by relatively unknown Jaime Munguia (between that and Linares losing, not a good night for Oscar De La Hoya) ended around the same time. I sent a text to our old moderator sprewellrimz who agreed that it's time for Mo to retire and probably coach wrestling. His knees have been shot, and he spent most of his career competing in the wrong weight classes. Bader and Phil Davis exposed that the Bellator LHW division is just pure garbage, but it's not like we all didn't know that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what to think about this David Rickels vs Michael Venom Page fight.   I have been sick of Rickels for years as I just don't think he is that good but has a goofy gimmick that people seem to like.   MVP has this incredible reputation of being great but I don't know if I have ever see him against a legit challenger.  All this fight is Page just dancing around embarrassing Rickels getting a few good shots in.  Then hit clocks him and busts him open bad and he just fucking quit.  I mean maybe he has a broken nose or something but it looked like he was just sick of Page's goofiness and just had it

Did no one else bother watching The Angel of Death demolish Thanh Le in less than three minutes? Aguilar is a BLD (bad little dude). He needs to get called up to UFC stat, he has nothing left to prove in LFA.

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Did no one else bother watching The Angel of Death demolish Thanh Le in less than three minutes? Aguilar is a BLD (bad little dude). He needs to get called up to UFC stat, he has nothing left to prove in LFA.

I suspect he will be on the Contender series at the very least seeing as Thanh Le already had a fight last season and was probably going to make another appearance this upcoming season.

Guest Edwin

Jiri Prochazka vs. Bruno Cappelozza, Saori Ishioka vs. Miyuu Yamamoto, Kanna Asakura vs. RENA II and Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Hiromasa Ogikubo have already been announced for RIZIN 11 on July 29.

I DVR'd Glory 54 yesterday and boy do I want Rico Verhoeven to do MMA while he is still in his prime. Against HW kickboxers, he can just sleepwalk his way to a 50-45 decision. It is a damn shame no one will offer him the money to do it.

This is how I know Viacom isn't that serious about Bellator competing with the UFC. Verhoeven could walk in and be their HW champion for both MMA and kickboxing and sell out large arenas in the Netherlands and other places in Western Europe. He wouldn't be their first ever homegrown draw since he has been a kickboxer forever but he would be a better alternative than Chael and Fedor seeing as he still in his 20s.

• Like 2

PFL 1 NYC was last night 

Alex Nicholson with a nasty flying Knee to win in the 2nd round .  Palmer won by Submission in the 2nd round and Harrison won the TV main event by DEC. 

PFL 2 is in 2 weeks from Chicago the 21st. 

DVR'd it and watched it after work. Nicholson was getting his ass whooped before that flying knee.

I get that that they only have certain number of fights they can throw on TV but the presentation (especially w/ Bas and Todd Harris still there) feels like WSOF just with a more convoluted concept mixed with those early Bellator cards with random main events with fighters loosely rooted in Latin America. Instead of doing six weight classes, I would have done two or three tops. If you can only do four fights on TV and all the rest of the fights have to be on Facebook or wherever with clips being shown on the broadcast later on, it makes it even more difficult to follow along. You had Steven Siler and Alexandre de Almeida get six points each but they show Lance Palmer, Timur Valiev, and Andre Harrison on the broadcast since they're more notable in terms of their relationship with the promotion under its former name. The rules kinda make sense (more pts for a faster finish), but if you have favoritism towards who makes the broadcast due to that reason, it's going to be stupid when certain fighters have mediocre performances. Andre Harrison is clearly the best fighter on the card (probably the whole promotion in terms of potential), the hometown guy, and the guy PFL is most invested in the wake of the mass exodus of notable ex WSOF fighters. So it also makes sense he is in the main event. My question is why is he matched up with a former UFC fighter who never made it past the prelims on those international Fight Pass card. You're spending all this money on these tournaments and one of the participants in the main event of the first ever card to present this concept is JUMABIEKE TUERXUN, a man won a grand total of zero UFC fights (0-3) in his one year with the promotion. What? I mean Harrison almost did get him out of there, but even Couture noted at the end the fight was sorta boring when Harrison just couldn't massacre him on the feet and Tuerxun was in survival mode while Harrison was in his guard. Keep in mind...this is the MAIN EVENT on the FIRST show of their inaugural season. This ain't a random prelim fight where the crowd is just starting to trickle in like some UFC card in Vegas. Yet, two guys who won in the prelims off TV where three points ahead of Harrison on the leaderboard.

I mean this is no fault of Harrison at all. He looked good, and he isn't a big finisher anyway. PFL just put him in a really bad spot. Not only did they pick a no name guy to face him, they picked one who was super tough, just fought twelve days earlier, and consequently, seemed to only be there for a paycheck. So the impressive finish they were betting on to skyrocket Harrison didn't happen and the end of the show was super anticlimactic. 

Also, Bas Rutten may be one of the worst post fight interviewers of all time.

• Like 1

We almost got a bonafide Dragon Sleeper in one of the CES matches tonight. Miletich said he wouldn't want to use that in a fight for fear of paralyzing somebody. Last three fights were all solid and the sudden finish in the third of the main was pretty out of nowhere. 

PFL #2 

O'Connell did commentary for several of the prelims fights then got rocked in the 1st round but was able to recover then win by stoppage in the 2nd round. 

High vs. Escudero ended in the controversy with the ref staying High lost by submission but High strongly protesting then storming around ringside after the fight. 

Kayla Harrison won her debut and just ran thru her opponent with her Judo 

Foster was losing to Nijem then he hit a Bicycle knee after a spin kick missed to win via ground and pound after it landed. 

Brooks won the Main event by DEC against Firmino 

PFL #3 in 2 weeks from Washington DC 

Macfarlane is always a joy to watch and looked amazing against a super tough opponent. Lara is super tough and only 23 so she has a crazy amount of time to grow plus going to team Grasso should improve her stand up. She can easily always stay around the time of the division and work her way to another title shot or join UFC division down the road. Letourneau/Williams was a great fight and Letourneau vs. Macfarlane in Hawaii will be amazing if it happens. 

• Like 1

Budd looked way better in this fight then in her last fight however as pointed out by Chael her opponent's game plan was confusing. 

Before anyone watches Bellator 202 be warned the replays of Dantas vs. McDonald has a nasty injury in the fight. 

• Like 1