DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Is Asian Race Relations - 9/19/2017

Dolfan in NYC

I thought the Owens/Vince promo was pretty awesome, but yeah it's hard to care about the Shane/Owens match.  For one, it feels like a rehash of Styles vs. Shane.  For another, I just don't get why Shane is continually booked in these matches.  He's 47 years old, and he probably shouldn't be taking bumps like this at his age.  The Hell in a Cell match with Undertaker was bad and basically pointless.  

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I just don't get why Shane is continually booked in these matches. 

You can thank the casual fans that showed back up to care about the cell match with Undertaker for this. I know we're all tired of seeing it, but there is an actual business-motivated reason to having the McMahons on TV. Remember that USA supposedly intervened when The Authority was initially taken off TV after Sting showed up to insist that the McMahons return. There's also supposedly a ratings bump whenever Vince shows up - don't know if that was the case last week or not.

Here's an idea I actually like.

A foreign heel who gets booed because he sucks at wrestling and is a cheater, but he blames it on being a foreigner and racism. He then meets another foreign wrestler who gets cheered, and his fucked up brain can't comprehend it so he tells the face that all the white people secretly hate him. He even takes it a step further and resorts to racist jabs revealing his own hypocrisy. It's like it's ripped from the headlines with every oppressed people battling each other over who is getting screwed most.

I think that's kinda great, especially when the face is of the same race I am and the fans react by calling the heel out instead of chanting USA USA USA, which is usually the case.

Do I think that's what they were thinking when they wrote it? Who knows. Sometimes they're Shakespeare and sometimes they're the million chimps with a million typewriters accidentally writing Hamlet. Either way they don't know how to handle these things well enough to satisfy anyone in the long run, so it probably would have been better if they left it alone.

Part of me likes to think that Jinder did it on his own. Like he was listening to Steve Austin's podcast(he's already got the upperbody business part down) and he was like "Yeah I need to take more risks and just ask forgiveness later." And his big idea to get heat was slipping "rook" in. 

• Like 2

I didn't actually watch the show, so I was reading the thread wondering if "rook" was some kind of racial slur I wasn't aware of, so I watched the segment for some context...

"Engrish" jokes in 2017, really? Whoever wrote that promo should've been fired when they handed it in for review.