DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL: WEEK THREE

Dolfan in NYC

So here's what PFT wrote about the end of the Lions game:

After Golden Tate appeared to score a game-winning touchdown with eight seconds left, an instant replay review ruled that Tate’s knee was down before the ball crossed the goal line. By NFL rule, when the clock was stopped only because of a call that was then overturned, there’s an automatic 10-second runoff. Because there were only eight seconds remaining when Tate was originally ruled to have scored, the runoff ended the game.

WHAT???  Why the hell is there an automatic 10-second runoff?  Would the Lions have had a chance to waste a timeout instead (assuming they had any)?

Just now, dogwelder said:

WHAT???  Why the hell is there an automatic 10-second runoff?  Would the Lions have had a chance to waste a timeout instead (assuming they had any)?

They didn't have any timeouts. The theory is that with eight seconds, that isn't enough time for a team to get up to the line and clock the ball. Its a tough rule since it doesn't take into account if it is a three yard play or a 30 yard play, as that would factor in if the team would have time to clock it. So I guess they figured 10 seconds was fair, I am not sure what that rule could be that would be perfect. Its just a really unusual situation.

2 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

I think they could have, but they didn't have any.

It's not extremely likely they could've gotten a snap off in those 8 seconds, but it's possible. Instead the rule says "go fuck yourselves"

BTW - just to confirm - the Lions could have used a TO to negate the 10 second runoff but didn't have any

And yes - they use 10 seconds as their best estimate of how much time would have run off if the play had been "called correctly"

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Titans and Seahawks is wild for some reason. Not a game I would have expected to be this entertaining. Also,  was Tate even down?  I saw the replay and it looked like a TD to me. 

Yeah, he was.