DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Ask Alex Riley - 9/18/2017

Dolfan in NYC

57 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wow. Such a deep cut by Roman to reference Alex Riley, a man who most of the audience probably doesn't even remember now, had to look on their phones for who Roman was talking about, saw a picture of a scraggly haired HHH clone with worse bacne, and then got confused even more when they saw he was an NXT wrestler.

Look, I get that Roman is just reading scripted shit, but it's fucking embarrassing. This company finds new ways to fuck up Roman's career and future every week. I'm sure whoever wrote this stuff thought they were writing these lines with a golden pen. Instead, Roman just looks so fucking fake. An Alex Riley reference in 2017? This motherfucker was either doing nothing, going as SILENT RAGE~!, which sounds like a WWE 2K18 CAW nickname, being a douche on Twitter, complaining about his position, and then he was gone. Unless you're us or a handful of others, no one remembers or cares and even if you did remember Alex Riley, the reference makes zero sense.

If they were going for shock appeal and already gave zero fucks about these promos not making any sort of sense, then Roman may as well have reference CM Punk. That would at least give them the "OOOOOOOOOOOH" response they were hoping for. Instead he threw out a reference that is barely more relevant than mentioning JTG.

I don't think you actually remember who Alex Riley was either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Really? So I'm stupidly interpreting your comment as Miz Lackey Alex Riley and Face Turn Alex Riley as being really worth remembering, but I'm fucking dumb and don't remember anything well anymore. I at least remember that was the early half of his WWE run. The later half had him at the PC and doing nothing in NXT.

I don't remember Alex Riley well. I at least remember that he sucked.

EDIT: This is a more accurate response.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Really? So Miz Lackey Alex Riley and Face Turn Alex Riley really is worth remembering? That was the early half of his WWE run. The later half had him at the PC and doing nothing in NXT.

I remember Alex Riley well. I remember that he sucked.

I think he's referring to "Silent Rage" being Andy Leavine's nickname, not Riley's.

Ok settle down, Crazypants.

I was kinda hoping for more as far as a Heenan tribute goes, but, and this is kind of sad, how many people in WWE right now ever worked directly with Heenan? You had Booker, who talked about his commentary days in WCW. Show's out. Vince is selling the KO attack from last week. I dunno how much Hunter or Regal were ever actually around Heenan, who I think other than his like one short stint with Flair and Arn, just kinda showed up in WCW, did his thing and cashed his check.

Man, now I'm depressed all over again. *goes back to look at that gif of Braun flattening Enzo*

I did mention over in the Heenan thread that apparently the plan is to air a documentary on the Network about Heenan.

Dave said they filmed a bunch of backstage interviews before RAW to be used in it.

19 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Ok settle down, Crazypants.

I was kinda hoping for more as far as a Heenan tribute goes, but, and this is kind of sad, how many people in WWE right now ever worked directly with Heenan? You had Booker, who talked about his commentary days in WCW. Show's out. Vince is selling the KO attack from last week. I dunno how much Hunter or Regal were ever actually around Heenan, who I think other than his like one short stint with Flair and Arn, just kinda showed up in WCW, did his thing and cashed his check.

Man, now I'm depressed all over again. *goes back to look at that gif of Braun flattening Enzo*

Bobby Heenan's last appearance as a full-fledged member of WWF was 24 years ago.  The only ones I really feel would know him as more than just an announcer would be Vince and Arn (Bobby did manage him in WWF).   You could also throw Shawn Michaels and Terry Taylor if you want to take the NXT route.  You can throw Taker in there too, I guess, though Heenan's managing days were over by the time Taker turned face.  

If you want to be really depressed, Bobby Heenan's last WWF TV appearance?  10 years ago eulogizing Vince in that stupid "Who blew up the limo?" angle.

People might not believe this but Alex Riley was over for a long time.  Or at least his theme was.  It all started with the break up between he and The Miz.  Credit to The Miz because he can pretty much get anything over by being a complete chickenshit.  After their feud ended there wasn't much for Riley but whenever he'd show back up and his theme hit he'd get a nice pop.  This went on for like two years. I remember you,  Riley. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The biggest smark I know was always ranting and raving about his hatred of Cena because he allegedly buried Alex Riley. 

I assume a lot of those types of fans still hate Cena for "burying" dudes and Roman was just trying to play into that audience. 

I really hate it when fans react to the "meta" of the story -- the supposed backroom dealings -- than the actual story presented. One of the reasons why is because of feuds like this. 

I liked how the feud started -- battle of the big dogs, with Roman stating he didn't need to fight Cena. But they got too into meta. It isn't a case of one guy looking good or the other looking bad. It's just boring. It's the end result of what happens when you book a feud that appeals to people reacting to 411HotRumorz.com. The personal digs are dumb and it should really be more of "you're an old man who can't hang" against "you're nowhere near as good as me and never will be." 

It sucks because Cena and Roman are so f'n great. That match is going to tear the roof down. 

Brock/Braun has just been a better build. Brock has to face a monster finding his footing and looks really vulnerable.

30 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Roman's SHOOTZ~ have been "What's wrong Sid, can't find your scissors?" levels of cringey. Shame this was the go home show, I think we were a week away from Roman going George Costanza on Cena. 

WellI-had-sex-with-your-wife_o_124845.gi

Worked for Ric Flair in his feud with Savage.

• Like 3

On 9/18/2017 at 8:08 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm going to have this looping all day tomorrow.  God bless Braun.

qO6Tl1w.gif

Is there some Cena-Alex Riley connection I'm not aware of or have simply forgotten?  

Anyone else notice Enzo lands on the microphone? That couldn't have felt good.