DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Bobby Heenan

Gonzo

On September 21, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Brian Fowler said:

According to Bix's eulogy at deadspin, Bobby went to wcw for health insurance. Meltzer's quick bio said Vince decided not to renew his contract. 

I can't imagine him in attitude era WWF

I can easily see it actually. I can see Heenan playing a Lawler-esque stooge for McMahon and taking digs at Steve Austin every chance he got. 

I imagine Heenan having great chemistry with Mr. McMahon. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

I can easily see it actually. I can see Heenan playing a Lawler-esque stooge for McMahon and taking digs at Steve Austin every chance he got. 

I imagine Heenan having great chemistry with Mr. McMahon. 

Heenan would have been a great third stooge with Pat and Jerry.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Call me crazy, but if it came down to a streetfight, I'm taking the pudgy white dude. Heenan was no joke.

Heenan would have been smart enough to have Haku and the Barbarian lurking somewhere nearby just in case. He wasn't "The Brain" for no reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Hamhock said:

This tag match then led to Heenan vs. Fuji at the Nassau Colosseum.

Of all the places they do that match, why at Nassau at an un-televised  show. Unless there is maybe a solo cam feed tape or something from the venue. Just imagine that match if that's the case, it's sitting on some unmarked tape collecting dust probably like the Last Battle of Atlanta tape was for all those years.

As for Bobby if he were around for the Attitude era. My God could you imagine if he took one stunner from Austin? He'd probably come out the next week in a full body cast.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Of all the places they do that match, why at Nassau at an un-televised  show. Unless there is maybe a solo cam feed tape or something from the venue. Just imagine that match if that's the case, it's sitting on some unmarked tape collecting dust probably like the Last Battle of Atlanta tape was for all those years.

Every now and then they would broadcast non-Garden shows on the MSG Network... I remember at least one from Nassau and the Meadowlands (the latter with Howard Finkel on color, no less).

EDIT: Found the results for that show. 15,000!

WWF @ Long Island, NY - Nassau Coliseum - August 2, 1991 (15,000)
Greg Valentine pinned Paul Roma with a roll up
The Berzerker pinned Jim Powers
Bobby Heenan pinned Mr. Fuji (w/ the Berzerker) after hitting him with brass knuckles when Fuji missed trying to throw salt in Heenan's eyes
IRS & Ted Dibiase (w/ Sensational Sherri) defeated Bret Hart & Virgil when Dibiase pinned Virgil after Sherri interfered
Ricky Steamboat pinned Hercules
Jimmy Snuka defeated Demolition Smash
The Beverly Brothers defeated the Bushwhackers via disqualification after Luke was hit with the ring bell
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan pinned the Warlord

From Dave's piece in the Observer -

While adversaries on television, Heenan loved Monsoon, and went with the idea that if he was going to leave, that Monsoon should be the one to kick him out of the promotion, which he did on the December 6, 1993, edition of Raw from White Plains, NY. Heenan said that after the show, he and Monsoon went to the hotel room and cried for an hour on each others’ shoulders because they weren’t going to be working together any longer.

tumblr_ostf335uNy1vaosveo1_400.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

The fantasy booking of Bobby Heenan in the attitude era makes me sad because he would have been gold in whatever role he was in. He would have easily been better than Lawler at being the heel color man. It would have been cool to have Bret and Heenan make amends during the '97 Hart Foundation run. Bret could have admitted that Bobby was right all along about the humanoids. He would have fit as one of Vince's stooges in the corporation.

I'm sure Bobby got paid an obscene amount of money from WCW, and I'm glad he got health insurance from them, and was able to be close to his daughter at college, but WCW wasted his talent, but that was par for the course for WCW. It was a no brainer that he should have been in the nWo. He certainly could have filled Bischoff's spot better than Bischoff did.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Dewar said:

But then he would have had to stop hating Hogan. I'm not sure I could have dealt with that.

There still could have been a general distrust over who was going to stab who in the back first. Heenan could have been quick to point out that he was right about Hogan 10-12 years before anybody else figured him out.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The fantasy booking of Bobby Heenan in the attitude era makes me sad because he would have been gold in whatever role he was in. He would have easily been better than Lawler at being the heel color man. It would have been cool to have Bret and Heenan make amends during the '97 Hart Foundation run. Bret could have admitted that Bobby was right all along about the humanoids. He would have fit as one of Vince's stooges in the corporation.

I'm sure Bobby got paid an obscene amount of money from WCW, and I'm glad he got health insurance from them, and was able to be close to his daughter at college, but WCW wasted his talent, but that was par for the course for WCW. It was a no brainer that he should have been in the nWo. He certainly could have filled Bischoff's spot better than Bischoff did.

DiBiase got hosed when Bischoff wanted the glory. Heenan wouldn't have quite fit with that crowd. Realistically, the nWo should have been the New Generation stars that McMahon sent down to destroy the guys that went Benedict Arnold on him.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

DiBiase got hosed when Bischoff wanted the glory. Heenan wouldn't have quite fit with that crowd. Realistically, the nWo should have been the New Generation stars that McMahon sent down to destroy the guys that went Benedict Arnold on him.

DiBiase absolutely got hosed. I don't know if Heenan would have been anymore out of place than Bischoff, Savage, Elizabeth, Chono, Muta, Stevie Ray, Dusty, Horace Hogan, Bret, Crush, Beefcake, The Giant, Sting, Luger, etc.

I thought Heenan was perfect in going back and forth for a bit, trying to play his cards right but ultimately siding with WCW because the nWo was too evil for even Heenan. And yeah, I don't think he would've been a good fit for them, so it worked out mostly in the end. Tony, Dusty & Bobby is probably my favourite commentary team, defo the best trio. Tony & Ventura is probably my favourite duo though.

20 hours ago, Pete said:

EDIT: Found the results for that show. 15,000!

WWF @ Long Island, NY - Nassau Coliseum - August 2, 1991 (15,000)
Greg Valentine pinned Paul Roma with a roll up
The Berzerker pinned Jim Powers
Bobby Heenan pinned Mr. Fuji (w/ the Berzerker) after hitting him with brass knuckles when Fuji missed trying to throw salt in Heenan's eyes
IRS & Ted Dibiase (w/ Sensational Sherri) defeated Bret Hart & Virgil when Dibiase pinned Virgil after Sherri interfered
Ricky Steamboat pinned Hercules
Jimmy Snuka defeated Demolition Smash
The Beverly Brothers defeated the Bushwhackers via disqualification after Luke was hit with the ring bell
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan pinned the Warlord

That looks like an awful show. Though, if it was 1984 and there was a house show with Hogan, Snuka, Steamboat, DiBiase, Valentine, Bret Hart, Rotundo, and the Sheepherders on it, it'd be a great card.

20 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I thought Heenan was perfect in going back and forth for a bit, trying to play his cards right but ultimately siding with WCW because the nWo was too evil for even Heenan. And yeah, I don't think he would've been a good fit for them, so it worked out mostly in the end. Tony, Dusty & Bobby is probably my favourite commentary team, defo the best trio. Tony & Ventura is probably my favourite duo though.

Honestly, I don't know if anyone else feels this way or not, but in my opinion, Heenan's commentary on Nitro was a big part of getting Goldberg over. Referring to him as "Da Man" was definitely all Heenan and maybe even "Who's Next?" but I'm less positive on that one.

The Bobby Heenan Collection is now up on the Network.  First thing?  Heenan's debut as Bockwinkel's manager.

It's funny how much Bobby seemed to not want to be called "The Brain" at first.  Nick flat out calls him it and Bobby instead asks that he be referred to as Bobby "The Brilliant One" Heenan.  And I know there's another AWA promo where he calls himself Bobby "The Mind" Heenan.  

• RIPPA unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Meltzer's follow-up to Heenan's obit this week is pretty great just for the story about "Vaughn" and how Bobby would literally take bumps in convenience stores to amuse Mike Tenay.

• 2 weeks later...