DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Bobby Heenan

Gonzo

On 9/18/2017 at 8:48 PM, elizium said:

By coincidence, the episode of Prime Time I landed on after Bobby's passing is the one where he throws himself a party for his 2nd year anniversary on the show. Pretty fitting and pretty sweet at the end. Gorilla lets his guard down, while Bobby is "passed out", to say he's really not that bad of guy.

RIP Brain.

QkFXyCf.jpg?1

n5xS2ZL.jpg?1\

The very next episode and Bobby is out here accusing Gorilla of roofie-ing him.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2017 at 1:36 AM, davekool666 said:

This right here. I watched it two nights ago waiting for my wife to come home from work. I thought he was going to have at least six different heart attacks but when Flair finally won...fuck gonna miss him best rumble match ever in my opinion.

I loved him and Perfect crowing, "we're not the type of guys to say we told ya so but.....WE TOLD YA SO!"

• Like 2

I'd never seen Heenan wrestle before except when he was playing a manager who couldn't wrestle. Someone (possibly in this thread) referenced a 1984 AJPW match with him and Billy Robinson against Great Kabuki and a young Haku and yeah, he's actually genuinely good, even as a guy who probably wasn't wrestling much anymore.

14 hours ago, Cristobal said:

I'd never seen Heenan wrestle before except when he was playing a manager who couldn't wrestle. Someone (possibly in this thread) referenced a 1984 AJPW match with him and Billy Robinson against Great Kabuki and a young Haku and yeah, he's actually genuinely good, even as a guy who probably wasn't wrestling much anymore.

Yeah, I mentioned this match.  I wonder if there is a list of Heenan in Japan matches. I don't know if there are many, but just from this it might be something interesting to watch. Him taking Kabuki's kicks were amazing.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

According to Bix's eulogy at deadspin, Bobby went to wcw for health insurance. Meltzer's quick bio said Vince decided not to renew his contract. 

I can't imagine him in attitude era WWF

He couldn't have been any worse than Jerry Lawler.

• Like 2

On 18/9/2017 at 7:57 AM, The Natural said:

Just heard the news on BBC 5 Live, normally wrestlers passing don't get mentioned, Bobby Heenan rightly does.

Best manager and colour commentator. Bought a new DVD player and the first thing I'll ever play on it is the 1992 Royal Rumble match today.

R.I.P. Bobby the Brain Heenan. Thank you.

Glorious match and commentary. ***** for both.

IIRC, in his autobiography he said he was also completely burnt out from the WWF touring schedule. He had to basically carry an entire wardrobe by himself on that brutal schedule cross-country for years. He also had nagging injuries by that time (which looking at that bump above makes me understand). 

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

7n4uHoi.gif

I remember the MSG feud between Heenan and Fuji. It started when Heenan turned over his managerial duties for the Barbarian to Mr. Fuji for his match against Bret. Fuji's interference backfired, costing Barb the match. That led to Mr. Fuji & Kato vs. Haku & the Barbarian. Fuji was filling for Tanaka, whose father had passed away.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I remember the MSG feud between Heenan and Fuji. It started when Heenan turned over his managerial duties for the Barbarian to Mr. Fuji for his match against Bret. Fuji's interference backfired, costing Barb the match. That led to Mr. Fuji & Kato vs. Haku & the Barbarian. Fuji was filling for Tanaka, whose father had passed away.

This tag match then led to Heenan vs. Fuji at the Nassau Colosseum.

3 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Now this is a match i am sad was never broadcasted. And on those MSG shows the crowd was ready to cheer Heenan on in kicking Fuji's ass too. And Heenan cut a "FIIIIIRRRRED Up!" level ass-kicking face promo on Fuji afterward too.

The only thing that could have topped it is if Monsoon had left the broadcast table and saved Heenan from a beatdown. The crowd would have lost it for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1