DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Bobby Heenan

Gonzo

Bobby Heenan in WCW never felt right to me, even in spite of the large amount of ex WWF guys that also went to WCW. I especially hated when Tony Schiavone wouldn't play off Heenan's jokes. I don't even want to get started on Heenan being replaced by Mark Madden.

Comparing Bobby Heenan to Mark Madden is like comparing ice cream to horse manure.

• Like 1

By coincidence, the episode of Prime Time I landed on after Bobby's passing is the one where he throws himself a party for his 2nd year anniversary on the show. Pretty fitting and pretty sweet at the end. Gorilla lets his guard down, while Bobby is "passed out", to say he's really not that bad of guy.

RIP Brain.

QkFXyCf.jpg?1

• Like 1

WCW Nitro comes back from commercial. A series of promotional sponsor logo spots appear on-screen as Schiavone reads them. The second or third was for Snickers.

Heenan: Heh heh heh heh.

Schiavone: ....and Snickers! Packed with -

Heenan (continues): heh heh heh.

Schiavone: peanu- what are you laughing about?

Heenan (quietly): I'm not, I'm snickering.

*silence for the rest of the spot*

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Greggulator said:

A ton of my comedy friends are all tipping the cap today. The Bobby Heenan Show especially.

Watching just a little Heenan on YouTube (with plans to watch a lot more), it amazed me what a great physical comedian he was. The thing with the phone not working is pure Laurel and Hardy.

A personal favorite Heenan performance of mine that isn't super well-known: Survivor Series Showdown 1990.

Bobby is INSANE on this one. What would otherwise be a throw-away show of non-important matches to build to the Survivor Series PPV becomes one of the most entertaining watches ever thanks to Bobby channeling early'80s coked-up Robin Williams and just going on a rapid-fire one-liner tear throughout the whole show that is actually a little exhausting when all is said and done.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FireThunder said:

After much soul searching, I don't have much to add to what's already been said.  He was one of a kind, never to be duplicated.  So, here's a compilation of Bobby destroying the Hart family at SurSer '93, created by Maffew.

YES! Thank you. I mentioned this earlier in the thread and had no goddamn luck finding it.

I'm glad the man is finally at peace after the rough final few years he had. As a kid I hated Bobby so much. But as I grew older, I realized how funny and amazing he was (and also right in most of his situations). He was right about Hulk Hogan for all those years. If we only opened our eyes sooner.

Watching old Bobby matches from the AWA, my God could the guy take a beating for his team. He was willing to get splattered just to get the other guys over. I don't think you'll ever find anyone willing to do that ever again. I mean yeah, look at those old magazine covers where it looks like he's lost a pint of blood. That's dedication to the craft. But Bobby doesn't get nearly enough credit as a wrestler. He could wrestle. He just knew he didn't have to because that's not where his money was made. People weren't paying to see him be Lou Thesz.

I don't know how to post the video, but on my FB feed someone posted a video of Bobby Heenan teaming with Billy Robinson in AJPW in 1984 against The Great Kabuki and a young Haku. Heenan was doing serious wrestling and at one point trading blows and headbutts with Haku. HAKU.

But yes, I hope he was greeted by Monsoon at the gates after they had St. Peter keep looking in the guest book to say his name wasn't there as a gag.

• Like 1

tumblr_npvomm0Qxq1rg89a6o1_1280.jpg

Here we come, reach for your gun
And you better listen well my friend, you see
It's been slow down below,
Aimed at you, we're the cowboys from hell
Deed is done again, we've won
Ain't talking no tall tales friend
Cause high noon, your doom
Comin' for you we're the cowboys from hell

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MADCAP said:

"The best thing about beating up Ricky Ataki is that 30 minutes later, you want to beat him up again."  

No chance you could get away with that one today.

Though my personal favorite in that category is still "Tito Santana is like a cue ball. The harder you strike him, the more English you get out of him."

• Haha 3

Brain: "Do you know what Koko B. Ware's mom's name is?"
Gorilla: "What?"
Brain: "Tupper"

(KoKo-B-Ware enters the ring with this wild new hairdo; stripes running front to back dyed in parakeet colors. You can almost hear the gears start to turn in Heenan's head.)
Brain: Do you know what KoKo calls his new hair style?
Gorilla: (With a groan) No. What?
Brain: Afroturf.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1