DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Bobby Heenan

Gonzo

God, I just remembered him getting onto Dusty trying to pronounce Jeeves like "Jives" during the beginning of that ultraviolent Regal/Finlay match (the Uncensored nosebreak one, not the parking lot one).

Brain: "What did he call him?"

Tony: "Chives."

Brain: "Isn't that when you walk too fast you need powder?" 

Tony: "No... no, no, that's hives."

Brain: "That's chafes. Close enough. *pauses for one beat* JEEVES is his name! Jeeves." 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I am not kidding when I say Bobby Heenan may be my biggest single influence as a comedian. I usually play characters who are pompous blowhards and he was the best at it and is really only challenged by Ted Knight.

Maybe the greatest one night wrestling story ever told was Flair winning the Rumble. Heenan's commitment to constantly putting Flair over -- the over-the-top desperation -- was incredible.

Funny that you said that because Tom Arnold kind of said the same thing in a tweet.  Plus Meltzer compared him to Ted Knight as well

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Back around 2005, Bobby appeared on this ROH show I went to at the Rexplex in North Jersey. Before the show, he was taking pictures with fans for ten bucks a Polaroid. Of course I was on that shit in a heartbeat. When I handed the photo guy a twenty and he gave me my change, the twenty fell on the floor and he didn't see it. I said, "Hey man, you dropped that twenty."

Bobby puts his arm around me for the pose and says to me, "You're not originally from New Jersey, are you?"

I say, "No."

He says, "I know, cause if you were you woulda kept that twenty."

And then the pic was taken.

167684_178619095512164_398777_n.jpg

Rest in peace to the greatest of all time.

I told myself I wouldn't cry at work today.  Goddammit, Johnny.

Just remembered one of my favorite Heenan bits on Nitro. They were building to Kevin Sullivan vs Chris Benoit in Milwaukee in a falls-count-anywhere match, and Heenan was talking about how "they can fight in the aisles, fight backstage, leave the arena and fight each other all the way onto Crusher's lawn..." and Tenay was laughing so hard you couldn't hear the rest of it. :lol:

• Like 2

"Is there anything else?"

"I saw nine goats out back" 

:lol: Drunk Bobby is such a dick

EDIT: Goddamn, those chairs not giving on the powerbomb at the end of the match was NAS. TEE. You also gotta love Bobby telling them to do the logical thing after the table kickout and let themselves get pinned so they can go home

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Funny that you said that because Tom Arnold kind of said the same thing in a tweet.  Plus Meltzer compared him to Ted Knight as well

A ton of my comedy friends are all tipping the cap today. The Bobby Heenan Show especially.

I know WWE wouldn't do it for a variety of reasons, but they could make RAW a three hour Bobby Heenan tribute show and no one would bat an eye. Also I will cringe during the inevitable moment tonight where Corey Graves says something outlandish and Michael Cole yells at him "WILL YOU STOP!"

3 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

Not much to add to what everyone else has said. I think one thing for me is that The Brain is the guy I think of when as I aged and went from "like the faces, hate the heels" to more of an appreciation for how good the performance of a role is. I always marveled at how quick witted he was, too. And sorry Hogan marks---Bobby spells it out right here-

1-2-3.

Not to take too much of the focus away from Heenan, but Andre the Giant pushed this over the top into "legendary promo" status for me by paraphrasing a couple of Princess Bride lines at the end. 

(It's missing Andre-as-Dread-Pirate-Roberts saying "THERE WILL BE NO SURVIVORS," but you get the jist.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brysynner said:

I know WWE wouldn't do it for a variety of reasons, but they could make RAW a three hour Bobby Heenan tribute show and no one would bat an eye. Also I will cringe during the inevitable moment tonight where Corey Graves says something outlandish and Michael Cole yells at him "WILL YOU STOP!"

I was thinking of that yesterday. Nobody would complain about a three hour Bobby Heenan tribute. Corey Graves has to use humanoid tonight.

I don't remember if it was here or in a facebook group, but someone kind of summed up how Bobby Heenan impacted my wrestling fandom.  When I first started watching, I rooted for the faces(especially Hogan) and despised Bobby and the Heenan Family.  Then once I started watching WCW and I became a Ric Flair fan, I started rooting for the heels.  When Heenan started cutting the promos about Flair coming in, that's when everything clicked for me and Bobby became one of my all time favorites.  I loved the 1992 Royal Rumble like, well, everyone I assume.  Today, my 9 year old and I are watching it so she can start learning to appreciate The Brain, too.  I shed some tears last night watching his HOF speech, and I'm sure I'll end up laughing until I cry later when I watch that Duggan match where Bobby just cracks up the entire time.  I think I'll break out his two books and start re-reading them for the fifth or sixth time, too.  Thanks for the hours upon hours of enjoyment I had watching you enjoy yourself and love your job Mr. Heenan.

This is sad, of course it is; probably the shittiest one for me since Dusty passed but, at the same time, I've gone through the gifs and videos in this thread and just about pissed myself laughing at the antics of the greatest of all time, bar none. Johnny Sorrow's shit eating grin at meeting him just topped it off, thanks for posting that, dude.

I always remember Bockwinkel saying that Bobby Heenan was so good he could have done what Bockwinkel did but Bockwinkel could never have done what Bobby Heenan did. 

It was possibly more long winded than that though because, to paraphrase the great man himself, you ask Nick Bockwinkel the time and he'll tell you how to build a watch.

I'm off to spend the rest of the night on youtube.

David McClane  tweeting something remembering Bobby and I remember when they were taping something with the Lakers owner and they had Shaq on the court practicing free throws (he was notoriously bad at them), as the segment was cutting out and away from him on the court, you hear Bobby yell something like "IT WENT IN!"

There's also the quote of him and Tenay hosting Cauliflower Alley in their suits and saying "Don't we look like the top of Pat Patterson's wedding cake".

• Haha 1

Just now, Rev Ray said:

David McClane  tweeting something remembering Bobby and I remember when they were taping something with the Lakers owner and they had Shaq on the court practicing free throws (he was notoriously bad at them), as the segment was cutting out and away from him on the court, you hear Bobby yell something like "IT WENT IN!"

Even better, I think McClane yelled "IT WENT IN" and Heenan immediately replied "It's a fake!"

I think it was Flair who talked about the old AWA shows where fans would jump out of the stands to attack Bobby when he managed the Blackjacks... so after the show they were brought to the back, in a room with Bobby and his charges... and BOBBY would beat the shit out of the fan while the Blackjacks watched. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1